Subject: [Sigtran] Reg : SCTP Restart Handling by it's user

From: "Subhodeep Sarkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:50:56 +0530

Hi ,

How should the user of SCTP (from implementation point of view) will handle the SCTP Restart ?

To elaborate, will SCTP sends some indication to it's user when a Restart occurs ? If so does it mean to user that it should flush off all the association information ? Will the SCTP sends out another indication when it comes up ?

Cheers,

Subhodeep

Subhodeep Sarkar 
Wipro Technologies 
Voice Over IP Solutions 
Ph : +91-(0)80-8411990 x 1251 

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at  http://email.indiatimes.com
Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in

---

From: "Sundaresan M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:01:29 +0530

Hi,

SCTP sends indication to the User (Upper Layer) both on
Establishment(COMMUNICATION UP Notification primitive) and Shuting
down(COMMUNICATION DOWN Notification Primitive) of its association.
Primtives are sent from User to SCTP and from SCTP to user on these
situations.

To throw more light on these primitives refer RFC 2960. Section 9 and
Section 10. Section 10 explains clearly all the primitives sent between ULP
and SCTP.

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Sundar.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Subhodeep Sarkar
  Sent: Monday, 11 February 2002 5:51 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [Sigtran] Reg : SCTP Restart Handling by it's user

  Hi ,

  How should the user of SCTP (from implementation point of view) will
handle the SCTP Restart ?

  To elaborate, will SCTP sends some indication to it's user when a Restart
occurs ? If so does it mean to user that it should flush off all the
association information ? Will the SCTP sends out another indication when it
comes up ?

  Cheers,

  Subhodeep

  Subhodeep Sarkar
  Wipro Technologies
  Voice Over IP Solutions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at
http://email.indiatimes.com
  Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from
http://www.planetm.co.in

---

From: Ken Morneault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:37:32 -0500

Here is some addition feedback on how to handle SCTP Restart from
draft-ietf-sigtran-iua-issues-01.txt (I think this has expired but I will
resubmit soon):

2.5  SCTP Restart

   Problem/Issue:  How should IUA handle indication of SCTP retart.

   Description:  Currently, the RFC does not discuss what IUA would
   do if it received a SCTP Restart indication.

   Advice/Solution:  In the IUA layer on the SG side, a SCTP Restart 
   should be treated like a SCTP Communication Lost indication in the
   ASP state machine.  In the IUA layer on the ASP side, the current
   ASP state should be re-established (i.e. if the ASP was Active, an
   ASP Up and ASP Active message should be sent).

Ken

At 07:01 PM 2/11/2002 +0530, Sundaresan M wrote:
>Hi,
> 
>SCTP sends indication to the User (Upper Layer) both on Establishment(COMMUNICATION UP Notification primitive) and Shuting down(COMMUNICATION DOWN Notification Primitive) of its association. Primtives are sent from User to SCTP and from SCTP to user on these situations.
> 
>To throw more light on these primitives refer RFC 2960. Section 9 and Section 10. Section 10 explains clearly all the primitives sent between ULP and SCTP.
> 
>Hope it helps,
> 
>Best Regards,
>Sundar.  
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Subhodeep Sarkar 
>----------
>Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at <http://email.indiatimes.com>http://email.indiatimes.com 
>Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from <http://www.planetm.co.in>http://www.planetm.co.in 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran