Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Email Filtering: Reject and Extended Reject Extensions
	Author(s)       : A. Stone, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-07.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-05-27

This memo updates the definition of the Sieve mail filtering language
"reject" extension, originally defined in RFC 3028.

A "Joe-job" is a spam run forged to appear as though it came from an
innocent party, who is then generally flooded by automated bounces,
Message Disposition Notifications (MDNs), and personal messages with
complaints.  The original Sieve "reject" action defined in RFC 3028
required use of MDNs for rejecting messages, thus contributing to the
flood of Joe-job spam to victims of Joe-jobs.

This memo updates the definition of the "reject" action to allow
messages to be refused during the SMTP transaction, and defines the
"ereject" action to require messages to be refused during the SMTP
transaction, if possible.

The "ereject" action is intended to replace the "reject" action
wherever possible.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:07:39 +0400

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-07.txt
This version looks good to me.

Some nitpicking about references:

The draft header says:
  Updates: 3028 (if approved)

However RFC 5228 says:
 Obsoletes: 3028

So I think this document needs to do the same thing (that is, together 
RFC 5228 and this draft are obsoleting RFC 3028)

> 1.1.  Conventions Used in This Document
 [...]
>    Conventions for notations are as in RFC 3028 [SIEVE] Section 1.1.
I suggest this is changed to reference RFC 5228 [SIEVEBIS] ...
>    [SIEVE]    Showalter, T., "Sieve: A Mail Filtering Language",
>               RFC 3028, January 2001.
... and this reference can be made Informational.

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

> RFC 5228 and this draft are obsoleting RFC 3028)

Sounds right to me.

> ... and this reference can be made Informational.

Also good.

				Ned