Subject: Progressing various sieve drafts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

Folks, we now have a bunch of sieve drafts on the table. Is it time to
start some of them through the standards process? If so, which ones?

				Ned

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:19:58 -0400

Hi,

--On Monday, July 15, 2002 9:12 PM -0700 [email-masked] wrote:

| Folks, we now have a bunch of sieve drafts on the table. Is it time to
| start some of them through the standards process? If so, which ones?

FYI We have a list of current drafts on our sieve webpage here:

    <http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#drafts>

The following appear to have expired so the links on that page no longer 
work or point to an expired draft document:

    draft-martin-managesieve-04.txt
    draft-martin-sieve-notify-02.txt
    draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-04.txt
    draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-04.txt

We have local copies of these on our site, though I now see we are one 
document behind on managesive and notify.

If there are any documents missing please let me know so I can update the 
page.

Also note that I am close to submitting a document for two new simple tests 
to aid spam and virus checking.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:44:24 -0600

> ...

>    draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-04.txt

Tim thought that in order to do this right, we need to introduce variables in
Sieve.
So I am waiting for either:
1). draft that adds Sieve variables
2). a desire to standardize draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-04.txt as is (with
an implicit variable).

Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
__________________________________________
R & D, ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect
Richmond, Surrey, UK
Phone: +44 20 8332 4508
Home Page: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel

I speak for myself only, not for my employer.
__________________________________________

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:13:57 -0400

Hi,

--On Tuesday, July 16, 2002 11:44 AM -0600 Alexey Melnikov 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

| Tim thought that in order to do this right, we need to introduce
| variables in Sieve.
| So I am waiting for either:
| 1). draft that adds Sieve variables
| 2). a desire to standardize draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-04.txt as is
| (with an implicit variable).

One option might be to get rid of the ':globalflags...' tagged arguments 
and all the actions and instead only rely on the ':flags' tagged argument 
for fileinto and keep. I believe that gets rid of the need to have any 
variables during the lifetime of the script, and provides a basic 
implementation that can be built on later if variables are introduced.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 12:08:22 -0700

> implementation that can be built on later if variables are introduced.

I agree with this.  :globalflags mostly bothered me with respect to
variables.

Tim

---

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 12:11:12 -0700

> | start some of them through the standards process? If so, which ones?

I'm not sure.  I do have some very minor corrections for the base spec,
but except for all the things we know it doesn't do (variables and
functions) it seems stable.

>     draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-04.txt

We need vacation but it slipped through the cracks because of me.  I
plan on resurrecting it and seeing it through (soon).

Tim

---

From: "Nigel Swinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:29:29 +0100

> start some of them through the standards process? If so, which ones?

I'd like to see the regex draft through to a standard.  Very useful and
don't think it's changed very much recently.  Ken?

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-regex-06.txt

Nigel

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:44:28 -0400

> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-regex-06.txt

Most of the changes have been editorial.  I think in order for it do get
through the standards process we will probably need to do something
about internationalization/localization (unless Ned thinks otherwise):

0.3.   Open Issues

    The major open issue with this draft is what to do, if anything,
    about localization/internationalization.  Are [POSIX.2] collating
    sequences and character equivalents sufficient?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:57:04 -0400

> implementation that can be built on later if variables are introduced.

I have -03 implemented in Cyrus and I find the global flags nature very
useful, in that I can set flags on a message from a particular user at
the top of my script and then regardless of how/where it gets filed,
those flags are set (as opposed to having to check for the recipient for
each keep/fileinto and set :flags appropriately).

That being said, I find the :globalflags stuff kind of crufty ;)

Ken

---

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 10:49:26 -0700

> That being said, I find the :globalflags stuff kind of crufty ;)

There's no argument from me that it's *useful*, but that it's cruft that
we'll need to replicate again and again in the future that looks exactly
like variables with an undesirable syntax.

Tim