Subject: M3UA-V08: ITU-T Q.708 3/99 has no zone/region concept

From: Schwarzbauer Hanns Juergen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:02:49 +0200

dear all,

while reading version 8 of the m3ua draft I found an inconsistency with the actual ITU-T Recommendation Q.708 (3/99) in section 3.3.1 along with the picture showing the payload field for ITU-T networks:

Q.708 (03/99) no longer contains the zone/region concept, therefore I would propose that this is also not used in the m3ua draft.

Therefore replace the figure below:

   For the ITU international protocol example (with the 3/8/3 Point 
   Code format), the Protocol Data 1 field is shown below.

     0                   1                   2                   3
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |      SIO      | DPC     | DPC |OPC| DPC | DPC |   OPC       |@|
    |               | Region *| SP *|SP*|Zone*| reg.|  Region    *| |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |  SLS  | OPC |$|      Protocol                                 |
    |      *|Zone*| |        Data                                   |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    * marks LSB of each field;  @ = OPC SP MSB;  $ = OPC region MSB

with:
   For the ITU international protocol example (with the 3/8/3 Point 
   Code format), the Protocol Data 1 field is shown below.

     0                   1                   2                   3
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |      SIO      |   DPC  *|DPC *|OPC|DPC *|DPC *|   OPC      *|@|
    |               |H G F E D|C B A|B A|N M L|K J I|J I H G F E D|C|
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |  SLS  |OPC *|$|      Protocol                                 |
    |      *|N M L|K|        Data                                   |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    * marks LSB of each field;  @ = OPC SP MSB;  $ = OPC region MSB
    	D - N = SANC Bit names according to Figure 1/Q.708 (3/99)
      A - C = SP Bit names

HannsJuergen

SIEMENS AG
Information and Communication Networks
Wireline Network Communication
Carrier Switching Networks
ICN WN CS SE 51

Tel:	+49 89 722 24236
Fax:	+49 89 722 48212
E-mail [email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:02:30 -0500

Hanns Juergen,

Moving to protocol data 3 would get rid of the need to mention
ITU and ANSI specifics altogether.

--brian

Schwarzbauer Hanns Juergen wrote:                    (Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:02:49)
> dear all,
> 
> while reading version 8 of the m3ua draft I found an inconsistency with the
> actual ITU-T Recommendation Q.708 (3/99) in section 3.3.1 along with the
> picture showing the payload field for ITU-T networks:
> 
> Q.708 (03/99) no longer contains the zone/region concept, therefore I would
> propose that this is also not used in the m3ua draft.
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---