Subject: RE: [SUA & M3UA issue] IPSP cases.

From: Amish Chana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:27:28 +0100

Hi John,

Your text below states that either of the IPSPs may start the operations but 
the text in 1.4.8 of M3UAv8 states "In the case of IPSP to IPSP 
communication, the peer endpoints using M3UA SHOULD be configured so that 
one always takes on the role of client and the other the role of server for 
initiating SCTP associations."

The above text seems to imply that one end SHOULD always be the client, in 
which case one endpoint will always initiate operations while the text below 
allows for more flexibility. Maybe the text in 1.4.8 should be re-worded.

Just a thought, maybe this issue has been covered previously: The draft 
addresses RK registration from the SGP perspective. In the IPSP case is a 
REG REQ required in both directions or is some type of negotiation 
necessary?

Amish

>Hi all,
>
>Working on Chapter 4 for both M3UA & SUA, so far, here is some of the
>text in progress.
>
>After the text some follow-on answers to some points raised.
>
>==== Text ====
>
>4.3.4 ASPM Procedures for Peer-to-Peer Messages
>
>4.3.4.1 ASP Up Procedures
>
>[text clipped]
>
>4.3.4.1.2 IPSP Considerations
>
>In the case of peer-to-peer IPSPs, either of the IPSPs (IPSP_A) may
>start operations by sending an ASP Up message to the remote peer
>(IPSP_B).  When the ASP Up message is received at IPSP_B and internally
>the remote IPSP_A is in the ASP-DOWN state and not considered locked-
>out for local management reasons, IPSP_B marks the remote IPSP_A in the
>state ASP-INACTIVE and informs Layer Management with an M-ASP_Up
>indication primitive.  IPSP_B returns an ASP-Up Ack message to IPSP_A.
>IPSP_A moves IPSP_B to the ASP-INACTIVE state upon reception of an ASP
>Up Ack message, if is not already in the ASP_INACTIVE state, and
>informs Layer Management with an M-ASP_UP confirmation primitive.
>If for any local reason (e.g., management lock-out) the IPSP_B cannot
>respond with an ASP Up Ack message, it responds to an ASP Up message
>with an Error message with Reason "Refused - Management Blocking" and
>leaves IPSP_A in the ASP-DOWN state.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]