Subject: BOF Request, Minneapolis

From: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:05:27 -0500

We (Ned Freed and myself, on behalf of the mta-filters mailing list) would
like to formally request a BOF for Minneapolis for Sieve (MTA-Filters).

We'd prefer 1.5 hours, would settle for 1 or 2. 2.5 hours is decidedly
excessive.

No conflicts with: DRUMS, any IMAP-related or mail-related items, and
directory services-related areas, CALSCHED, and WEBDAV.

Prefer no conflicts with: any APPS area meeting, anything related to
telephony or voicemail.

Please note this will be the SECOND BOF on this topic. We have cleared this
with our area directors.

The acronym we have used in the past is 

SIEVE

which stands for "Sieve", but is shorthand for a standardized mail
filtering language.

Formal agenda with references, etc. follows.

-------

References:

  Information/overview: 

     http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/

  Drafts:

     http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-showalter-sieve-06.txt

       (Base spec)

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-00.txt
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-00.txt

(extensions)
 
Mailing List/Archives

Internet drafts on Sieve are discussed on the MTA Filters mailing list at
[email-masked]. (Note the name of the list does not imply Sieve
is an MTA-only filtering solution; the name is slightly anachronistic.)

Subscription requests can be sent to [email-masked] (send
an email message with the word "subscribe" in the body).

More information on the mailing list along with a WWW archive of back
messages is available at http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters.

Formal agenda for Minneapolis IETF:

Overview

Sieve is a proposed standard language for filtering RFC822[bis] messages at
time of final delivery. The basic concept for Sieve was discussed as part
of the Internet Mail architecture within the IETF as early as 1995, and a
formal first BOF was held at the 41st IETF in March, 1998. At the time,
there was strong consensus for standardization along the basic proposed
structure of Sieve, but a mix of consensus about extended functionality and
the basic syntax.

At this time, the participants of the mta-filters mailing list believe that
the base document is ready to move to Proposed Standard upon the resolution
of a number of minor issues. There are multiple implementations, and most
suggestions of extension of scope made at the 41st IETF BOF have not
re-appeared on the mailing list. The primary purpose of the meeting will be
to resolve these issues, update the community at large, and if there are
issues that preclude Sieve from proceeding along Standards-track as is, to
discuss a charter for a working group or other disposition of the work
within the standards track.

Agenda

Overview/Status/Agenda check -- Matt Wall -- 10 minutes
--
Review of Current Syntax -- Tim Showalter -- 15 minutes
Open Issues on draft -- Tim Showalter and Ned Freed -- 45 minutes
(reference, draft-showalter-sieve-06.txt)
  -- Multiple fileinto syntax issue
  -- review of reject/keep discussions
  -- minor syntax issues
--
Vacation in base spec or as extension? -- 5 minutes
--
Working Group -- necessary or not at this point? -- Matt and Ned (15
minutes)

A proposed charter will be posted on the mailing list prior to the meeting,
and mirrored on the web site. However, the idea at this point is that a
formal working group is simply not necessary, and this will be prepared as
a "Plan B" in order to continue work under the aegis of the IETF / Apps
area in the event this second BOF does not suffice to bring things to
closure, the work is not laid aside, and further meetings may be required.

The scope of the charter will be limited to completion of the so-called
"base" Sieve grammar and functional requirements.