Subject: [Sigtran] SUA: Query regarding REG REQ

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:44:51 +0530

Hi,

A)

Referring to RFC3868, Sec 3.8.1 - Reg Req message

The routing key in the REG REQ maps to a specific AS. When the REG REQ
message is received at the SGP, 

how  would the SGP identify which AS the routing key is related to - is
there any field in the message which

identifies the AS?

B) In RFC3868, Sec 4.4.1 it states

An ASP MAY modify an existing Routing Key by including a Routing

Context parameter in the REG REQ. If the SGP determines that the

Routing Context applies to an existing Routing Key, the SG MAY adjust

the existing Routing Key to match the new information provided in the

Routing Key parameter. A Registration Response "Routing Key Change

Refused" is returned if the SGP does not accept the modification of

the Routing Key.

However in the message REG REQ there is no Routing Context field -- can
anyone explain this?

Regards,

Varadaraj

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:42:29 -0600

varadaraj.yatirajula,

Please see comments inline:

[email-masked] wrote:       (Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:44:51)
> 
>    Hi,
> 
>    A) Referring to RFC3868, Sec 3.8.1 - Reg Req message
> 
>    The routing key in the REG REQ maps to a specific AS. When the REG
>    REQ message is received at the SGP, how   would  the SGP identify
>    which AS the routing key is related to - is there any field in the
>    message which identifies the AS?
> 

Yes.  The Routing Key (RK).

Remember that there is a 1:1:1 correspondence between an RK, an RC, and
an AS.

>    However  in  the  message REG REQ there is no Routing Context field --
>    can anyone explain this?

Adding the RC to the RK was missed when the text was editted into the
RFC from draft-bidulock-sigtran-regext-03.txt (and was noted as missing
in that draft).

Section 3.10.4 on page 87 needs to be changed as follows:

OLD TEXT:
---------

   The Key field contains the following parameters:

      Parameter
         Traffic Mode Type          Optional
         Network Appearance         Optional *1
         Source Address             Optional
         Destination Address        Optional
         Address Range              Optional

   Note 1:    The Network Appearance parameter must be included in the
              Routing Key when the ASP is able to register in multiple
              SS7 Network contexts.

NEW TEXT:
---------

   The Key field contains the following parameters:

      Parameter
         Traffic Mode Type          Optional
         Network Appearance         Optional *1
         Source Address             Optional
         Destination Address        Optional
         Address Range              Optional
         Routing Context            Optional *2

   Note 1:    The Network Appearance parameter must be included in the
              Routing Key when the ASP is able to register in multiple
              SS7 Network contexts.

   Note 2:    The Routing Context parameter is included in the Routing
              Key when the ASP wishes to alter an existing Routing Key
              which corresponds to the indicated Routing Context.  The
              Routing Context parameter MUST only occur once in the Key
              parameters.

I suggest that this change be added to the SUA IG.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/