Subject: [Sigtran] SUA :Query on Routing Indicator(Section 3.10.2.1 )

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:34:34 +0530

Hi Brian,
     When routing indicator value is 4 that means route on 
     SSN ( mandatory ) + IP Address (optional).

     However, Address indicator Bits only say  whether GT, PC or SSN are
present 
     or not. How do we ensure whether IP address is present or not?

    Will it not suitable if IP address is mandatory and SSN is optional?

    (Because Hostname is mandatory and SSN is optional for Routing
indicator = 3.)

Regards,
Partha.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:55:57 -0600

partha.dey,

I thought that the Address Indicator bits were just for SS7 interworking,
to indicate whether the PC was taken from the calling party address or
whether it was taken from the OPC of the MTP routing label.

For RI=4, can not the IP Address be inferred from the host sending the
message (i.e, the IP Header) if it is not present?  However, the SSN
cannot be inferred from the IP Header.  (The port number is always an
SUA port number rather than a service port number.)

For RI=3, there is no hostname in the IP header, it cannot be inferred
from any part of the message, and that is why it is mandatory.  As
regards SSN, cannot the hostname imply subsystem?  E.g, hlr.mydomain.com.
Therefore, SSN is optional.

I don't know that we really though out hostname and IP address all that
well.  For IP relay applications, it might be better to use SCTP as a
direct SCCP replacement ala ITU.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                     (Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:34:34)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/