Subject: Sieve white paper draft

From: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:16:03 -0500

Finally got around to revising this...

http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/sievewhitepaper.pdf

...is the white paper to which I alluded many moons ago.

NB this is meant to be a polemical, not a technical, document; sort of a
Sieve manifesto. 

It:

* makes the long case for an interoperable filtering language

* talks a lot about delivery as a separate layer, largely because I find
myself having to explain this too often

* Talks about requirements that went into Sieve, and things Sieve is not 

* Describes, rather breezily, the basic syntax

* Proposes some models for creation/editing, storage, transport, and
server-and client-side processing of scripts. Note I did not include Tim
M's recent protocol proposal in this discussion for fear of complicating
things at this point.

It's about 14 large-typed pages of actual content, plus pretty pictures,
etc.

Please send me non-trivial comments if you have time (e.g. correct
syntactically poor Sieve script examples; don't worry about misplaced
commas; send a note if a paragraph is unclear, don't fuss with my spelling.)

Thanks,

- Matt

[email-masked]

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:16:03 -0500
From: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Sieve white paper draft
Sender: [email-masked]

Finally got around to revising this...

http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/sievewhitepaper.pdf

...is the white paper to which I alluded many moons ago.

NB this is meant to be a polemical, not a technical, document; sort of a
Sieve manifesto. 

It:

* makes the long case for an interoperable filtering language

* talks a lot about delivery as a separate layer, largely because I find
myself having to explain this too often

* Talks about requirements that went into Sieve, and things Sieve is not 

* Describes, rather breezily, the basic syntax

* Proposes some models for creation/editing, storage, transport, and
server-and client-side processing of scripts. Note I did not include Tim
M's recent protocol proposal in this discussion for fear of complicating
things at this point.

It's about 14 large-typed pages of actual content, plus pretty pictures,
etc.

Please send me non-trivial comments if you have time (e.g. correct
syntactically poor Sieve script examples; don't worry about misplaced
commas; send a note if a paragraph is unclear, don't fuss with my spelling.)

Thanks,

- Matt

[email-masked]