Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:31:01 -0400

John,

I agree...SGs always have point codes.  

With regards to ASPs, there are SOME architectures where PCs are NOT
necessary.  Of course there are others where they ARE necesssary.  I'm
trying to solve the problem of when they are NOT necessary and NO other
problem.  I'm sure we can think of many scenarios where affected PC is
necessary.  And I'm not arguing against those scenarios.

But I think you have to admit that there are SOME architectures where it
is not necessary for the ASP to know it's Point Code.  As a matter of
fact, we have this architecture deployed in several large networks
today. If you'd like me to elaborate further, I'd be happy to.

So if we go on the premise that there are some network architectures
that do not require knowledge of point code in the ASP, then we either
need to:

1) Unneccessarily configure the point code on the ASP only so that we
can send an SCON with the required affected point code.

OR:

2) Make the point code optional for certain scenarios.  For example when
the ASP and the SG share the same point code.

Regards,
Lincoln

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 2:18 AM
To: [email-masked]; Haresign Lincoln
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Recommendation for SUA modifications

Hi all,

>I don't see why SUA should be any different.  I can't speak for the 
>other authors, but when we wrote the SUA RFC, I never considered that 
>an ASP or SG would ever not include a point code in an address.
>
>Making the point codes mandatory in address fields for all SUA messages

>better promotes interoperability in all configurations, and the 
>miniscule expense of causing an ASP to provision a single point code 
>for an SG with only a single point code.

Just as background - there were some discussions that ASPs might not
have Point Codes, but some other work to really enable ASPs to funtion
properly without Point Codes never really materialized.  I think some
additional work would be needed to make this usable.  SGs were always
considered to have Point Codes, in my opinion.

John

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:35:43 -0600

Haresign,

Haresign Lincoln wrote:                                                           (Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:31:01)
> can send an SCON with the required affected point code.

You have another choice right now: don't send SCON from the ASP.

Because the SG can ignore received SCON, it is not interoperable anyway.

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/