Subject: [Sigtran] SUA:- Query Regarding Hostname base Routing in SUA

From: "prashant gothi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:18:49 +0530

Secton 3.10 (rfc3868) states that Hostname is a Destination/Source Address
Sub-parameter.
   When the user requests to send CLDT message and gives Hostname in
Destination address:-
   SUA stack can process in the following two ways:

 Option A. SUA stack can resolve the Hostname and after resolution it will
get IP address. SUA will use this IP address to find the corresponding Peer
AS
and will perform IP based Routing. In this case SUA will change the Routing
indicator(From Route on Hostname to Route on SSN + IP Address)

 Option B. SUA stack has already been configured for Hostname based routing.
    At SG side SUA is able to to find AS using Hostname.
Question is that since an altogether new Routing Indicator  "Route on
Hostname" has been mentioned in the RFC (which was not there in SS7)
   Is there any advantage (or any additional feature) of hostname based
routing over IP based routing in SUA?
   Or is it just for conveinence of Application which do not know about IP
addr and talk in terms of Hostname?

rgds

prashant gothi
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran