Subject: [Sigtran] SUA: RCs and DAUDs

From: "Erickson, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:19:03 -0600

All:

In the SUA RFC, DAUDs are permitted to not only have multiple
destinations, but also multiple RCs.  Since one determines network
domain from the RC, it's conceivable that if a DAUD has multiple RCs
they could be from different networks - i.e., the DAUD is
network-ambiguous.  Since there is no correlation of destination to RC
specified by the RFC, one would then have to generate a response for
each destination's appearance in each network referenced by the list of
RCs.

So, as a suggestion/proposal, if the SG receives a DAUD containing
multiple RCs, if:

a)       the RCs all reference one network, process the DAUD and return
status for the destinations (each status response would contain one
destination but all the applicable RCs from the DAUD)

b)      the RCs reference multiple networks, reject the DAUD with an
error, say maybe "Invalid RC".

Comments, rebuttals?  Or maybe I'm just off base here?

Mark

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:51:04 -0700

Mark,

Well, section 4.5.3 says:

   An SG MAY refuse to provide the availability or congestion status of
   a destination or subsystem if, for example, the ASP is not authorized
   to know the status of the destination or subsystem.  The SG MAY
   respond with an Error Message (Error Code = "Destination Status
   Unknown") or Error Message (Error Code = "Subsystem Status Unknown").

which you are pretty much welcome to use in any circumstance where the
the SG will not or cannot provide the status.

But, why don't you just return the status?

--brian

Erickson, Mark wrote:                          (Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:19:03)
>    each  destination's  appearance in each network referenced by the list
>    of RCs.
> 
> 
>    a)        the  RCs  all  reference  one  network, process the DAUD and
>    return status for the destinations (each status response would contain
>    one destination but all the applicable RCs from the DAUD)
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/