Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:52:01 -0400

Brian,

There are some applications that do not need to process an N-PCSTATE
indication and they will work perfectly fine in the networks.  We are
experiencing no problems at all.  If you really want me to give you a
real example of an application that works without PCs, I can.

Again, I'm am NOT trying to demand that anyone generates an N-PCSTATE
message.  I'm trying to use the SCON as described in the RFC today.  I
want to indicate CONGESTION at an ASP (as described in the RFC).  

Regards,
Lincoln

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:48 PM
To: Haresign Lincoln
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:
(Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:37:06)
> 
> Perhaps you have a different version of Q.771 then I do.  I guess I 
> don't see anything in this document that requires the TC user to have 
> knowledge of a point code.  And we have deployed applications with TC 
> users that have no knowledge of point code.

Yes, and from what I understand, applications that ignore N-PCSTATE
indications contrary to SCCP and TCAP standards.

I find it interesting that you ignore on the one SCCP-User the very
N-PCSTATE indication that you are demanding that you generate without
providing a point code from the other SCCP-User.

On the one hand you say that you ignore the N-PCSTATE because it is
"meaningless" and you don't want to track the point codes it contains,
yet on the other end you want to generate one without specifying a point
code.

I have no doubt that you have deployed such ASPs without point codes.
And I'm sure you are exepriencing problems because of it.

Start by observing the SS7 standards, assign point codes (MTP-SAP) at
your SCCP and SCCP-Users, process received N-PCSTATE indications, and
your problems will go away.

SS7 SCCP does not save you the task of assigning point codes: do not
expect SUA to relieve you of what you indicate as such a great burden.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:59:57 -0600

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:                                                           (Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:52:01)
> real example of an application that works without PCs, I can.

But this is the very indication that you are attempting to generate
by sending SCON from an ASP to an SG.  You are going to ignore it at
the other end.

> want to indicate CONGESTION at an ASP (as described in the RFC).  

And the SG will what?  Generate an N-PCSTATE at the remote that you ignore.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/