Subject: [Sigtran] SUA: CLDT: RC Parameter

From: "May, Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:53:12 +0100

Hi,

The RC parameter is mandatory in CLDT messages.  Please can you check my
understanding of how this parameter should be used in the three
following situations.

When a CLDT is sent from an SGP to an ASP the value this parameter
should be set to is the RC of the AS the message is for.  The ASP may
use this parameter for local distribution of the message.

When a CLDT is sent from an ASP to an SGP the value this parameter
should be set to is the RC of the AS the message is from.  The SGP may
use this parameter to determine the Network Context applicable to the
CLDT.

When a CLDT is sent from an IPSP to an IPSP the value this parameter
should be set to is the RC of the AS the message is for.  The IPSP may
use this parameter for local distribution of the message.

Best Regards

Howard May

P.S. Is there any news on the ETSI SIGTRAN plugtest in Q4 this year?

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 04:04:01 -0600

Hi Howard,

Please see comments below...

May, Howard wrote:                            (Wed, 31 May 2006 10:53:12)
> use this parameter for local distribution of the message.

Yes.

> use this parameter to determine the Network Context applicable to the

Yes, and any other restrictions or permissions that might be associated
with the AS at the SGP (such as calling party address).

> use this parameter for local distribution of the message.

For SE-IPSP, the AS the message is for and the AS the message is from are
the same.  For DE-IPSP, because messages are essentially sent from the SGPF
to the ASPF in the criss-cross model, the AS is the As that the message is
for just as in the SGP->ASP case above.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Ilie Glib" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:44:57 +0200

Hello Brian, May,

I think, in case of IPSP to IPSP model, there are two ASes (AS1 and
AS2), one at each side. For SE-IPSP implies activation of both ASes
via one ACTIVE message, the RC exchanged in the ACTIVE message shall
identify both ASes. Consequently RC1 = RC2. Since RC values are
allocated by SGPF, SGPF shall assign RC values consistently. Probably
the only feasible way to assign RCs is by provisioning for SE model.

I have some doubts about the case when an IPSP serves multiple ASes
and SE-IPSP model is in use. Is this situation possible, can AS1 talk
to AS3 and AS4

IPSP1 ----------------------------- IPSP2

AS1 <---------------------------------> AS3
                            |
AS2                     --------------> AS4

How can AS4 go inactive, while AS3 be active in SE model?

Thank you in advance

Ilie

-- 
Ilie

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:42:01 -0600

Ilie,

In IPSP-SE model there is only one AS.

I think that you are trying to run two IPSP-DE nodes like SE.

Two AS's never communicate with each other directly, only via SGP
or SGPF, and even then, one AS is not aware whether another is an
AS or a regular SS7 node.

--brian

Ilie Glib wrote:                              (Wed, 31 May 2006 20:44:57)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:37:24 -0400

Ilie,

I may be missing something, but if you use different RC for AS1/AS# and
AS1/AS4 relationships, would there be any problem?

    Thanks,
    Tolga

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ilie Glib [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:45 PM
> To: [email-masked]; May, Howard; sigtran
> Subject: Re: [Sigtran] SUA: CLDT: RC Parameter
>
>
> Hello Brian, May,
>