Subject: [sieve] Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: MIME part Tests, Iteration, Extraction, Replacement and Enclosure' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering: MIME part Tests, Iteration, Extraction, 
   Replacement and Enclosure '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-mime-loop-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-mime-loop-09.txt

Technical Summary

This document defines extensions to the Sieve email filtering
language to permit analysis and manipulation of the MIME body parts
of an email message.

Working Group Summary

Majority of posted comments were addressed in the latest revision, for
the remaining there was no wide WG support in favor of changes.

Document Quality

At least 2 server vendors are interested in implementing extensions
specified in the document.

At least 6 people have reviewed the document.

Personnel

Aaron Stone is the document shepherd.  Lisa Dusseault is the sponsoring
AD.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 3, change the 2nd paragraph to read:

OLD:
   The iterator can be terminated prematurely by a new Sieve command,
   "break".

NEW:
   The iterator can be terminated prematurely by a new Sieve control
                                                             ^^^^^^^
   command, "break".

Add a new paragraph before the last paragraph of section 3:

   If no name is given in a "break" command (i.e. the :name is omitted),
   the break command terminates the closest enclosing loop.

In Section 4.1,
OLD
  When the ":mime" tagged argument is present in the "header" test, it
  will parse the MIME header lines in the message so that tests can be
  performed on specific elements.
NEW
 When the ":mime" tagged argument is present in the "header" test, it
 will parse the MIME header lines in the message so that tests can be
 performed on specific elements.  The ":anychild" tagged argument may
 only appear when the ":mime" tagged argument is present, and only
 modifies the semantics of the ":mime" tagged argument. That is, presence
 of the ":anychild" in absence of ":mime" is an error.

In Section 4.2, change the 5th paragraph to read:

OLD:
   That is,

      the use of "address" with no ":mime" and ":anychild" tagged
                           ^^^^^^^
      argument is the test defined in [RFC5228], i.e. it will *only*
              ^
      operate on top level header fields, whether it is inside
      "foreverypart" or not.

NEW:
   That is,

      the use of "address" when both the ":mime" and ":anychild" tagged
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      arguments are omitted is the test defined in [RFC5228],
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      i.e. it will *only*
      operate on top level header fields, whether it is inside
      "foreverypart" or not.

In Section 4.3 change the 5th paragraph to read:

OLD:
   That is,

      the use of "exists" with no ":mime" and ":anychild" tagged
      argument is the test defined in [RFC5228], i.e. it will *only*
      operate on top level header fields, whether it is inside
      "foreverypart" or not.
NEW:
   That is,

      the use of "exists" when both the ":mime" and ":anychild" tagged
      arguments are omitted is the test defined in [RFC5228],
      i.e. it will *only*
      operate on top level header fields, whether it is inside
      "foreverypart" or not.

Also, please change "SIEVE" to "Sieve" (in 3 places in the document).