Subject: [shim6] Meeting at IETF79

From: Javier Ubillos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:58:27 +0200

Is any one interested in having a shim6 meeting in Beijing?

Given the chance, we would like the opportunity to demo a variant of
shim6 using names (FQDNs) rather than a pseudo addresses.
This way, the connection is not dependent on whether or not the first IP
address becomes revoked or not.
Also, we have a mechanism to improve robustness for the case when both
nodes move at the same time and both loose working locators to each
other (made possible due to the changes).

In short
* Binding to names rather than pseudo IPs for session continuity
* Robustness using a recovery mechanism for when the set of locators = 0

If there is interest, we'll also writeup a draft describing the changes
and mechanisms more in detail, for now this is the available material.
Please see section 6 for the shim6 specific parts.
http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-ubillos-name-based-sockets-02.txt

The aim is to break up this document into two or three, where the
mobility part (shim6) would stand as its own document.

// Javier

---

From: Javier Ubillos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:00:14 +0200

Link correction: 
The draft can be found here:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ubillos-name-based-sockets-02.txt

// Javier

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 19:00:07 +0200

> shim6 using names (FQDNs) rather than a pseudo addresses.

Sounds like RRG material, now that their agenda is open.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:26:09 +1200

> Sounds like RRG material, now that their agenda is open.

I agree. But do we need a meeting as a target for finishing off
the open drafts?

   Brian

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:20:18 +1000

> I agree. But do we need a meeting as a target for finishing off

There is one open draft (applicability) and one that I need to do a proto write up of (api)

I am perfectly happy to schedule a wg session if there is interest.

Geoff

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:47:18 +1200

> There is one open draft (applicability) and one that I need to do a proto write up of (api)

How close are we to WGLC for draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-06?

IMHO, it needs a quick tidy-up but then it's done. If we could drop
some of the I-D references for dead drafts, that would be good.

> I am perfectly happy to schedule a wg session if there is interest.

I'd say: only if we have significant issues in -applicability.
Otherwise, declare victory.

   Brian

---

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:02:35 +0200

> some of the I-D references for dead drafts, that would be good.

This is our feeling as well.
We have produced a new version of the document and we think it is ready 
(modulo the dead references that brian mentions, that we may have missed)
> Otherwise, declare victory.
yep, imho we can ship both docs to the IESG without need for a meeting 
(for these docs at least)

Regards, marcelo

>     Brian
> _______________________________________________
> shim6 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/shim6
>