Subject: Include vacation in sieve draft?

From: Gregory Sereda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:25:45 -0500

Filter list members,

Originally, vacation was thought of as an sieve extension because not
all sites could support it.  Therefore, it was described in a separate
draft.  Now that sieve has several optional features, like reject
fileinto, envelope, why don't we incoporated "vacation" as just
another optional feature in the sieve spec?

I assume, althought its not stated, that scripts would need to
use the "require" action before using "vacation" as other
optional features are handled.  If so, the example should
be updated to show it.  Also, current example in vacation
has syntax error because it uses the older "forward", not
the current "redirect" action.
 
  Example:
             require "vacation";
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ added required check!!
             if header :contains "from" "[email-masked]" {
                forward "[email-masked]";
                ^^^^^^^ syntax, now called "redirect"
             } elsif header :contains ["to", "cc"]
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ redundant, vacation checks
                   "[email-masked]" {
                vacation "Sorry, I'm away, I'll read your message
                   when I get around to it.";
             }

---

From: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:30:11 -0800

> another optional feature in the sieve spec?

	Sounds good to me, FWIW.

	Out of curiosity...are there any other draft extensions to
	sieve floating around at the moment?

-- 
J.D. Falk <[email-masked]>                     Got clue?  http://www.ispf.com/
Special Agent In Charge (Abuse Issues)
Critical Path, Inc.

---

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 1999 16:44:37 -0500

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:25:45 -0500
> From: Gregory Sereda <[email-masked]>
> 
> Filter list members,
> 

While I prefer the idea of vacation as an extension, we could do this.

The only good reason I can think of for making it a seperate document is 
that it can serve as an example of how to write an extension.

> the current "redirect" action.

Fixed, thanks.

-- 
Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>

---

From: Steve Hole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:37:19 -0700

> another optional feature in the sieve spec?

I think this is a wonderful idea.    I would claim that vacation and 
forwarding support are the most *generally* useful features of Sieve 
because there are other ways of getting the effects of fileinto -- 
especially in an IMAP4 client.     Not to start a holy war -- I'm just 
saying that there is *no* other way to get forwarding and vacation 
capabilities for a distributed mail client, and we desparately need that 
capability.

Cheers.
---  
Steve Hole                           
Execmail Inc.
Mailto:[email-masked] 
Phone: 780-424-4922

---

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Feb 1999 16:04:05 -0500

I consider vacation a fairly important use of Sieve.  Our old filtering 
system didn't have it, but you could sort of write it.  John Myers did
so, but most mortal users didn't have a workstation that they could
leave running.

Vacation is not that difficult to implement, so I don't want to hide it
to make life easier on people.  (Sorry.)  If its being in a second
document will discourage implementation, I am tempted to merge it into
the main document.  However, it is three pages of text, which is
substantially more than most other extensions, and I find it more
convienent to have in an external document.

I have no problem with trying to get them both out at the same time;
that's a very reasonable thing to do.

Steve and Gregory would like to see the documents merged.  I guess I'd
like to see one more person say they'd like to see it merged, and I'll
put them together.

Tim