Subject: [Sidr] Re: IESG review of SIDR charter

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:46:32 +1100

At 09:53 AM 3/02/2006, Alex Zinin wrote:
>Oh, and it would be great if we could have the new text
>early next week, so we wouldn't have any extra delay with external
>review.

Hi Alex,

Its now early next week - so here's a revised charter that reflects the IESG
comments, as you've requested.

regards,

    Geoff

============================================

Secure Inter-Domain Routing (sidr)
Last Modified: 2006-02-06 (V6)

Chair(s):
  TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
  Bill Fenner <fenner at research.att.com>
  Alex Zinin <zinin at psg.com>

Routing Area Advisor:
  TBD

Other Advisors:
  ? Security: TBD
  ? Routing: TBD

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: sidr at ietf.org
  To Subscribe: sidr-request at ietf.org
  In Body: (un)subscribe
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

  One of the areas of vulnerability for large scale Internet
  environments lies in the area of inter-domain routing.  The basic
  security questions that can be posed regarding routing information
  are whether the originating Autonomous System is authorized to
  advertise an address prefix by the holder of that prefix, whether
  the originating AS is accurately identified by the originating
  Autonomous System Number in the advertisement, and the validity of
  both the address prefix and the Autonomous System Number.  A related
  question concerns the level of trust than can be ascribed to
  attributes of a route object in terms of their authenticity,
  including consideration of the AS Path attribute.

  The Routing Protocol Security Group (RPSEC) has been chartered to
  document the security requirements for routing systems, and, in
  particular, to produce a document on BGP security requirements.
 
  The scope of work in the SIDR working group is to formulate an 
  extensible architecture for an interdomain routing security 
  framework. This framework must be capable of supporting incremental 
  additions of functional components. As and when interdomain routing
  security requirements are completed within the RPSEC Working Group,
  these requirements will be defined within the SIDR framework as
  functional components of a secure interdomain routing system.

  The scope of work will include describing the use of certification
  objects for supporting the distribution of authorization and
  authentication information. Both hierarchic and distributed non-
  hierarchic trust systems are intended to be supported within this
  framework. The intended support of both forms of trust models is to
  allow for the use of this framework for routing security in diverse
  routing environments that have different underlying trust
  characteristics.

  The scope of work is limited to inter-domain router-to-router
  protocols only, for both unicast and multicast systems.

  The SIDR working group is charged with the following tasks:

  - Document an extensible interdomain routing security architecture

  - Document the use of certification objects within this secure
    routing architecture
    
  - Document specific routing functionality modules within this
    architecture that are designed to address specific secure routing
    requirements as they are determined by the RPSEC Working Group

Goals and Milestones:

Aug-06    Submit initial draft on inter-domain routing security
          architecture

Sep-06    Submit  initial draft on certificate objects to be used
          within this architecture

Sep-06    Submit initial draft on securing origination of routing
          information

Jan-07    Submit routing security architecture for publication as an
          Informational RFC

Mar-07    Submit description of use certificate objects by this 
          architecture as an Informational RFC

Apr-07    Submit secure origination mechanism as a Proposed Standard

May-07    Evaluate progress, recharter with new goals or shutdown.

_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:52:02 -0800

Thanks, Geoff!
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:10:12 +1100

Hi,

At IETF65 its either going to be a 2nd BOF or an initial meeting of the 
SIDR Working Group, depending on the rate of progress of the SIDR charter 
through the IESG..

Either way I'd like to see what topics folk want to talk about / present on 
at the upcoming SIDR meeting, as I'd like to submit the agenda for the 
meeting at the start of next week.

So offers of agenda items / presentations for SIDR would be very much 
appreciated - _now_

thanks,

     Geoff