Subject: [Sigtran] SUAv16: Query on syntax of Hostname

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:20:44 +0100

In Section 3.10.2.7 Hostname it states:

This field contains a host name in "host name syntax" per RFC 1123 Section 2.1.

RFC 1123 Section 2.1 refers to RFC 952 which states:

   A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
   to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
   sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
   they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". 

RFC 1123 later refers to RFC 1035 which states:

Domain names in messages are expressed in terms of a sequence of labels.
Each label is represented as a one octet length field followed by that
number of octets. 

So, which syntax is used in SUA messages?

Thanks,
Joyce

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:06:32 +0300

Joyce,

>    they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". 

The entent was to have it follow the above definition.

John

---

From: Coene Lode <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:03:01 +0200

John & Joyce,

I had a llok at the definitions and the reference to RFC1123 section 2.1 is
confusing, to say the least(My fault...)
RFC1123 section 2.1 referes indeed to RFC952 which specify the DNS name as a
text string. That is the textual convention for putting the DNS name into a
program. It is the same as the textual convention for IPv4 and IPv6
address(textual ipv4 = 192.10.7.125 -> 12 ASCI characters <=> look at the
source and destination address field in a IP packet and you get 4 bytes..
That is the defined syntax of the ipvx address in the IP protocol...
It however does NOT specify how the DNS name is specified in the DNS
protocol. That is more or less specified in RFC1035: there the domain name
is specified as an sequence of labels and it is this syntax that is put in
the DNS query message.

So the specification of the Domain name as I intended that it should be the
one found in RFC1035 section 3.1.
I have in my SUA implementation used this specific encoding....
So the present specification can be interpreted in more than one way... And
that is wrong.. And my fault..

So for the implementaor guide for SUA that I am producing, I am going to
correct this so that it points to the correct interpretation....(RFC1035
section 3.1)

Yours sincerely,
Lode

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: vrijdag 16 april 2004 13:07
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Sigtran] SUAv16: Query on syntax of Hostname
> 
> 
> Joyce,
>