

(EDT)
motgate3.mot.com (motgate3 2.1) with ESMTP id KAA27584; Mon, 16 Apr 2001
10:21:33 -0700 (MST)]
Received: [from relay2.cig.mot.com (relay2.cig.mot.com [136.182.15.24]) by
pobox.mot.com (MOT-pobox 2.0) with ESMTP id KAA16315; Mon, 16 Apr 2001
10:27:11 -0700 (MST)]
Received: from agevole.cig.mot.com (agevole [136.182.3.251]) by
relay2.cig.mot.com (8.9.0/SCERG-RELAY-1.11b) with ESMTP id MAA16193; Mon, 16
Apr 2001 12:27:10 -0500 (CDT)
Received: from cig.mot.com (d42-506b.cig.mot.com [160.15.80.107]) by
agevole.cig.mot.com (8.7.5 Motorola CIG/ITS v1.1 (Solaris 2.5)) with ESMTP
id MAA19255; Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:27:07 -0500 (CDT)
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:28:53 -0500
From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.75 [en] (Win98; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] [SCTP checksum problems]
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Sender: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailman-Version: 1.0
Precedence: bulk
List-Id: Transport Area Working Group <tsvwg.ietf.org>
X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Another solution could be (I think I mentioned this to Randy and a few
others at last IETF): 

- Define a CRC-32 (or other strong checksum) control chunk and when the
sender wishes to use a stronger checksum protection, in addition to the
Adler-32 in the common SCTP header it includes this CRC-32 chuck in the
outbound packet. When the packet arrives, the receiver will do the
Adler-32 first, and then if the receiver supports the CRC-32 and sees
the presence of the CRC-32 chunk in the packet it will further verify
the CRC-32. 

We could also use a bit pattern in the chunk type of the CRC-32 chunk so
that if the receiver doesn't understand the CRC-32 chunk it would drop
it with a report back to the sender.

-Qiaobing

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg