Subject: RE:[SIGTRAN] ASPs Load sharing traffic

From: Saraswati Bose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:31:31 -0800 (PST)

Brian,
   Please answer the below queries related to ASPs load sharing traffic within a AS.
 
1. Which parameter can be used for IUA for load sharing traffic on a round robin basis between multiple active ASPs within the AS like SLS in M3UA and SSN in SUA?
 
2. What exact parameters can be kept common for the multiple ASPs sharing traffic? Should it be the routing tables, RCs etc? Suggest.
 
3. Will the multiple ASPs sharing traffic be uniquely identified by SCTP association or is there ant other parameters also?
 
4. Can we opt for 1+0 model with load share traffic mode or should it be treated as a invalid configuration?
 
5. I think only redundant ASPs can load share traffic.
 
As per the RFCs the option may  lie with SG whether it will or won't distribute traffic to redundant ASPs (traffic mode = 2) depending on availability of the ASP the SG is currently communicating with. 
Tell me what condition apply for the above type communciation?

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.  

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:52:44 -0700

Saraswati,

Please see comments below...

Saraswati Bose wrote:                          (Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:31:31)
>    1.  Which  parameter can be used for IUA for load sharing traffic on a
>    round  robin basis between multiple active ASPs within the AS like SLS
>    in M3UA and SSN in SUA?

DLCI?

> 
> 
> 
>    2.  What  exact  parameters  can  be kept common for the multiple ASPs
>    sharing traffic? Should it be the routing tables, RCs etc? Suggest.
> 

Any parameter con be kept common, but none are required to be kept common.
Good sense would be to keep NA and RC/IID common across SGP-ASP relations.
The RFCs indicate this.

> 
> 
>    3. Will  the  multiple  ASPs sharing traffic be uniquely identified by
>    SCTP association or is there ant other parameters also?
> 

ASP Identifier.

>    be treated as a invalid configuration?

Sure, it is a valid configuration.  It is not precluded by the RFCs.

>    5. I think only redundant ASPs can load share traffic.

If there is only one ASP, loadsharing is simply a matter of routing all
messages to the same ASP.  There is little difference between one ASP
active for a loadsharing AS and a 1+0 configuration.

> 
> 
>    As  per the  RFCs the option may  lie with SG whether it will or won't
>    distribute  traffic  to redundant ASPs (traffic mode = 2) depending on
>    availability of the ASP the SG is currently communicating with.
> 

How about ASP availability to the distributing SGP? ;)

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/