Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA for SG-SG

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:13:06 -0700

After reading the discussions for the past week or so on developing an M3PA
protocol for SG-SG I still can not see a valid argument for the creation of
another Sigtran protocol.  We developed M3UA which can handle A,B,C,D etc
links.  For some reason we have M2PA but M3UA can perform the same function.
We also have SUA but with no need for it since M3UA can handle TCAP
functionality, too.  So my question is why are we trying to build another
protocol?  Is there some great glaring error in M3UA that we are trying to
mask?  Does M3UA need a modification?  If not, then what problem are we
trying to solve with a M3PA protocol?  How will another protocol benefit my
SS7 over IP network?  
 
Sincerely,

Kevin McCandless 
Senior Network Planner 
Illuminet (A VeriSign Company)
913-814-6397 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:35:22 -0400

Kevin,

The purpose is to bring relaying functionality to M3UA SGs, in my opinion
this shouldn't be considered as an error in M3UA. M3PA will allow M3UA SGs
to act as proxies. For example, if you look to Figure1 and Figure2 in the
SG-SG draft, you can see two of the possible configurations.
M2PA and M3UA can't perform the same function, they serve different
purposes. The same applies for SUA and M3UA. If one want to have RKs based
on SSN, I think SUA is a better choice.

In fact it all depends on the needs, which protocol one wants to use.

    Tolga
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Kevin McCandless
  Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 10:13 AM
  To: [email-masked]'
  Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA for SG-SG

  After reading the discussions for the past week or so on developing an
M3PA protocol for SG-SG I still can not see a valid argument for the
creation of another Sigtran protocol.  We developed M3UA which can handle
A,B,C,D etc links.  For some reason we have M2PA but M3UA can perform the
same function.  We also have SUA but with no need for it since M3UA can
handle TCAP functionality, too.  So my question is why are we trying to
build another protocol?  Is there some great glaring error in M3UA that we
are trying to mask?  Does M3UA need a modification?  If not, then what
problem are we trying to solve with a M3PA protocol?  How will another
protocol benefit my SS7 over IP network?

  Sincerely,
  Kevin McCandless
  Senior Network Planner
  [email-masked]