Subject: Re: [Sidrops] [WGLC] draft-ietf-sidrops-rpkimaxlen-08 - ends 25/October/2021

From: Amir Herzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:34:31 -0400

Hello Chairs,

Apologies for my late comments.

I have read the document, and I think it is addressing an important problem
and provides a useful contribution to reduce vulnerability; I recommend its
adoption.

That being said, let me mention that, with some colleagues, we are working
on a possible future enhancements to ROAs. In particular, these
enhancements involve an improvement to the maxlength mechanism, which may
provide an efficient way allowing operators to announce sub-prefixes
if/when the need arises (e.g., to foil hijack and esp. DDoS attacks). I'm
also having sidebar discussions about this with the authors of this draft.
But I think (and I think all of us do) that this idea, even if it turns out
useful, should not delay the publication of the current proposal.
Obviously, any such change will require considerable discussion,
evaluation, refinement and adoption period.

Best, Amir
-- 
Amir Herzberg

Comcast professor of Security Innovations, Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Connecticut
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/home
`Applied Introduction to Cryptography' textbook and lectures:
 https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/applied-crypto-textbook
<https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/applied-crypto-textbook>

---

From: Amir Herzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:16:04 -0400

Small correction:

I have read the document, and I think it is addressing an important problem
and provides a useful contribution to reduce vulnerability; I support its
publication as a BCP.

(earlier I wrote by mistake `recommend its adoption')

Sorry for the mistake (and resulting spamming) - Amir
-- 
Amir Herzberg

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 11:34 AM Amir Herzberg <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have read the document, and I think it is addressing an important
> problem and provides a useful contribution to reduce vulnerability; I
> recommend its adoption.
>