Subject: Deregistration request.

From: Olivier Mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:05:03 -0500

Hi all,

I have a doubt about the RK Deregistration message:

Draft says; "an ASP may dynamicaly deregister with an SG as an ASP within an
AS."
Once the ASP is deregistered it wont be receiving any traffic for that AS/RK
?

then if I look at the ASPIA message it says:

When an ASP wishes to withdraw from receiving traffic within an AS, the ASP
sends an ASPIA message to the SG...

Are not these one and the same thing? Do we have a need for that
deregistration message since we already have the ASPIA message?

Olivier Mayor

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Sidebottom, Greg [BCNR:7M01:EXCH]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:14:58 -0400

Hi Olivier,

Good timing!   This came up on a thread among the authors after the IETF
meeting.  Response below so the list can consider our proposal 

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Olivier Mayor [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Tuesday, April 03, 2001 4:05 PM
To:	sigtran
Subject:	Deregistration request.

Hi all,

[Greg] No, it is intended that ASPIA is used to stop traffic, not DEREG.  We
have added an Error case for Issue 7 to cover this - If a DEREG Req is
received for a currently active ASP the De-registration result status is now
"Error - ASP currently active for Routing Context".   I have also added text
to the first paragraph of the procedures in Section 4.3.4.2 as follows:

 "An ASP MAY dynamically deregister with an SG
  as an ASP within an Application Server using
  the DEREG REQ message. A Routing Context 
  parameter in the DEREG REQ specifies which 
  Routing Keys to de-register. An ASP MUST 
  transition to "inactive" within a particular 
  Application Server before attempting to 
  Deregister (i.e., receive an ASPIA Ack)."

DEREG and ASPIA are intended to be quite different.   ASPIA is intended to
stop traffic, DEREG is intended to change the AS/ASP configuration.  It
doesn't make sense to change the configuration while actively
sending/receiving traffic, therefore the clarification above in Issue 7.

Cheers,

   Greg

---