Subject: Re: [Sigtran] (M3UA) Concern about lossy nature of M3UA connections in certain configurations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:29:09 +0100

Jeffery,

> Messages will be lost, since full retrieval below the SCTP layer is not
> possible.

In SS7 you can have the equilvalent of SS7 link interface cards that perform
MTP1-3. If the card fails you still cannot retrieve the messages.

> Is the answer simply that M3UA (even M3UA SG-SG) does not support loss-less
> connectivity between two nodes connected by multiple associations, when an
> association fails? Is the consensus that this message loss is acceptable?

To protect against hardware failure, you need hardware redundancy.

A.

*******************************************************************************
Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in England No
2178917, with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park,
Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.
*******************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:52:47 -0500

Amish,

Jeffrey has hardware redundancy.

It is possible to avoid the loss you are speaking of by keeping a copy
of each MSU at the L3 processor until it has been positively acknowledged
by the remote end of the L2 processor.  That way if the L2 processor fails,
messages are still maintained for immediate "retrieval" at the L3 processor.
100% lossless systems with no SPOF are possible in SS7, why cannot M3UA be
the same?  Well they can, if you take an approach as described in
draft-bidulock-sigtran-corid-00.txt.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:            (Fri, 31 May 2002 15:29:09)

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/