Subject: [Sigtran] V5UA: Query reg Text formatted interface identifier

From: "Saurabh Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:36:48 +0530

Hi,

I have a query regarding Text formatted interface identifier.
In RFC 3807: V5UA ,    Section 4.2.  V5 Naming Conventions for
Interface Identifier   states :

   If used, the text formatted interface identifier SHALL be coded as
   the hex representation of the integer formatted interface identifier,
   written as a variable length string.

Format for Integar Based Interface Identifier
    0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |           Tag (0x1)           |             Length            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |        Link Identifier                              | Chnl ID |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Format for Text Based Interface Identifier
    0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |           Tag (0x3)           |             Length            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   /                   Interface Identifier (text)                 \
   \                   (Link Identifier + Chnl ID)                 /
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Example:  	Link Identifier = 3
		Chnl ID = 15

Integer-based Interface Identifier would be coded as
	Binary:	(0000000000000001 0000000000001000)
		(000000000000000000000000011 01111)
	Hex:	00 01 00 08	
		00 00 00 6F		

Question is : What would be the corresponding encoding for Text-based
Interface Identifier?

rgds
Saurabh

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 04:23:36 -0700

Saurabh,

Just a wild guess... but what about "000100080000006F"?

--brian

Saurabh Jain wrote:                                                (Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:36:48)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Saurabh Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:39:07 +0530

Hi Brian,
It will have to be "000*3*00080000006F" not "000*1*00080000006F"?  (because
Text Identifer has Tag value 03)

But then, next question is:

In IUA there are 3 types of Interface Identifiers are applicable:
    Integer based Interface Identifier
     Integer Range based Interface Identifier
     Text formatted Interface Identifier

In V5UA RFC 2 types of Interface Identifiers are applicable
    Integer based Interface Identifier
     Text formatted Interface Identifier

Now in V5UA, if there is no difference between Integer Based and Text
Formatted Interface Identifer, apart from there Tag values (0x01 & 0x03
resp), then why was Text formatted Interface Identifier introduced in V5UA
at all?

rgds
Saurabh

---

From: "Saurabh Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:24:17 +0530

Hi all,
Does anyone have update on the prev question of Text formatted interface
identifier (is there any benefit of using Text based ?

Also i have another query on V5UA,
   Is EFA field required in following messages:

   -         TEI Status Request
   -         TEI Status Confirm
   -         TEI Status Indication
   -         TEI Query Message (Request)?

rgds
Saurabh

On 11/9/06, Saurabh Jain <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
> It will have to be "000*3*00080000006F" not "000*1*00080000006F"?
> (because Text Identifer has Tag value 03)
>
> On 11/9/06, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[email-masked] > wrote:
> >
> > Saurabh,
> >

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:01:18 -0700

Saurabh,

Saurabh Jain wrote:                                                (Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:24:17)
>    Formatted  Interface Identifer,  apart  from  there Tag values (0x01 &
>    0x03   resp),   then   why  was Text  formatted  Interface  Identifier
>    introduced in V5UA at all?

Text formatted Interface Identifier was not introduced in V5UA, it was
introduced in IUA.  As the common header can optionally contain a Text
Interface Identifier, V5UA says how to format the text in case this option
from IUA is to be used.  However, it does not require one to use it.

Why does V5UA say not to use the Text IID?  Because IUA allows one to use
it in the common header.  Is it useful?  No, but it makes V5UA more
compatible with IUA.  Does in implementation have to recognize and support
a Text IID?  No, IUA only requires an implementation to support the binary
IID.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/