Subject: [Sigtran] IPSP and ASP

From: "PSK Chakravarthi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:25:48 +0530

After reading section 1.3.2 of RFC 3332 I am getting doubt on what is the
difference between ASP and IPSP.  As per this section IPSP is also depending
on MTP3 services provided by the SGP. Can somebody state (or give a pointer
to) all the differences between ASP and IPSP.

Thanks in advance
Chak

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:00:53 -0700

Chak,

PSK Chakravarthi wrote:                                                                (Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:25:48)
> on MTP3 services provided by the SGP.

How did you get that impression?  Section 1.3.2 states:

  "The M3UA layer may also be used for point-to-point signalling between
   two IP Server Processes (IPSPs).  In this case, the M3UA layer
   provides the same set of primitives and services at its upper layer
   as the MTP3. However, in this case the expected MTP3 services are not
   offered remotely from an SGP.  The MTP3 services are provided but the
   procedures to support these services are a subset of the MTP3
   procedures due to the simplified point-to-point nature of the IPSP to
   IPSP relationship."

The IPSP does not use the services of an SGP.  It provides (somehow, not
really talked about in the RFC) a simplified set of these services itself.
So, to some degree, it can be viewed that an IPSP contains both an
ASP-function (ASF) and an SGP-function (SGF).

This is what distinguishes an IPSP from an ASP.

--brian

> Can somebody state (or give a pointer

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/