Subject: RE: [Sigtran] SUA: RCs and DAUDs

From: "Erickson, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:52:30 -0600

The problem is not returning the status - the problem is if there are
more than one network referenced by the RCs, what status do you return?
The SG  must provide the status for each network, whether the auditing
ASP actually cares about the destination in a network or not, since the
ASP hasn't given the SG a clear indication of his/her intention.  So,
potentially, for the one message, there are ((# RCs in DAUD) * (#
destinations in DAUD) * 2) messages going back if congestion and
availability status are included.  If the ASP audits frequently, as we
have seen in some cases, a fair amount of overhead traffic can be
generated.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:51 PM
To: Erickson, Mark
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] SUA: RCs and DAUDs

Mark,

Well, section 4.5.3 says:

   An SG MAY refuse to provide the availability or congestion status of
   a destination or subsystem if, for example, the ASP is not authorized
   to know the status of the destination or subsystem.  The SG MAY
   respond with an Error Message (Error Code = "Destination Status
   Unknown") or Error Message (Error Code = "Subsystem Status Unknown").

which you are pretty much welcome to use in any circumstance where the
the SG will not or cannot provide the status.

But, why don't you just return the status?

--brian

Erickson, Mark wrote:                          (Thu, 16 Feb 2006
09:19:03)
> 
>    All:
> 
> 
>    In  the  SUA  RFC,  DAUDs  are  permitted  to  not  only have
multiple
>    destinations,  but  also  multiple  RCs.  Since one determines
network
>    domain  from  the RC, it's conceivable that if a DAUD has multiple
RCs
>    they   could   be   from  different  networks  -  i.e.,  the  DAUD
is
>    network-ambiguous.  Since there is no correlation of destination to
RC
>    specified  by  the RFC, one would then have to generate a response
for
>    each  destination's  appearance in each network referenced by the
list
>    of RCs.
> 
> 
>    So,  as  a  suggestion/proposal,  if the SG receives a DAUD
containing
>    multiple RCs, if:
> 
>    a)        the  RCs  all  reference  one  network, process the DAUD
and
>    return status for the destinations (each status response would
contain
>    one destination but all the applicable RCs from the DAUD)
> 
>    b)       the  RCs reference multiple networks, reject the DAUD with
an
>    error, say maybe "Invalid RC".
> 
> 
>    Comments, rebuttals?  Or maybe I'm just off base here?
> 
> 
>    Mark

> _______________________________________________
> Sigtran mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:14:09 -0700

Mark,

There are also provisions for trickling the responses back.  It does
not take multiple RCs with multiple Destinations to cause congestion
in this regard, just DAUD 1(*) is enough if there are many nodes in
a network.  So that's not really a reason, you need congestion avoidance
on responses anyway.

--brian

Erickson, Mark wrote:                                            (Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:52:30)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/