Subject: RE: Include vacation in sieve draft?

From: "Edward Hibbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Feb 1999 09:40:27 UT

I have a preference for this being an extension rather than 
incorporating it into the draft.  We are already receiving 
customer demands for support of SIEVE, and are working on an 
implementation.  So we'd like to avoid too much function creep 
in the draft, because our customers will (naturally) want us to 
support all the optional features too.

I appreciate that the point I'm making is not a technical 
argument, but I think it's good to get a standard out there for 
implementors to work to.  The current draft contains a useful 
level of function, so we'd rather that SIEVE made it to a 
standard and then extensions such as vacation were added on later,
 as with IMAP.

What do other implementors think?

Edward Hibbert
DCL

----------
From: 	Gregory Sereda 
Sent: 	17 February 1999 18:25
To: 	"[email-masked]" 
Subject: 	Include vacation in sieve draft?

Filter list members,

Originally, vacation was thought of as an sieve extension 
because not
all sites could support it.  Therefore, it was described in a 
separate
draft.  Now that sieve has several optional features, like 
reject
fileinto, envelope, why don't we incoporated "vacation" as 
just
another optional feature in the sieve spec?

I assume, althought its not stated, that scripts would need to
use the "require" action before using "vacation" as other
optional features are handled.  If so, the example should
be updated to show it.  Also, current example in vacation
has syntax error because it uses the older "forward", not
the current "redirect" action.
 
  Example:
             require "vacation";
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ added required check!!
             if header: contains "from" "[email-masked]" {
                forward "[email-masked]";
                ^^^^^^^ syntax, now called "redirect"
             } elsif header: contains ["to", "cc"]
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ redundant, 
vacation
checks
                   "[email-masked]" {
                vacation "Sorry, I'm away, I'll read your 
message
                   when I get around to it.";
             }