Subject: [Sigtran] Congestion levels in MTP3 and M3UA

From: Ashwani Kathuria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:43:16 +0530

Hello

I have one query - Is there any difference in congestion levels given by 
the M3UA and MTP3 to 
Upper layer ( SCCP ) in case of Network appearance is "National Without 
Priority"?

(i) Is it 0 in case of NO Congestion and 1 in case of Congestion

(ii) 0, 1, 2 and 3 based on the level of congestion given by Lower layer 
(SCTP/MTP2).

If both MTP3 and M3UA uses the same levels then what levels are used [ (i) 
or (ii) ]?

If both uses different levels then which level is used MTP3 and which is 
by M3UA?

It would be better if any specification ( RFC / Draft ) reference can be 
provided.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ashwani Kathuria

***********************  Aricent- Confidential   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 06:31:48 -0700

Ashwani,

For MTP, MTP-STATUS indication only includes a congestion level if the
MTP provides congestion levels (or congestion states).

In the same manner, per RFC 4666, the Congestion Indications parameter
is only included in the SCON message if the MTP provides congestion
levels (or congestion states).  Otherwise the parameter is not included.

MTP and M3UA in this regard precisely parallel each other as shown in
RFC 4666 5.5.2.3.3 on Page 111.

See also "Congestion Indications" under SCON message in RFC 4666 in the
middle Page 42 where this is spelled out quite clearly.

--brian

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ashwani Kathuria wrote:

> 
>    Hello
>    I  have one query - Is there any difference in congestion levels given
>    by the M3UA and MTP3 to
>    Upper  layer  (  SCCP  )  in  case  of Network appearance is "National
>    Without Priority"?
>    (ii)  0,  1,  2  and 3 based on the level of congestion given by Lower
>    layer (SCTP/MTP2).
>    If both MTP3 and M3UA uses the same levels then what levels are used [
>    (i) or (ii) ]?
>    If  both uses different levels then which level is used MTP3 and which
>    is by M3UA?
>    It  would be better if any specification ( RFC / Draft ) reference can
>    be provided.
>    Thanks in advance.
>    Regards
>    Ashwani Kathuria

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:07:53 -0700

Ashwani,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ashwani Kathuria wrote:

> 
>    Hello Brian
>    Thanks for the quick response.
>    The  Congestion  I  referred  here  was  not  the Peer side congestion
>    (indicated  by  the  SCON) but the congestion of my own (local) links,
>    which I want to indicate to the upper layer.

Please see 5.5.2.3.3 on Page 111 RFC 4666 and tell me if that is not what
you are trying to indicate.

--brian