Subject: RE: M3UA v9 : SCON message handling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:30:26 -0000

Brian,

As you say, we shouldn't repeat this, so I'd be happy if the following
paragraph was removed from section 3.4.4: Signalling Congestion (SCON),

" The Affected Point code parameter can be used to indicate congestion of
multiple destinations or ranges of destinations. However, an SCON message
MUST not be delayed to collect individual congested destinations into a
single SCON message as any delay might affect the timing of congestion
indications to the M3UA Users. One use for including a range of congested
DPCs is when the SG supports an ANSI cluster route set to the SS 7 network
that becomes congested due to outgoing link set congestion."

As you've pointed out the Mask field definition is sufficient.

Ok to take this paragraph out Greg?

Regards,

Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 30 October 2001 10:13
To: sigtran
Subject: Re: M3UA v9 : SCON message handling

Gerhard,

[email-masked] wrote:                           (Tue, 30 Oct 2001
09:43:40)

> ''The Affected Destination parameter can be used in case of a route set
> congestion to indicate the congestion of a cluster or range of
destinations
> that are reached via that congested route set, e.g. when an ANSI cluster
> route set to the SS 7 network becomes congested due to outgoing link set
> congestion.''

This text is acceptable, however, I would remove references to link sets
and route sets which are not well defined in M3UA, and also imply functions
that are the responsibility of the NIF, as follows:

> ''The Affected Destination parameter can be used -- ---- -- - ----- ---
> ---------- to indicate the congestion of a cluster or range of
destinations
> ---- --- ------- --- ---- --------- ----- ---, e.g. when an ANSI cluster
> ----- --- -- --- -- - ------- becomes congested --- -- -------- ---- ---
> ----------.''

or,

    The Affected Destination parameter can be used to indicate
    the congestion of a cluster or range of destinations, e.g.
    when an ANSI cluster becomes congested.

But, geee!  Now it looks like the definition of the parameter.  Yet
the definition of the mask field says:

    The Mask field can be used to identify a contiguous range of
    Affected Destination Point Codes, independent of the point
    code format.  Identifying a contiguous range of Affected DPCs
    may be useful when reception of an MTP3 management message or
    a linkset event simultaneously affects the availability status
    of a series of destinations at an SG.

So it seems that the existing definition of the Affected DPC mask
field and this proposed replacement text are the same.  There is no
need to say it twice.

Please strike the original sentence.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]