Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA IG Last Call Comment: Padding

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:55:13 +0100

Dear all,

RFC 3332 states:

    Parameter Value: variable length.

       The Parameter Value field contains the actual information to be
       transferred in the parameter.

       The total length of a parameter (including Tag, Parameter Length
       and Value fields) MUST be a multiple of 4 bytes.  If the length of
       the parameter is not a multiple of 4 bytes, the sender pads the
       Parameter at the end (i.e., after the Parameter Value field) with
       all zero bytes.  The length of the padding is NOT included in the
       parameter length field.  A sender SHOULD NOT pad with more than 3
       bytes.  The receiver MUST ignore the padding bytes.

I think we have to change the sentence
       A sender SHOULD NOT pad with more than 3 bytes.
to
       A sender MUST NOT pad with more than 3 bytes.

Without this change a receive is not able to skip unknown
parameters because there is no reliable information where the next 
parameter
starts.

Best regards
Michael

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran