Subject: [Sigtran] Default Traffic Mode

From: Saraswati Bose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Brian,
  Please suggest in the below scenarios.
  1. In case optional traffic mode parameter is not configured in SG then should it assign the traffic mode received in aspac message to the sender ASP?
   
  2. In case asp misses the optional traffic mode in ASPAC message then should sg assign the traffic mode configured for the asp at its local end?
   
  3. What if the optional traffic mode is not confgiured at either ends then what should be the default traffic mode?
   
  Regards,
  Saraswati

---------------------------------
Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.  Check it out. 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:51:18 -0600

Saraswati,

Saraswati Bose wrote:                           (Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:29:57)
>    1.  In  case  optional  traffic mode parameter is not configured in SG
>    then  should  it  assign the traffic mode received in aspac message to
>    the sender ASP?

Why not?  If it is configured to do so...

>    2. In  case asp misses the optional traffic mode in ASPAC message then
>    should  sg assign the traffic mode configured for the asp at its local
>    end?

Yes, if it is configured at the SG.

>    3.  What if the optional traffic mode is not confgiured at either ends
>    then what should be the default traffic mode?

None.  The SG should send an error if it is not configured for a traffic mode
and it does not receive one in the ASP Active.  The reason being that the
SG could start sending traffic (and perhaps large quantities) the moment the
ASP Active Ack is returned.  The ASP will not have time to examine the TM in
the ASP Active Ack before it is potentially bombarded with traffic of the
wrong traffic mode.

As a general rule for interoperability, always send TM in ASP Active and
always configure TM at both the SG and ASP.  The SG should always send the
TM in the ASP Active Ack, even if it was not provided in the ASP Active so
that misconfiguration at both ends can be more easily detected.

That's my thoughts.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/