Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Congestion in M3UA/SUA and the use of the SCON

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:43:29 -0400

Brian,

Perhaps you were not aware, but additional GTT can also take place at an
endpoint.  Many STPs will do GTT and they can allow further GTT to take
place at the final destination (the signalling end point).  In this
case, it will arrive at an SG with a GTT in the called and calling
address.  The SG is not required to (and probably shouldn't) convert the
called address to a PC/SSN.  So a CLDT may arrive at the ASP with JUST a
GT in the called address.  

And you may have designed your architecture so the ASPs have no need to
know their point code (a much simpler configuration).  This is nothing
NEW or outside the spec.

Regards,
Lincoln 

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 1:26 PM
To: Haresign Lincoln
Cc: Tolga Asveren; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] Congestion in M3UA/SUA and the use of the SCON

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:
(Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:02:26)
> Brian,
> 
> If I'm reading the SUA RFC correctly (section 3.10.2), there is no 
> requirement to put the DPC in the address when using GT.  There are a 
> variety of other scenarios also where no PC is required.

You will not see a requirement for the protocol to be useful either.

To be useful for SS7 SCCP, final GTT must be performed before a message
reaches its endpoint.  SUA permits relay nodes, that either have final
GTT performed ahead of them (MTP3 Relay) or perform GTT themselves (SCCP
Relay).  This is how SS7 SCCP works.  Were you not aware?

SUA is used to transparently transport SS7 SCCP, not to invent a brand
new protocol, addressing scheme, network manangement, or configuration.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:18:34 -0600

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:                                                           (Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:43:29)
> endpoint.

Yes, and the result of GTT is a point code.

> Many STPs will do GTT and they can allow further GTT to take
> place at the final destination (the signalling end point).

And to send the message to that end point requires a point code.

> In this
> address.

If there is no point code in the called address, it is taken from the
DPC of the MTP label.  SUA does not have an MTP label so this information
is included in the Called Address for SUA.

> The SG is not required to (and probably shouldn't) convert the
> called address to a PC/SSN.

For ASP operation it does.  SUA SG-ASP transport the SCCP-SCCP User
interface (see the RFC).  See Q.711.  CL and CREF are always delivered
to the SCCP User with a MTP-SAP (point code and SI value).

> So a CLDT may arrive at the ASP with JUST a GT in the called address.  

No.  There are some cases in Q.711 CO where the Responding Address can
differ from the Called Address during connection set up, but both still
contain an MTP-SAP.

> know their point code (a much simpler configuration).  This is nothing

You can do that, however, to signal SCCP congestion requires identification
of the SCCP that is suffering congestion, and the SCCP is identified by its
MTP-SAP (point code and SI value), not by a Global Title.  Therefore, the
Affected Point Code is mandatory in the SCON, just as it is mandatory in
the N-PCSTATE Indication.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/