Subject: [Sidrops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidrops-prefer-rrdp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 15:45:13 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIDR Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) Repository Requirements
        Authors         : Tim Bruijnzeels
                          Randy Bush
                          George Michaelson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidrops-prefer-rrdp-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   This document formulates a plan of a phased transition to a state
   where RPKI repositories and Relying Party software performing RPKI
   Validation will use the RPKI Repository Delta Protocol (RRDP)
   [RFC8182] as the only mandatory to implement access protocol.

   The first objective is to make RRDP the preferred access protocol,
   and require rsync as a fallback option only.  This will greatly
   reduce the operational burden and concerns for RPKI repository
   operators.

   In phase 0, today's deployment, RRDP is supported by most, but not
   all Repositories, and most but not all RP software.

   In the proposed phase 1 RRDP will become mandatory to implement for
   Repositories, in addition to rsync.  This phase can start as soon as
   this document is published.

   Once the proposed updates are implemented by all Repositories phase 2
   will start.  In this phase RRDP will become mandatory to implement
   for all RP software, and rsync will be required as a fallback option
   only.

   It should be noted that although this document currently includes
   descriptions and updates to RFCs for each of these phases, we may
   find that it will be beneficial to have one or more separate
   documents for these phases, so that it might be more clear to all
   when the updates to RFCs take effect.

   Furthermore, this document currently includes an early discussion of
   a future objective, which would be to change the RPKI standards such
   that names in RPKI objects are no longer tightly coupled to rsync.
   By using transport independent names and validation, we will obtain
   the agility needed to phase out rsync altogether and/or introduce
   other future access protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-prefer-rrdp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidrops-prefer-rrdp-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sidrops-prefer-rrdp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tim Bruijnzeels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 08:44:12 +0100

Dear working group,

I have asked for 15 minutes on this subject at the upcoming WG session.

Differences in this version:
- rename 'deprecate-rsync' -> 'prefer-rrdp' - as this is the first goal (phases 0-1-2)
- discuss deprecate rsync as a post-phase-2 goal
- start discussion of what would be needed to have transport agnostic names (no rsync in uris)
- moved implementation status overview to the end

Regards,
Tim

> On 23 Feb 2021, at 00:45, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sidrops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidrops