Subject: [Sigtran] Traffiic Mode : Help Please

From: Ramma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:29:04 +0100

Hi

I am trying to configure 2 AS to talk in IPSP: IPSP mode.  I am having
trouble with the traffic mode. Can anyone please help me out. I dont know
what am I do doing wrong exactly.

Local AS (One ASP)

My AS traffic mode : Override
Peer AS traffic mode : Loadshare

Remote AS (two ASPs)

My AS traffic mode : Loadshare
Peer AS traffic mode: Override

I have tried to configure as above with my local node having one ASP and I
have configured myself to work in override mode but I am talking to an AS
which is working in loadshare mode.
Similarly, my peer AS have two ASPs to work in loadshare mode and talking to
an AS working in override mode.

Is the configuration correct???

The problem I am having is that when my local AS sends a ASPAC, the traffic
mode it includes is override and my peer AS sends a ERR with invalid traffic
mode.

Regards
Ramma

-- 
Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Future Plans
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Ramma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:51:51 +0100

Hi Brain,

Thank you very much for replying.

I am struck in a situation where I have a node (My node) which is configured
as an AS and have the limitation that it can have only one ASP serving this
AS and the traffic mode is always override. There is no way to configure the
localAS traffic mode but you can set up the traffic mode for the remote AS.

Using this node I want to talk to a peer node which have 2 ASPs and these 2
ASPs have to work in loadshare mode. Any hence I have the configuration as
mentioned in my previous mail.

My questions would be

1. Is there anything "illegal" with respect to the standards regarding this
configuration. I cant find anything in the RFC which forbids this.
2. Is it mandory that if I am working in a particular traffic mode (say
loadshare), my peer should work in the same traffic mode ?

With respect to question number 2, if I have a situation where I am an AS
with 2 ASPs working in loadshare mode and I am talking to 2 different AS --
one of which is working in loadshare mode and the other one in override.
Cant I do that ???

Thank you very much for your time and I really appreciate your help.

Regards
Ramma

On 9/21/06, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Ramma,
>
> Ramma wrote:                             (Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:29:04)
> >    I  have  tried to configure as above with my local node having one
> ASP
> >    and I have configured myself to work in override mode but I am
> talking
> >    to an AS which is working in loadshare mode.
>
> There is nothing in the spec requiring an implementation to
> support such an arrangement.  It doesn't even sound useful
> to me.
>
> --brian
>
> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock
> [email-masked]
> http://www.openss7.org/
>

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:21:32 -0600

Ramma,

Ramma wrote:                                                         (Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:51:51)
>    I  am  struck  in  a  situation where I have a node (My node) which is
>    configured  as an AS and have the limitation that it can have only one
>    ASP  serving this AS and the traffic mode is always override. There is
>    no  way  to  configure the localAS traffic mode but you can set up the
>    traffic mode for the remote AS.

Sounds like an extremely limited implementation.

>    Using  this  node  I want to talk to a peer node which have 2 ASPs and
>    these  2  ASPs  have  to  work in loadshare mode. Any hence I have the
>    configuration as mentioned in my previous mail.
>    My questions would be
>    1. Is there anything "illegal" with respect to the standards regarding
>    this  configuration.  I  cant  find  anything in the RFC which forbids
>    this.

There is nothing prohibiting it, in fact there is no text restricting how an
APS distributes traffic over SGP.

>    2.  Is  it  mandory  that if I am working in a particular traffic mode
>    (say loadshare), my peer should work in the same traffic mode ?

I would say that is not necessarily the case.  However, no implementation is
required to support all traffic modes in all combinations.  I would suggest
discussing it with that implementation's creator.

>    With respect to question number 2, if I have a situation where I am an
>    AS  with  2  ASPs  working  in  loadshare  mode  and I am talking to 2
>    different  AS  --  one  of  which is working in loadshare mode and the
>    other one in override. Cant I do that ???

Again there is nothing in the spec restricting it; however, not all
implementations must support all modes in all combinations.

>    Thank you very much for your time and I really appreciate your help.

I think your difficulties lie with specific implementations rather that with
the specification.  You would probably get better traction by talking to the
vendors of the implementations.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:20:04 -0600

Ramma,

>    I  have  tried to configure as above with my local node having one ASP
>    and I have configured myself to work in override mode but I am talking

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/