Subject: [Sigtran] SIGTRAN Interop, day 2

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:33:00 +0200

Dear all,

yesterday some points were brought up:

1. The M3UA document says that you can use DAUD messages
    to figure out the state of SS7 point codes. Some participants
    interpreted this in a way that you can not use these messages
    to find the state of point codes represented by ASes.
    But the sending ASP can not know if the point code is represented
    by an 'SS7 based node' or an 'IP based node'.

2. It was not clear to all participants that it can happen that an
    SG does not send DAVAs and so on without sending an DAUD.

3. The last point is related to all UAs and is related to sending
    messages with a version number not equal 1. (There are conformance
    tests by ETSI which test this). It was not clear if the error
    cause 'invalid version' or 'protocol error' should be returned.
    It should be made clear that 'invalid version' is the most
    appropriate here (and the one expected by the conformance tests).

That's it for the second day.

Best regards
Michael

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Ken A Morneault \(kmorneau\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:55:45 -0400

some feedback below....

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Michael Tuexen
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:33 AM
To: Sigtran
Subject: [Sigtran] SIGTRAN Interop, day 2

Dear all,

My interpretation is that a SS7 point code can be supported
by a SS7 based or IP based node.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean without receiving
a DAUD?

Best regards
Michael

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:15:21 +0200

Hi Ken,

see my comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael

> by a SS7 based or IP based node.
Same for me and from the group here.
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean without receiving
The point is that there was the case that an SG was waiting for a DAUD
before sending DUNA/DAVA and the ASP was thinking that the SG will send
DUNA/DAVA without getting a DAUD.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:29:30 -0600

Michael,

Michael Tuexen wrote:                                                              (Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:15:21)
> DUNA/DAVA without getting a DAUD.

Do you mean during start up (AS activation) or under normal operating
conditions?

If at start up, the behaviour is one way of doing things.  But see also
section 4.6 rfc3332bis-04.

If for network events under normal operating conditions, the behaviour
is incorrect:

DUNA/DAVA correspond to MTP-STATUS primitive and will be sent under the
same conditions at that primitives is sent to an MTP User.  As there is
no MTP primitive equivalent of DAUD, an ASP should not be required to
send a DAUD to receive MTP-STATUS but must be able to expect DUNA/DAVA
under same conditions as the MTP User receives MTP-STATUS.

See section 4.5.1. rfc3332bis-04.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/