Subject: [Sigtran] SUA: Query regarding Segmentation/Reassembly and Address Range

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:57:35 +0530

Hi,

1) Referring to Section 4.7.1 of RFC 3868

4.7.1. Segmenting / Reassembly
When it is expected that signalling messages will not fit into a PDU
of the most restrictive transport technology used (e.g., 272-SIF of
MTP3), then segmenting/reassembly could be performed at the SG, ASP
or IPSP.

The fragmentation and assembly on the IP side is handled by the SCTP.
For messages, from and to the SS7 networks,
message segmentation is provided by the SCCP at the SG. So why do we
need segmentation and reassembly at the SUA.

Also when SUA will be sending/receiving messages over SCTP, then what
should be the maximum size of PDU.

2) Referring to Section 3.10.14. Routing Key of RFC 3868

A Routing Key can have an address range as a parameter. Is it valid to
have a hostname/IP Address range in a Routing key.

Regards
Amrita 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:35:41 -0600

amrita.garg,

[email-masked] wrote:                                                   (Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:57:35)
>    need segmentation and reassembly at the SUA.

It must be segmented before going to SS7.  In SS7 it is the SCCP User's
responsibility to segment.

>    should be the maximum size of PDU.

What do you think it is? (Hint: segmentation is only required by SS7.)

>    have a hostname/IP Address range in a Routing key.

You can have pretty much whatever you want in a Routing Key, it is just that
you can only register routing keys using the fields provided.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/