Subject: [Sidrops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 17:18:38 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIDR Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) object profile for Signed Checklist (RSC)
        Author          : Job Snijders
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2021-03-08

Abstract:
   This document defines a Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) profile
   for a general purpose listing of checksums (a 'checklist'), for use
   with the Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI).  The objective is
   to allow an attestation, in the form of a listing of one or more
   checksums of arbitrary digital objects (files), to be signed "with
   resources", and for validation to provide a means to confirm a
   specific Internet Resource Holder produced the Signed Checklist.  The
   profile is intended to provide for the signing of an arbitrary
   checksum listing with a specific set of Internet Number Resources.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-rsc-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 19:12:29 -0800

Signed Checklists are expected to facilitate inter-domain business
   authentication, inter-domain interconnection provisioning, and
   use-cases which depend on an ability to verify resource holdership.
   resource holdership verification processes.  RPKI-based validation
   processes are expected to become the industry norm for automated
   Bring Your Own IP (BYOIP) on-boarding or establishment of physical
   interconnection between Autonomous Systems.

worked examples of these use cases would be good

randy

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:25:35 +0100

> worked examples of these use cases would be good

Update for the working group:

In addition to an ASN.1 formal notation, the description of the CMS data
structure in a natural language, and two running code, Randy further
highers the barrier by requesting a 'worked example' is also included in
the draft.

Naturally, I immediately got down to work and wrote a 'worked example'
[1], which I shared privately with Randy. Unfortunately this text was
rejected as being unintelligible. Alternative text was not provided.
Thus this worked example will not be included in the draft as it does
not appear to increase readability of the RSC draft.

The trouble with 'worked examples' is that they merely a literary device
and not the real thing.

Kind regards,

Job

[1]: https://github.com/job/draft-rpki-checklists/commit/ff475d0ba3dad88731fdac7a804058cdd3871cb3

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 04:54:32 -0800

> rejected as being unintelligible.

no.  i said it was wrong.  more specifically missing a step, or leap.

like the previous discussion about rta is that it relies on a leap of
faith that some specific real world entity holds the private key of
AS 42.  e.g. whois (ewwww).

randy