Subject: RE: [Sigtran] recommendations for M3UA/SUA BEATs when running overSCTP

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:11:02 -0400

Brian,

My point is that in SS7 networks, links fail.  There is no getting
around it.  Our SS7 software is deployed in hundreds of networks
throughout the world and on a fairly regular basis, we have had to work
with customers to help them resolve why links are failing (I/O cards
gone bad, bad use of the Master clock in the network, bad cables, bad
connectors, etc...).

And when they fail, the layer above (MTP Level 3) has a procedure to
ensure no data loss when alternate paths exist to route the message. I
believe a similar mechanism should exist in SIGTRAN to get the same
level of fault tolerance in SS7.

Regards,
Lincoln

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:08 PM
To: Haresign Lincoln
Cc: Jeff Morriss; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] recommendations for M3UA/SUA BEATs when running
overSCTP

Lincoln,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:
(Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:39:15)
> Brian,
> 
> 
> Yes, I believe we do need to have the protocols handle bad networks 
> (why not...in SS7 they do).

SS7 will simply not operate on links with greater that 1 x 10E-06 bit
error rate.  I would not call that handling a bad network.  SS7 will
only run over graded facilities.

I agree with Tolga when he says that we envisioned SIGTRAN as running
over graded facilities as well.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:23:15 -0600

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:                                                            (Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:11:02)
> level of fault tolerance in SS7.

Of course I agree.  That is why I wrote draft-bidulock-sigtran-corid.  It
provides just such a mechanism using existing protocol elements.  Also it
addresses M3UA, SUA and TUA, not just M3UA.

Would you like to see that draft made a WG item?

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/