Subject: [sieve] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Email Filtering: Regular Expression Extension
	Author(s)       : K. Murchison, N. Freed
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2010-03-23

This document describes the "regex" extension to the Sieve email
filtering language.  In some cases, it is desirable to have a string
matching mechanism which is more powerful than a simple exact match,
a substring match or a glob-style wildcard match.  The regular
expression matching mechanism defined in this draft provides users
with much more powerful string matching capabilities.

Change History (to be removed prior to publication as an RFC)

Changes from draft-murchison-sieve-regex-08:

o  Updated to XML source.

o  Documented interaction with variables.

Changes from draft-ietf-sieve-regex-00:

o  Various cleanup and updates.

o  Added trial text specifying comparator interactions.

Open Issues (to be removed prior to publication as an RFC)

o  The major open issue with this draft is what to do, if anything,

about localization/internationalization.  Are [IEEE.1003-2.1992]

collating sequences and character equivalents sufficient?  Should

we reference the Unicode technical specification?  Should we punt

and publish the document as experimental?

o  Is the current approach to comparator integration the right one to

use?

o  Should we allow shorthands such as \\b (word boundary) and \\w

(word character)?
o  Should we allow backreferences (useful for matching double words,

etc.)?

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.