Subject: Re: [Sigtran] IPSP and ASP

From: Samuel Durairaj <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:21:23 -0500 (GMT)

Brian,

Chak has got this impression because section 1.3.2, 

first para says

   The M3UA Layer at an ASP or IPSP provides the equivalent set of
   primitives at its upper layer to the MTP3-Users as provided by the
   MTP Level 3 to its local MTP3-Users at an SS7 SEP.  In this way, the
   ISUP and/or SCCP layer at an ASP or IPSP is unaware that the expected
                                       ---------------------------------
   MTP3 services are offered remotely from an MTP3 Layer at an SGP, and
   --------------------------------------------------------------------
   not by a local MTP3 layer.  The MTP3 layer at an SGP may also be
   -------------------------
   unaware that its local users are actually remote user parts over
   M3UA.  In effect, the M3UA extends access to the MTP3 layer services
   to a remote IP-based application.  The M3UA layer does not itself
   provide the MTP3 services. However, in the case where an ASP is
   connected to more than one SG, the M3UA layer at an ASP should
   maintain the status of configured SS7 destinations and route messages
   according to the availability and congestion status of the routes to
   these destinations via each SG.

second para says

   The M3UA layer may also be used for point-to-point signalling between
   two IP Server Processes (IPSPs).  In this case, the M3UA layer
   provides the same set of primitives and services at its upper layer
   as the MTP3. However, in this case the expected MTP3 services are not
                         -----------------------------------------------
   offered remotely from an SGP.  The MTP3 services are provided but the
   ----------------------------
   procedures to support these services are a subset of the MTP3
   procedures due to the simplified point-to-point nature of the IPSP to
   IPSP relationship.

  SEE THE UNDERLINED LINES - Do they not conflict each other ?

--Samuel

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
> To: "PSK Chakravarthi" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 1:30 PM
> Subject: Re: [Sigtran] IPSP and ASP
> 
> 
> > Chak,
> >
> > PSK Chakravarthi wrote:
> (Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:25:48)
> > > After reading section 1.3.2 of RFC 3332 I am getting doubt on what is
> the
> > > difference between ASP and IPSP.  As per this section IPSP is also
> depending
> > > on MTP3 services provided by the SGP.
> >
> > How did you get that impression?  Section 1.3.2 states:
> >
> >   "The M3UA layer may also be used for point-to-point signalling between
> >    two IP Server Processes (IPSPs).  In this case, the M3UA layer
> >    provides the same set of primitives and services at its upper layer
> >    as the MTP3. However, in this case the expected MTP3 services are not
> >    offered remotely from an SGP.  The MTP3 services are provided but the
> >    procedures to support these services are a subset of the MTP3
> >    procedures due to the simplified point-to-point nature of the IPSP to
> >    IPSP relationship."
> >
> > The IPSP does not use the services of an SGP.  It provides (somehow, not
> > really talked about in the RFC) a simplified set of these services itself.
> > So, to some degree, it can be viewed that an IPSP contains both an
> > ASP-function (ASF) and an SGP-function (SGF).
> >
> > This is what distinguishes an IPSP from an ASP.
> >
> > --brian
> >
> > > Can somebody state (or give a pointer
> > > to) all the differences between ASP and IPSP.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Chak
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Sigtran mailing list
> > > [email-masked]
> > > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran
> >
> > --
> > Brian F. G. Bidulock
> > [email-masked]
> > http://www.openss7.org/
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sigtran mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Samuel Dur D. Jeyaseelan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:49:32 -0600 (CST)

Please ignore previous mail from [email-masked]'
It was a old mail ,[email-masked] now its forwarding to all.

-Sam

  Alcatel USA, Inc.                  Internet: <userid>@ssd.usa.alcatel.com
  1000 Coit Road, Plano, Texas 75075
  ******* The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc. *******