Subject: [sieve] speaking as user: automatically printing incoming mail?

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:32:05 +0200

Hi,

I (as mere user) get some mail for which I want to print the appended 
PDFs, and I'm not good at such chores. But wait, I'm using sieve and as 
we all know, script interpreters are really good at chores, maybe I can 
print with sieve?

No I can't. Not only is there no implemented extension, but I also can't 
find any documented extension to print anything.

Are there any vendor-specific extensions for such things?

Arnt

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:43:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Are there any vendor-specific extensions for such things?

We typically handle such things by giving the printer an email address. Then
all the Sieve has to do is redirect to that address when the user wants
something printed.

				Ned

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:54:16 -0400

Hi Arnt,

> Are there any vendor-specific extensions for such things?

Well there are things like email-to-printer gateways so a simple redirect 
in sieve could do that. I could also imagine defining a notification 
mechanism that makes use of the ipp: URI scheme 
(<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3510.txt>). This is the first time I 
have heard someone request such a feature though.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:57:04 -0400

> I could also imagine defining a notification mechanism
> that makes use of the ipp: URI scheme
> (<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3510.txt>). This is the first time I have
> heard someone request such a feature though.

I like that ideal.  Arnt, I'll work on a Notify extension for that
with you, if you like.  Let me know.

For the more general question, Wolfgang and I had once started to
write up a "call out to an external process" extension, which would
basically allow a script to run any (approved) program on the message,
which could include an abuse scanner, an attachment filer, a printing
or faxing program, or anything else.  Our idea was that allowed
programs would have to be flagged, such as by storing them in a
particular place or putting their pathnames in certain metadata, to
prevent chaos.

But we never went anywhere with that, after the initial knocking about.

Barry