Subject: [sieve] Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-sieve-autoreply-00

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:03:32 -0400

Hi folks,
We are starting a working group last call on 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sieve-autoreply/> today. This 
will run for two weeks, i.e. finish Tuesday October 12th. Please review 
this document and provide comments back on this list, to the authors and 
chairs. If you review it and have no issues, please also send a comment to 
the list to that effect.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:17:53 -0400

Hi,
Some comments on draft-ietf-sieve-autoreply-00:

Section 1: "Barry's question" - whilst it would be nice to be able to 
extract information from an external list contact, I think in all 
likelihood that will be hard to do. So I would suggest we drop this from 
consideration. It can always be considered as an extension later.

Section 3: change '"extended away".[I-D.ietf-sieve-notify-presence]' to 
'"extended away" [I-D.ietf-sieve-notify-presence].'.

Section 3: change 'half hour.[I-D.ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds]' to 'half 
hour [I-D.ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds].'.

Section 3: it might be good to include an example using the "notify" action 
instead of vacation.

Section 4: change "be send to" to "be sent to".

General comment: there are other kinds of tests that can be used for 
auto-reply generation. One example shows how base SIEVE header "subject" 
test can be used. But what about tests based on other message content?

- RFC 5703 (MIME Loops) would allow testing for the presence of specific 
types of attachment that might then trigger a reply (e.g. 'Please do not 
send attachments of type xyz in email - instead please provide a web link 
for me to access it').

- RFC 5260 (Date) is another test that is useful for auto-replies. Should 
we reference those as well and include some additional examples?

- Also, should there be recommendations on whether or not auto-replies 
should be used with RFC 5235 (spam/virus test)?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

> consideration. It can always be considered as an extension later.

I'm not sure the issue is that it will be hard to do, exactly, but rather
that sites are unlikely to willing to set up such capabilities just so that
users can personalize their responses.

We have sites accessing personal address books through Sieve external lists,
but they're doing it for whitelisting purposes (and less commonly,
blacklisting). It would actually be quite simple for sites doing this to set up
additional lists to access the common name field (or whatever) in the PAB, but
I really don't see sufficient incentive here for them to do so.

In any case, I agree that this should be dropped for now.

> Section 3: it might be good to include an example using the "notify" action

Yes, a "send notification to pager" would certainly seem to fit right in here.

> we reference those as well and include some additional examples?

I don't think these are as important as including a notify example, but since
this is a draft about how to use the capabilities rather than defining new
ones, I think adding these would be a good idea.

> should be used with RFC 5235 (spam/virus test)?

Definitely should include an example of this usage.

				Ned

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:19:17 -0400

>> consideration. It can always be considered as an extension later.
...
> In any case, I agree that this should be dropped for now.

Dropped; thanks.

On all the comments about more examples:
I agree that more examples would be great.  As Ned says, this is a
document explaining how to do things, so more examples with more
combinations of features will make it a better document.

Folks who have suggestions for specific examples to include should
please send me the specific examples.  Not descriptions, but the
examples, in Sieve code.  Thanks.  (I'd especially like one for
sending a notification to a pager, so I can see which Sieve extension
does that.)

Barry