Subject: Liaison from ITU SG15

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:35:33 -0800

Folks,

Attached is a copy of a liaison statement that I received from
ITU-T Study Group 15, concerning a new recommendation that they 
are developing.

I will be drafting a reply with status information and would
be very happy to take in any comments that people may have on
the G.799.1 draft (if you have difficulty downloading this,
let me know).  The proposed reply will be 
circulated on the list for comment prior to sending it back.

Cheers,

L. Ong 

QUESTION(S):	7/15, WP5/SG11, Sigtran/IETF
SOURCE:		ITU-T SG15
TITLE:		Request for comments on G.799.1  -- handling of Signalling
		System No.7 associated signalling links by a TIGIN gateway
_____________________
COMMUNICATION AND LIAISON STATEMENT
TO:		ITU-T SG-11, WP 5 IETF Sigtran Group (Communication)
APPROVAL:	Agreed to at ITU-T SG15 meeting (Geneva 15-26 October 2001)
FOR:		Action
DEADLINE:	26 April, 2002
CONTACT:	Tom Brown	
Tel:		+353 61 703417
		Tellabs, OY	
Fax:		+353 61 703112
E-mail:		[email-masked]
ITU-T Question 7/15, (Voice Gateways), is developing new ITU-T
Recommendation G.799.1, covering functionality, interfaces, performance
requirements and functional tests for voice gateways interfacing GSTN to IP
networks. The current text of draft G.799.1 is available on Q7/15's IFA web
page at: 

http://ties.itu.int/u/tsg15/sg15/wp2/stable_text/gtigin/

The latest version (approved at the SG15 meeting in Geneva, October 2001)
is V6.0

At the recent Geneva meeting text was approved for inclusion in the
document for defining the handling of Signalling System No.7 associated
signalling links by a TIGIN gateway. Q7/15 would appreciate the comments of
both SG11 and IETF Sigtran on the text included in sections 3.3.2.3.1
(Signalling Backhaul for Signalling System No. 7) and 3.4.1 (SS7 Signalling
Links).

In addition Q7/15 would appreciate the views of SG11 on the suitability of
the IETF Sigtran protocols for this application.
In addition Q7/15 request IETF Sigtran to clarify the status of the Sigtran
protocols, in particular the stability of RFC 2960bis (SCTP) (May 16, 2001)
and the likelihood and timing of draft-ietf-sigtran-m2ua-10 (M2UA)
achieving full RFC status.

Attachment:		Draft text of G.799.1 version 6.0 

Study Group 15 would like to make you aware that the attached document is
ITU copyrighted. It is sent to you for the purpose of information and,
where applicable, to enable meaningful exchange of views. It shall not be
made available to, and used by, any other persons or entities without the
prior written consent of the ITU-T.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:12:04 -0500

Lyndon,

Can you distribute the document  - the TIES requires a log in.

Thanks

Seamus

"Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
11/07/2001 06:35 PM
Please respond to sigtran

        To:     "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        Liaison from ITU SG15

Folks,

Cheers,

L. Ong 

QUESTION(S):             7/15, WP5/SG11, Sigtran/IETF
SOURCE:                          ITU-T SG15
TITLE:                           Request for comments on G.799.1  -- 
handling of Signalling
                                 System No.7 associated signalling links 
by a TIGIN gateway
_____________________
COMMUNICATION AND LIAISON STATEMENT
TO:                              ITU-T SG-11, WP 5 IETF Sigtran Group 
(Communication)
APPROVAL:                Agreed to at ITU-T SG15 meeting (Geneva 15-26 
October 2001)
FOR:                             Action
DEADLINE:                26 April, 2002
CONTACT:                 Tom Brown 
Tel:                             +353 61 703417
                                 Tellabs, OY 
Fax:                             +353 61 703112
E-mail:                          [email-masked]
ITU-T Question 7/15, (Voice Gateways), is developing new ITU-T
Recommendation G.799.1, covering functionality, interfaces, performance
requirements and functional tests for voice gateways interfacing GSTN to 
IP
networks. The current text of draft G.799.1 is available on Q7/15's IFA 
web
page at: 

At the recent Geneva meeting text was approved for inclusion in the
document for defining the handling of Signalling System No.7 associated
signalling links by a TIGIN gateway. Q7/15 would appreciate the comments 
of
both SG11 and IETF Sigtran on the text included in sections 3.3.2.3.1
(Signalling Backhaul for Signalling System No. 7) and 3.4.1 (SS7 
Signalling
Links).

In addition Q7/15 would appreciate the views of SG11 on the suitability of
the IETF Sigtran protocols for this application.
In addition Q7/15 request IETF Sigtran to clarify the status of the 
Sigtran
protocols, in particular the stability of RFC 2960bis (SCTP) (May 16, 
2001)
and the likelihood and timing of draft-ietf-sigtran-m2ua-10 (M2UA)
achieving full RFC status.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to 
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Siddhartha Prasad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:09:27 +0530

Hi Ong,

Would you pl. help me downloading the document,
the link you have provided asks for password.

Regards
Siddhartha

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 5:05 AM
Subject: Liaison from ITU SG15

IP
web
of
Signalling
Sigtran
2001)
> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: Greg Sidebottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:47:52 -0500

Hi Lyndon,

I'm back in the "office" today trying to clean up emails after a week away.

I was able to download G.799.1 from the new "IETF area".  I have a couple of
initial thoughts:

1) It seems that per Figure 2 Sigtran is restricted in their architecture to
be between an TIGIN Gateway and the MGC, where the M2UA/SCTP protocol
recommendation is probably appropriate.  It may be worth pointing out that
per the Sigtran RFC2719 architecture this means that the TIGIN has SG
functionality (at least when the TIGIN has an SS7 signalling interface).
So I think there are actually two possible locations for the SG in Figure
2 - stand alone (as shown) and as a part of the TIGIN.

2) Figure 2 shows a stand alone SG separate from the TIGIN but shows SIP as
the protocol of choice(?) between the SG and MGC.  I think may be out of the
document's scope to make a protocol recommendation for this interface, so I
assume that this is just an example.   In any case, Sigtran also fits as
another option for this interface (possibly using even M3UA or M2PA as
protocol option in addition to M2UA/SCTP).  SIP may be a possible option
here (although some sort of SIP/ISUP conversion document reference might be
appropriate).   Either way you may want to ask SG15 to add Sigtran as an
option here as well, or else delete the SIP reference and not say anything.

Cheers,

   Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 6:35 PM
Subject: Liaison from ITU SG15

IP
web
of
Signalling
Sigtran
2001)

---

---

From: Ian Rytina <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:34:02 +1100

Hi Greg,

I agree with your comments. If the SG in Figure 2 converts from a
SS7 protocol to SIP, then it is something more than a Signalling
Gateway from our Sigtran architecture's point of view. M3UA would
be the best candidate for the SG-MGC interface.

Another comment on Figure 2 - there appears to be no call control
coming out of the MGC into the IP side of the network. That could
also be a candidate for a Sigtran protocol, but it does not seem to
be detailled anywhere (it is out of scope if the purpose of the
document is only to specify the MGC-TIGIN GW i/f). The document
specifies M2UA coming out of the TIGIN GW into the IP network (Figs
2 and 3), and it also specifies a call control function in the TIGIN
GW (Fig 1) but I am not sure why.

Can someone who is involved in this SG15 work confirm the exact
scope of the document ? It is difficult for the Sigtran WG to comment
with any great authority otherwise.

Cheers,

Ian

Greg Sidebottom wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

---