Subject: [Sigtran] (M2PA) Question about the requirement "The same standard MUST be followed on both ends"

From: "Craig, Jeffrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:03:32 -0600

Hello All,
 
I am curious about the following RFC4165 M2PA requirement in section 4:
 
"The same standard MUST be followed on both ends of the M2PA link."

M2PA does not appear to provide a mechanism for the user to identify
the MTP2 standard upon which it is based, nor does it provide a
mechanism to communicate that information to its peer. Given these
facts, how is the user or the protocol supposed to satisfy the
requirement?

Shouldn't the statement be changed to something like:

Interoperability cannot be guaranteed between two M2PA peers that are
based
upon different MTP2 standards, and so the M2PA user SHOULD ensure that
M2PA
peers conform to the same standard.

Or, alternatively, perhaps M2PA should provide a mechanism to
communicate
the MTP2 standard upon which it is based. Perhaps a new parameter in the
Link Status Alignment messsage can serve this purpose.

Regards,

Jeff

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:57:10 -0700

Craig,,

SS7 itself has no such mechanism, and yet, the same standard must be
followed on both ends of an SS7 link or the link will not operate
correctly.

As is is done in SS7 today, by provisioning, without the need for protocol
elements, that should be ok for M2PA as well.

--brian

Craig, Jeffrey wrote:                         (Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:03:32)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/