Subject: [Sigtran] m2ua AS state

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:36:59 +0530

Hi,

            Rfc 3331 in section 1.5.1 states that :

"Note that only one SGP SHOULD provide Signalling Link Terminal

   services to an SS7 link.  Therefore, within an SG, an Application

   Server SHOULD be active for only one SGP at any given point in time."

Brain, can you throw some light on the significance of the overall AS
state at SG, considering the above statement.  What does being active at
one SGP signify, when the overall  state of AS is maintained at SG? Does
it mean that SG maintains which AS is active at what SGP?

Regards,

Prabind

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 00:39:54 -0700

prabind.chaubey,

The authors of the M2UA specification acknowledged that the traditional
approach to SS7 signalling link control is to have a single active
Signalling Terminal for an SS7 Signalling Data Link.  Certainly,
however, it is possible to conceive of a system in which multiple SGP
could have simultaneous control, and thus the "SHOULD" (instead of
"MUST") language in the passages you quote.

It does not really impact the shared AS state discussion.  Certainly, if
only one SGP can have control of a Signalling Link, some AS state
coordination across multiple SGP serving the same AS is necessary in
either event.  If only one SGP can be active for an AS, then it must
coordinate with any others serving the AS to provide assurances to that
effect.  If multiple SGP can be active for the AS, there is most
certainly a closely coupled coordination between the active SGP.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                           (Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:36:59)
>    state  at SG, considering the above statement.  What does being active
>    at one SGP signify, when the overall  state of AS is maintained at SG?
>    Does it mean that SG maintains which AS is active at what SGP?
> 
> 
> 
>    Regards,
> 
> 
>    Prabind

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/