Subject: [Sigtran] SUA Routing Key Parametes

From: Ilie Glib <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:48:45 +0100

Hello Folks,

I wonder what is the most general SUA RK format allowed by the RFC?

For instance, can Routing Key parameter include Source Address,
Destination Address, and Address Range parameters at the same time?
Current text in section 3.10.14. of the RFC does not prohibit it.

It seems that the RK cannot contain multiple destination SSNs which do
not form a contiguous range + one SSN (contiguous range of SSNs is
defined in address range parameter + one SSN from destination
address).
The consequence is that multiple RKs in an ASP are inevitable,
although there might be no need in managing each SSN individually via
ASPTM.

RK definition in M3UAbis is much better described. Is there any plan
to improve SUA RK definition?

Thank you in advance

--
Ilie

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:09:00 -0700

Ilie,

Ilie Glib wrote:                                                      (Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:48:45)
> Current text in section 3.10.14. of the RFC does not prohibit it.

Yes, but the SG is not required to accept all combinations.

> defined in address range parameter + one SSN from destination

To specify multiple non-contiguous SSN ranges, use multiple Address Range
parameters in the Routing Key.

> although there might be no need in managing each SSN individually via

See above.

> to improve SUA RK definition?

If you feel that you can improvie of the description, can you also
propose text?

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Ilie Glib <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:23:56 +0100

Hello Brian,

see below

Regards

Ilie

> parameters in the Routing Key.

[Ilie] This is not possible according to the following RFC and IG statements:

RFC, page 20: Optional parameters can only occur at most once in an SUA message.

IG, page 11:
2.7.  Parameters should only occur once in a message
2.7.1.  Description of the problem

   Parameters in SUA messages can be repeated as many times as possible.
   This would lead to inconsistencies, such as 2 or more destination
   addresses.

Due to this text it is not possible to include Multiple Destination
and Source addresses in the RK parameter either.
That's why I think text improvements  would help.

> If you feel that you can improvie of the description, can you also

[Ilie] I will think about it.

--
Ilie

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:42:31 -0700

Ilie,

> RFC, page 20: Optional parameters can only occur at most once in an SUA message.

This applies to parameters at the message level (that is, parameters
within the "Message Data" field), not TLVs within all structured fields.
Also, there are exceptions even to that rule: for example, it was always
the intention to permit a registration request message to contain multiple
Routing Key parameters.  You can see this explicitly permitted in section
4.4.1: "An ASP MAY register multiple Routing Keys at once by including
a number of Routing Key parameters in a single REG REQ message."

>    This would lead to inconsistencies, such as 2 or more destination

Again, this is at the "Message Data" level.  Also, this IG 2.7 section
conflicts with 4.4.1 above.  Remember the IG is not normative and is
subject to change.

> That's why I think text improvements  would help.

Well, it is possible.  It is even possible to repeat the other Routing Key
sub-paraemters.  Of course, if the SGP cannot support the routing key as
specified, it is welcome to reject it.  If you want to restrict your SG you
are welcome.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/