Subject: [Sigtran] Routing Key for an Appllication Server and an IP server

From: "Bui, MyHanh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:29:22 -0700

Hi All

1.                   Is it true that the routing key of an Application
Server can have 1 and only 1 unique DPC (while OPC, SI, CIC can be
different)? (This DPC is this AS's point code).  

2.                   The only difference about the IPSP and ASP is the
point to point nature.  Does this point to point mean that the routing
key for an IP server requires a DPC-OPC pair? Or it has other meaning?
I am not clear about this point to point.   

3.                   If question # 1 is TRUE then it means the routing
key of an IP server can only have 1 pair of DPC-OPC (while SI, CIC can
be different)?

MyHanh

<DIV><FONT size="1">

E-mail confidentiality.
--------------------------------
This e-mail contains confidential and / or privileged information belonging to Spirent Communications plc, its affiliates and / or subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution and / or the taking of any action based upon reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly forbidden. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. If you require assistance, please contact our IT department at [email-masked].

Spirent Communications plc,
Spirent House, Crawley Business Quarter, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9QL, United Kingdom.
Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677

Registered in England Number 470893
Registered at Spirent House, Crawley Business Quarter, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9QL, United Kingdom 

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,
26750 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91302, USA.
Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300 

</FONT></DIV>
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: anjali gurmukhani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:17:33 -0700 (PDT)

MyHanh...

  1) An application server is uniquely identified by a Routing Key. Now this Routing key can be any combination of DPC/OPC/SI/CIC. This combination has to be unique across the Application servers added. 
   
  What this means is that you can have two Application servers added such that one AS has a Routing key type as DPC only with DPC=X and another having Routing key type as DPC+OPC where DPC=X and OPC=Y.
   
  2) In IPSP-IPSP scenario, the communication is between two M3UA endpoints and the traffic has not be carried over the remote end as in the case of ASP-SGP scenario where the traffic is originating from SS7 side and has to be carried over to ASP OR is originating from ASP side and may be is destined for some point code in SS7 cloud. 
   
  So point-to-point means that between two end-points in IP domain/conceptually no services of SG being used..For ex, an MSC could be talking to an SG and IP resident HLR at the same time. So in this case , MSC-HLR communication is IPSP-IPSP( point-to-point) and MSC-SG is ASP-SG.
   
  As far as Routing Key type is concerned, it does not necessarily be DPC-OPC.can be DPC only also.
   
  3)Didnt much get what you mean by one pair of (DPC-OPC) ?can you elaborate

  -Regards
  Anjali.

"Bui, MyHanh" <[email-masked]> wrote:                Hi All

  1.                   Is it true that the routing key of an Application Server can have 1 and only 1 unique DPC (while OPC, SI, CIC can be different)? (This DPC is this AS’s point code).  
  2.                   The only difference about the IPSP and ASP is the point to point nature.  Does this point to point mean that the routing key for an IP server requires a DPC-OPC pair? Or it has other meaning?  I am not clear about this point to point.   
  3.                   If question # 1 is TRUE then it means the routing key of an IP server can only have 1 pair of DPC-OPC (while SI, CIC can be different)?

  MyHanh

E-mail confidentiality.

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,

 		
---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Next-gen email? Have it all with the  all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:05:21 -0400

Please see below for a small comment...

   Thanks,
   Tolga

1) An application server is uniquely identified by a Routing Key. Now this
Routing key can be any combination of DPC/OPC/SI/CIC. This combination has
to be unique across the Application servers added.

What this means is that you can have two Application servers added such that
one AS has a Routing key type as DPC only with DPC=X and another having
Routing key type as DPC+OPC where DPC=X and OPC=Y.

2) In IPSP-IPSP scenario, the communication is between two M3UA endpoints
and the traffic has not be carried over the remote end as in the case of
ASP-SGP scenario where the traffic is originating from SS7 side and has to
be carried over to ASP OR is originating from ASP side and may be is
destined for some point code in SS7 cloud.

So point-to-point means that between two end-points in IP
domain/conceptually no services of SG being used..For ex, an MSC could be
talking to an SG and IP resident HLR at the same time. So in this case ,
MSC-HLR communication is IPSP-IPSP( point-to-point) and MSC-SG is ASP-SG.

As far as Routing Key type is concerned, it does not necessarily be
DPC-OPC.can be DPC only also.
[TOLGA]Just to prevent a confusion, IPSP-SE mandates DPC+OPC as RK, because
it relies on the assumption that RK will identify traffic at both ends.
IPSP-DE won't require that but it is also questionable whether it is a true
peer-to-peer model or two coupled client/server relationships. Actually for
IPSP-DE you will need to define to RKs, one for each direction of the
relationship, which combined would correspond to the single RK of IPSP-SE.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:44:28 -0600

Tolga,

Tolga Asveren wrote:                             (Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:05:21)
> it relies on the assumption that RK will identify traffic at both ends.

Well, no.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: anjali gurmukhani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

Please see comment inline.

  -Regards
  Anjali.

Tolga Asveren <[email-masked]> wrote:
  Please see below for a small comment...

Thanks,
Tolga

  [ANJALI]But Single/Double exchange only determines whether one/two UP,ACTIVE messages are required for both ends to be Up and Active and start receiving messages, why limitation on RK type?

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:23:03 -0400

Anjali,

IPSP-SE is a peer-to-peer model between two AS. Communication starts
simultaneously in both directions and hence RK needs to define traffic range
at both ends. That is also the reason, why a single ASPAC/ASPAC-ACK exchange
is enough to start the traffic.

     Thanks,
     Tolga
-----Original Message-----
From: anjali gurmukhani [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:23 PM
To: Tolga Asveren; Bui, MyHanh; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Routing Key for an Appllication Server and an IP
server

-Regards
Anjali.

Thanks,
Tolga

[ANJALI]But Single/Double exchange only determines whether one/two UP,ACTIVE
messages are required for both ends to be Up and Active and start receiving
messages, why limitation on RK type?

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
countries) for 2¢/min or less.

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:17:35 -0400

...resending....

Regarding this issue, 4.3 from 3332bis provides some information:

Two IPSP models are defined as follows:

   1- IPSP Single Exchange (SE) model. Only a single exchange of ASPTM
      and ASPSM messages are needed to change the IPSP states. This means
      that a set of request from one end and acknowledgement from the
      other will be enough. The RK must define both sides of the traffic
      flow. Each exchange of ASPTM or ASPSM messages can be initiated by
      either IPSP. For this exchange, the initiating IPSP follows the
      procedures described in section 4.3.1.

   2- IPSP Double Exchange (DE) model. A double exchange of ASPTM and
      ASPSM messages are normally needed (ASPSM single exchange is
      optional as a simplification). Each exchange of ASPTM or ASPSM
      messages can be initiated by either IPSP. The RKs define the
      traffic to be directed to the peer as in the AS-SG model. Therefore
      two different RKs are usually used, one installed on each peer.

It is questionable to me whether ASPSM single exchange for IPSP-SE is a
simplication or an obstacle and whether it should be allowed at all but this
is besides the point for this thread. Similarly I would think that IPSP-DE
will require four -not two- RKs, two installed on each peer.

     Thanks,
     Tolga

> From: Tolga Asveren [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:05 PM
> To: anjali gurmukhani; Bui, MyHanh; [email-masked]

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:38:05 -0400

Thanks,
     Tolga