Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:46:23 -0400

John,

The TC-USER "may" pass down the point code.  Fine.  In that case, the
ASP has knowledge of it's point code.  However, it is not a MUST.
Therefore, let's try to solve that case.  Why do you feel it is
necessary to provion a Point Code on the ASP when the ASP never uses the
knowledge in normal routing scenarios?

Regards,
Lincoln 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Haresign Lincoln; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

>It might be best then to leave the APC mandatory in the SCON, 
>particularly when one considers that not even a TC-user is spared the 
>use of a point code in these management primitives (Q.771/2.2.3).
>
>I think we need, for the time being, to note in the I-G that Point 
>Codes are mandatory in all Addresses to or from an SG, to preclude the 
>interoperability difficulties of an SG or ASP underspecifying an 
>address.
>If the additional work you mention ever materializes in the future, 
>placing point code in addresses could later be relaxed.

I agree.  Since a TC-user may pass this down, then I think it mostly
likely is required for SUA.

John

______________________________________________________________________
  This email message has been scanned by PineApp Mail-Secure and has
been found clean.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:50:55 -0600

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:                                                           (Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:46:23)
> knowledge in normal routing scenarios?

ASPs don't route on source addresses.  Neither do SGs.  Neither does SS7.
Gee, neither does IP.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/