Subject: [sidr] Question on draft-ietf-sidr-signed-object draft

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 05:37:48 +1100

I am a little confused in reading section 4 of this draft.

The intro to this section states that:

  "Each RPKI signed object MUST be defined in an Internet standards
   track document based on this profile, by specifying the following
   data elements and validation procedure:"

My question is: Why is the Content-Type Attribute listed as a distinct
data element that requires specification? 

The relevant text (item 3) states that:

  "Content-Type Attribute:  The mandatory Content-Type Attribute
   MUST have its attrValues field set to the same OID as
   eContentType in item 1."

So I understand that in writing a document that uses a RPKI signed object I
have to define the eContentType, but I DO NOT need to also define the
Content-Type Attribute. If this is the case then why is this data element
listed in Section 4 of the draft as being a data element that MUST
be separately specified in the specific object specification?

regards,

  Geoff

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:13:24 -0400

Geoff:

The same OID is carried in two places, one that is covered by the
digital signature (the attribute) and one that is used to properly
perform the ASN.1 decode (the eContentType).

Russ