Subject: [sidr] as-migration nit in bgpsec-protocol-13

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:12:22 +0000

I just made another pass through sidr-as-migration and bgpsec-protocol-13
back to back to make sure that they are in sync, and I only found one
sentence in the security considerations (7.4) that probably needs to be
changed:

Current:
However, entities other than route servers could
   conceivably use this mechanism (set the pCount to zero) to attract
   traffic (by reducing the effective length of the AS-PATH)
   illegitimately.  This risk is largely mitigated if every BGPsec
   speaker drops incoming update messages that set pCount to zero but
   come from a peer that is not a route server.

Proposed:
... if every BGPsec
speaker drops incoming update messages that set pCount to zero unless
explicitly configured to accept them from a specific peer where pCount=0
messages are expected, such as a route server.

Thanks,

Wes

On 7/6/15, 7:21 PM, "sidr on behalf of [email-masked]"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
>Group of the IETF.
>
>        Title           : BGPsec Protocol Specification
>        Author          : Matthew Lepinski
>Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-13.txt
>Pages           : 39
>Date            : 2015-07-06
>
>Abstract:
>   This document describes BGPsec, an extension to the Border Gateway
>   Protocol (BGP) that provides security for the path of autonomous
>   systems through which a BGP update message passes.  BGPsec is
>   implemented via a new optional non-transitive BGP path attribute that
>   carries a digital signature produced by each autonomous system that
>   propagates the update message.
>
>
>
>The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol/
>
>There's also a htmlized version available at:
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-13
>
>A diff from the previous version is available at:
>https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol-13
>
>
>Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
>submission
>until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>_______________________________________________
>sidr mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

________________________________

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.