Subject: Re: Support for the vacation extension

From: Michael Salmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:26:13 +0100

+----- On 22 Feb 1999 16:07:25 EST, Tim Showalter writes:
| Shouldn't this have been sent to the mailing list?

Yes, I haven't yet got into the habit of changing the address when I 
reply.

| I am willing to agree to your changes if you can get someone who knows
| more about i18n than I do other than yourself (i.e., anyone) to agree to 
| them.  I see the argument, and I realize that not having this ability
| will be inconvienent for the large number of users who aren't using
| UTF-8 in their mailers.
| 
| I don't think it's *that* difficult for the European languages, so I
| don't see a big issue to convert the UTF-8 in the script to 8859-1[5].

   The consensus seems to be that since microsoft has unicode support
there is no need to consider anything other than utf-8 which
coincidently means support for ASCII. It's one of the advantages of a
homogeneous computing environment I guess. My personal opinion is that
one should probably remove support for 8859-1 rather than have it alone.

/Michael