Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-00.txt

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:43:32 -0500

Hi Pradosh,

I provided a comment on draft-ietf-sidr-roa-validation-10
which is also applicable to this draft.
Please see my comment at:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg02106.html

Sriram
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked] [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [sidr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : BGP Prefix Origin Validation
        Author(s)       : P. Mohapatra, et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-00.txt
        Pages           : 11
        Date            : 2010-07-28

A BGP route associates an address prefix with a set of autonomous
systems (AS) that identify the interdomain path the prefix has
traversed in the form of BGP announcements.  This set is represented
as the AS_PATH attribute in BGP and starts with the AS that
originated the prefix.  To help reduce well-known threats against BGP
including prefix mis-announcing and monkey-in-the-middle attacks, one
of the security requirements is the ability to validate the
origination AS of BGP routes.  More specifically, one needs to
validate that the AS number claiming to originate an address prefix
(as derived from the AS_PATH attribute of the BGP route) is in fact
authorized by the prefix holder to do so.  This document describes a
simple validation mechanism to partially satisfy this requirement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-00.txt