Subject: RE: [SIGTRAN] M3UA : query on RC presence in messages

From: "Prabind Chaubey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:33:16 +0530

Brian and Tolga,
	It appears to me from our discussion that the only reason ASP
should include the RC in data messages is that for SG to verify that the
ASP is not sending traffic for inactive or an un-configured AS. But why
would ASP do that in first place? And if you still think the ASP can do
that then it's also very much possible that ASP includes the RC from an
active AS into the data messages for an inactive AS and starts sending
it to SG! In that case I don't see that SG can do much, other than
forwarding it to MTP3. There can be many other such scenarios.

Regards,
Prabind

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:36 AM
To: Prabind Chaubey
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [SIGTRAN] M3UA : query on RC presence in messages

Prabind,

ASPs can only be active for an AS.  They are not in some way active in
general independent of an AS.

The only way for the SG to determine if the ASP is active for an AS
(when
there is more than one AS for which the ASP is configured) is from RC in
the
message.  This is precisely when RC is required by the RFC.

--brian

Prabind Chaubey wrote:                        (Thu, 14 Dec 2006
00:28:39)
> Brian,
> 	And why should SG care about the AS for an incoming traffic from
> ASP if the ASP happens to be active? 
> 
>  
> Regards,
> Prabind

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:38:55 -0700

Prabind,

Yes it is there so both the SGP and ASP can have a simple and direct way
of identifying the AS to which a message belongs.  Why is it required?
So that every implementation can rely upon it being done in the same
simple way, and, thus, have a change of inter-operating.  The only other
way of doing so (digging into national specific routing labels with
national specific formats) is complex, unreliable and insecure (any AS
can claim to be any point code).

Turning this around (because there are likely about 200 email messages
on the WG archive on this subject), what is your problem with having
the SGP and ASP put the RC in the message?  It is a very simple thing
to do.

--brian

Prabind Chaubey wrote:                     (Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:33:16)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/