Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA- Doubt on behaviour when restarting SGP

From: Antonio José Yáñez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:02:15 +0100

Hi all,

I'm brand new on M3UA and I need a little help with the Standard:

What is the procedure to follow when you restart a SGP? Who is the
responsible of reconnecting ? I haven't found it in the Standard.

(I guess that it should be the SGP, but if you configured the SCTP layer
acting like a server socket, you don't know the port of the
client)

I had the following problem: loadsharing the traffic of one ASP
between two SGP, when some of the SGP goes down, I lost SCTP (and
M3UA) connectivity after the INIT retry timer expires, and after that, the
ASP sends all the traffic to the survivor SGP. But when I restart the
first SGP, the ASP never send traffic to this SGP again.

I appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Jose

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:04:34 -0700

Antonio,

Antonio José Yáñez wrote:                          (Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:02:15)
> responsible of reconnecting ? I haven't found it in the Standard.

Section 1.3.2.4:

    ... In order to [sic] avoid redundant SCTP associations between two
    M3UA peers, one side (client) SHOULD be designated to establish the
    SCTP association, or M3UA configuration information maintained to
    detect redundant associations (e.g.  via knowledge of the expected
    local and remote SCTP endpoint addresses).

> acting like a server socket, you don't know the port of the

Normally the ASP would be client and the SGP server, but either or
both could be configured to attempt as above.

> first SGP, the ASP never send traffic to this SGP again.

One (or both) of them (SGP or ASP) should be configured to periodically
reattempt.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/