Subject: new version of the variables draft

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 07:26:18 +0200

I just submitted a new version of the draft to IETF.  I include it
here for convenience.

-- 
Kjetil T.

---

From: "Wolfgang Segmuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:11:40 -0400

Did I miss something, in the Set action there is a comparator in the syntax,
and a mention of a default value for it.  What do you need a comparator for
in the Set action?

Wolfgang

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 19:34:59 +0200

[Wolfgang Segmuller]:
>
>   Did I miss something, in the Set action there is a comparator in
>   the syntax, and a mention of a default value for it.  What do you
>   need a comparator for in the Set action?

| 4.1.1.2.  Case modifiers
| 
|    These modifiers change the letters of the text from upper to
|    lower case or vice versa.  The implementation MUST support
|    US-ASCII, but is not required to handle the entire Unicode
|    repertoire.  The comparator specified SHOULD be consulted to
|    establish which locale to use.

this isn't very useful until someone registers new comparators (which
must be REQUIREd in the script before use), but it leaves the door
open.

(wording changes to make things more clear are always welcome.)

-- 
Kjetil T.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:16:39 -0700 (PDT)

> and a mention of a default value for it.  What do you need a comparator for

It specifies how :upper, :lower and so on work.

				Ned

---

From: "Wolfgang Segmuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:46:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kjetil Torgrim Homme" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: new version of the variables draft

> (wording changes to make things more clear are always welcome.)

Thanks, I missed that in the text.

I think changing the paragraph that identifies the default comparator to:

    Comparators are used by the some modifiers to identify the locale for
    case mapping.  See section "4.1.1.2. Case modifiers" for how the
    comparator is used.  The default comparator is "i;ascii-casemap".

will make it clear what comparators are used for, instead of having it
buried in the modifiers section.  If you don't like the forward reference,
you can always move some of the discussion in 4.1.1.2 to this paragraph.

I think that all elements of a syntax should be described where the element
was introduced.  I was looking for section 4.1.2 comparators, and didn't
find it.

Wolfgang

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 2003 00:59:25 +0200

[Wolfgang Segmuller]:
>       Comparators are used by the some modifiers to identify the
>       locale for case mapping.  See section "4.1.1.2. Case
>       modifiers" for how the comparator is used.  The default
>       comparator is "i;ascii-casemap".
>   
>   will make it clear what comparators are used for, instead of
>   having it buried in the modifiers section.  If you don't like the
>   forward reference, you can always move some of the discussion in
>   4.1.1.2 to this paragraph.

thanks.  how about:

|  The default comparator is "i;ascii-casemap"
+  The comparator only affects the result when certain modifiers are
+  used.

future extension might add new modifiers which aren't case modifiers.
for instance if a list variable type is introduced, a useful modifier
will be ":sort".

I think it is good to make clear that a SET without any modifiers can
ignore the comparator, anyway.

>   I think that all elements of a syntax should be described where
>   the element was introduced.  I was looking for section 4.1.2
>   comparators, and didn't find it.

well, the draft assumes familiarity with the base Sieve RFC.  I could
stick in a "see [SIEVE] for more details on comparators", but it ought
to be implied.  actually, even the default comparator could have been
left out since it is specified in RFC 3028, but I thought I'd just
make it clear since the text in the RFC is so centred on matching.

-- 
Kjetil T.

---

From: "Wolfgang Segmuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:14:18 -0400

> +  The comparator only affects the result when certain modifiers are

This is good.

> make it clear since the text in the RFC is so centred on matching.

I wasn't refering to what comparators are in general.  I was refering to
what comparators do in this action.  The only place comparators were
mentioned was buried in the modifiers section of the action.  The addition
you proposed certainly covers my concerns.

Thanks,
Wolfgang