Subject: RE: [Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:54:38 +0530

Hi Michael,

As mentioned by you

 2.4.2 E1 ? DASS2
 
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |          Length (0xC)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | NA| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22|D23|D24|D25|D26|D27|D28|D29|D30|D31|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   NA stands for Not Applicable.  D0 is not applicable because timeslot 
   0 is used for E1 framing and synchronization bits.
   DLC 16 is valid for DASS2 (BTNR190) but DASS2 does not have virtuals.

My Views :- 

As per RFC, in case of DASS2 (E1 interface), there would be a total of 30 
DLCs (no virtuals).
but as per your format there is 31 DLCs (only D0 invalid). 

Are you sure about including D16 also. 

Regards
Ankur Arora 

"Michael Mentz" <[email-masked]> 
07/19/2006 02:32 PM

To
Ankur Arora/HSS@HSS, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, 
<[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
RE: [Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

Hi Ankur,
 
I agree, T1 DASS2 would have the length set to 10 bytes accordingly, the 
rest filled up with padding 0's to nearest 4 bytes as per usual xUA 
message rules.
 
worth noting that in the case of E1 (and T1 I think) DASS2, DLC 16 can be 
established (in DPNSS it cannot), so the section would look something 
like..
 
For your T1 DPNSS query, DLC32 would be valid.

2.4.1 E1 - DPNSS
     etc.. etc.. Length (0x14)
 
2.4.2 E1 ? DASS2
 
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |          Length (0xC)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | NA| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22|D23|D24|D25|D26|D27|D28|D29|D30|D31|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   NA stands for Not Applicable.  D0 is not applicable because timeslot 
   0 is used for E1 framing and synchronization bits.
   DLC 16 is valid for DASS2 (BTNR190) but DASS2 does not have virtuals.
 
2.4.3 T1 - DPNSS
 
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |         Length (0x10)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | D0| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22| NA|D24|D25|D26|D27|D28|D29|D30|D31|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D32|D33|D34|D35|D36|D37|D38|D39|D40|D41|D42|D43|D44|D45|D46| NA|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   D23 is not applicable for a T1 interface because timeslot 23 is used
   for signalling.  For DPNSS, there would be a total of max 46 DLCs 
   (23 real + 23 virtual) and in case of DASS2 there would be a total
   of 23 DLCs (no virtuals).
 
2.4.4 T1 - DASS2 
 
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |          Length (0xA)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D0 | D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22|NA | Padding Bytes                 |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   NA stands for Not Applicable.  D23 is not applicable because timeslot 
   23 is used for signalling.
 
   DLC 16 is valid for DASS2 (BTNR190) but DASS2 does not have virtuals.
   Padding bytes should be set to all 0's and ignored by the receiver. 

Hope this helps and makes it to the RFC..
Thanks,
Mike

From: Ankur Arora [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 19 July 2006 06:07
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Mentz, Michael (MOP:MA02); 
[email-masked]
Subject: Fw: [Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

Pls Comment

----- Forwarded by Ankur Arora/HSS on 07/19/2006 10:31 AM ----- 
sigtran_maillist@HSS 
07/18/2006 06:59 PM 

To
ietf <[email-masked]> 
cc

Subject
[Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

Hi, 

Query 1:-  

Please Confirm whether the DLC status parameter for DASS protocol has the 
following format or not. 

For DASS :-   
        E1 Interface :-  

        0                   1                   2                   3 
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  |          Tag (0x12)           |             Length            | 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  | NA| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  | NA|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22|D23|D24|D25|D26|D27|D28|D29|D30|D31| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  
       where length is 12 Bytes. 

For DASS :-   
        T1 Interface :-  

        0                   1                   2                   3 
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  |          Tag (0x12)           |             Length            | 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  | D0| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22| NA|                Padding Bytes     | 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
    
        Where length is 10 Bytes. 
        and 2 bytes are the Padding Bytes which should be set to all 0's 
and ignored by the receiver. 

Query 2 :- 

Section 2.4 DUA RFC   
For DPNSS (T1 Interface) :- 

"This parameter will have the following format for a T1 interface: 

       0                   1                   2                   3 
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  |          Tag (0x12)           |             Length            | 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  | D0| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22| NA|D24|D25|D26|D27|D28|D29|D30|D31| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  | NA|D33|D34|D35|D36|D37|D38|D39|D40|D41|D42|D43|D44|D45|D46| NA| 
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
    
   D23 is not applicable for a T1 interface because timeslot 23 is used 
  for signaling.  For DPNSS, there would be a total of max 46 DLCs (23 
  real + 23 virtual)" 

So, as per RFC there would be a total of max 46 links for T1 interface, 
but   
the figure shows that there are only 45 valid links (where D23, D32 and 
D47   
are  Invalid/NA). According to my understanding, one out of two DLCs (D32 
and D47) 
should be NA not both. 

Regards 
Ankur Arora 

***********************  FSS-Private   *********************** 
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran 

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Michael Mentz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:24:28 +0100

Yes, there is a subtle statement in BTNR190, and I have also seen some
DASS2 PBX's and converters send SABMR for DLC16.
They send null UI(c) frames on DLC16 as a generic means of testing
connectivity (by gaining a UI(r) back or not).

________________________________

From: Ankur Arora [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: 19 July 2006 11:25
To: Mentz, Michael (MOP:MA02)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

Hi Michael, 

As mentioned by you 

 2.4.2 E1 - DASS2 
  
    0                   1                   2                   3 

My Views :- 

As per RFC, in case of DASS2 (E1 interface), there would be a total of
30 DLCs (no virtuals). 
but as per your format there is 31 DLCs (only D0 invalid). 

Regards 
Ankur Arora 

07/19/2006 02:32 PM 

To

Hi Ankur, 

worth noting that in the case of E1 (and T1 I think) DASS2, DLC 16 can
be established (in DPNSS it cannot), so the section would look something
like.. 

2.4.1 E1 - DPNSS 
  
2.4.2 E1 - DASS2 
  
    0                   1                   2                   3 

2.4.3 T1 - DPNSS 
  
    0                   1                   2                   3 

2.4.4 T1 - DASS2 
  
    0                   1                   2                   3 

  

________________________________

Pls Comment

----- Forwarded by Ankur Arora/HSS on 07/19/2006 10:31 AM ----- 
sigtran_maillist@HSS 

07/18/2006 06:59 PM 

To
ietf <[email-masked]> 
cc
Subject

Hi, 

Query 1:-   

Please Confirm whether the DLC status parameter for DASS protocol has
the following format or not. 

For DASS :-   
       E1 Interface :-   

       0                   1                   2                   3 

For DASS :-   
       T1 Interface :-   

       0                   1                   2                   3 
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
 |          Tag (0x12)           |             Length            | 
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
 | D0| D1| D2| D3| D4| D5| D6| D7| D8| D9|D10|D11|D12|D13|D14|D15| 
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
 |D16|D17|D18|D19|D20|D21|D22| NA|                Padding Bytes
| 
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

Query 2 :- 

Section 2.4 DUA RFC   

      0                   1                   2                   3 

So, as per RFC there would be a total of max 46 links for T1 interface,
but   
the figure shows that there are only 45 valid links (where D23, D32 and
D47   
are  Invalid/NA). According to my understanding, one out of two DLCs
(D32 and D47) 
should be NA not both. 

Regards 
Ankur Arora

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:35:56 +0530

Hi Michael,

As Per DUA RFC
"Data Link Connection(DLC) - A DLC is the level 2 process that
   controls the transfer of level 3 messages on behalf of one DPNSS
   channel.  A DLC uniquely identifies one DPNSS channel.

      -  DPNSS supports 60 DLCs (30 Real and 30 Virtual)
      -  DASSII supports 30 DLCs (All Real)"

where DPNSS Channel is defined in RFC as 

"DPNSS channel - Time slots 1 to 15 and 17 to 31 on a 2048 kbits/s
   interface or Time slots 1 to 23 on a 1544 kbits/s interface are
   termed as DPNSS channels.  These are the traffic channels that carry
   voice or data traffic.

      -  DPNSS supports 60 Channels (30 Real and 30 Virtual)
      -  DASS2 supports 30 Channels (All Real)"

It means that a DLC uniquely identifies one DPNSS channel and the DPNSS 
Channels 
are the traffic channels that carry Voice or data traffic.

Also section 1.1 in BTNR190 mentions 

" The transmission system provides 30 * 64 Kbits/s traffic channels, 1 * 
64 Kbits/s
frame alignment channel (time-slot 0) and 1 * 64 Kbit/s channel for common 
channel 
signalling (time-slot 16)." 

Hence, I think the format for DASS2 (E1 interface)is correct in RFC. 
please
comment on this.

For tsvwg :- Please take this change in DUA RFC

the Figure for T1 interface in section 2.4 

       0                    1                    2                    3 
 | D32|D33|D34|D35|D36|D37|D38|D39|D40|D41|D42|D43|D44|D45|D46| NA| 

The DLC D32 is valid for DPNSS T1 interface.

Regards
Ankur Arora

07/19/2006 03:54 PM

To
sigtran_maillist@HSS
cc
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, 
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: [Sigtran] DUA : Query about format of DLC status parameter

Hi Michael, 

As mentioned by you 

 2.4.2 E1 ?  DASS2 
  
    0                    1                    2                   3 

My Views :- 

Regards 
Ankur Arora 

07/19/2006 02:32 PM 

To

Subject

Hi Ankur, 

  

2.4.1 E1 - DPNSS 
  
2.4.2 E1 ? DASS2 
  
    0                    1                    2                    3 

2.4.3 T1 -  DPNSS 
  
    0                    1                    2                   3 

2.4.4 T1 - DASS2 
  
     0                   1                    2                    3 

Pls Comment

----- Forwarded  by Ankur Arora/HSS on 07/19/2006 10:31 AM ----- 
sigtran_maillist@HSS   

07/18/2006 06:59 PM 

To
ietf  <[email-masked]> 
cc

Subject

Hi, 

Query 1:-   

For DASS :-   
       E1 Interface :-   

       0                    1                    2                    3 

For DASS :-   
       T1 Interface :-    

        0                   1                    2                    3 

Query 2 :- 

Section 2.4 DUA RFC   

      0                    1                    2                    3 

Regards 
Ankur Arora