Subject: [Sigtran] SIGTRAN:XUA Control message Rx

From: Saraswati Bose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Brian,
  Should an endpoint retransmit the same control message after being responded back with an error message in first instance?
   
  For example, if ASP receives an error message against ASP UP message sent then should it retransmit the same UP message again?
   
  Regards,
  Saraswati

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:44:50 -0600

Saraswati,

Saraswati Bose wrote:                           (Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:41:09)
> 
>    For  example,  if ASP receives an error message against ASP UP message
>    sent then should it retransmit the same UP message again?

Depends on the error and whether it is considered a permanent or temporary
situation.  For example, if the error is "Refused - Management Blocking,"
it would make sense for the ASP to reattempt ASP UP periodically.  If the
error is something like "Parameter Field Error," it is a permanent condition
and a reattempt is likely to acheive the same effect.  Nevertheless, it is
possible to reattempt periodically and inform management, and perhaps after
a number of reattempts give up.  This is all rather implementation dependent.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/