Subject: [Sigtran] MTP3 in multiple networks ( Please ignore previous email)

From: "Arvind Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:42:07 +0530

Hi!
M3UA can operate in multiple networks,
my doubt is whether MTP3 can operate in multiple networks of same variants
(ITU),
I think NO. Could you please point me some useful document related to this.
Suppose the configuration is as follows:

              Nwk2
|------------------------------------| |
|
|    | ---------------------------|    |
MTP3   Nwk1              M3UA

Suppose there are two SAPs  between MTP3 and M3UA each for one network. Is
this possible ?
If yes then how MTP3 will deliver the message to appropriate network as it
does not have any information
regarding network.
Or it is the case like this

 MTP3 ------------------------ -----
                                       M3UA
  MTP3  --------------------------

M3UA has two different SAPs for two different MTP3 in different network.
Please help.

Regards,
Arvind
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:30:00 -0400

Kumar,
 
It's not exactly clear what you mean when you say "two different
networks".
 
In the normal SS7 world, usually a "network" is differentiated by the
"network indicator".  Each instance of  MTP operates using a seperate
network indicator and there is no interaction between MTPs operating
with different network indicators.  So when a user routes a message, it
would specify the network indicator in the message and the MTP layer
would route over the appropriate network.
 
Not really sure if that answers your question.
 
Regards,
Lincoln

________________________________

From: Arvind Kumar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sigtran] MTP3 in multiple networks ( Please ignore previous
email)

Hi!
M3UA can operate in multiple networks,
my doubt is whether MTP3 can operate in multiple networks of same
variants (ITU),
I think NO. Could you please point me some useful document related to
this.
Suppose the configuration is as follows:

              Nwk2
|------------------------------------| 
|                                     |
|    | ---------------------------|    |
MTP3   Nwk1              M3UA

Suppose there are two SAPs  between MTP3 and M3UA each for one network.
Is this possible ?
If yes then how MTP3 will deliver the message to appropriate network as
it does not have any information 
regarding network.
Or it is the case like this

Regards,
Arvind

---

From: "Stewart Patch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:53:41 -0400

An SS7 signalling point can definitely connect to different networks. At
the very least this is spelled out in the standard, for example in the
case of an signalling point that acts as an international gateway. In
ANSI MTP3 a network is a collection of signalling points with the same
(small or large) network code and so any STP that acts as a gateway
between signalling points with dissimilar network codes is connected to
more than one network.

When MTP3 handles a message, it looks at the destination point code and
determines a route that it can use to transfer the message. The route in
turn determines which signalling link sets the message might leave the
signalling point on. The link set selected in this process will
determine which network the signalling point sends the message to. (For
details of this process see Q.704/T1.111.4).

Stewart Patch

Engineering
NewStep Networks Inc.

+1 416 979 5404 x485

-----Original Message-----
From: Haresign Lincoln [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 October 2007 8:30
To: Arvind Kumar; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] MTP3 in multiple networks ( Please ignore
previousemail)

Kumar,

Regards,
Lincoln

Hi!

              Nwk2

|                                     |

Regards,
Arvind

---

From: "Haresign Lincoln" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:04:23 -0400

THat's why I said it's not clear whether what was meant by "network".
In ANSI, the word network may have a different meaning than in ITU.  Are
we talking just different ANSI networks when talking about
NETWORK-CLUSTER-MEMBER.  Or are we talking about different networks as
in "Network Indicator".  Certainly a border switch can talk to two
different networks (meaning network indicator), but it requires special
processing to possibly reformat the message.
 
Regards,
Lincoln

From: Stewart Patch [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:54 PM
To: Haresign Lincoln; Arvind Kumar; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] MTP3 in multiple networks ( Please ignore
previousemail)

Stewart Patch

Engineering
NewStep Networks Inc.

+1 416 979 5404 x485

-----Original Message-----
From: Haresign Lincoln [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 October 2007 8:30
To: Arvind Kumar; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] MTP3 in multiple networks ( Please ignore
previousemail)

Kumar,

Regards,
Lincoln

Hi!

              Nwk2

|                                     |

Regards,
Arvind

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:08:33 -0600

Arvind,

Arvind Kumar wrote:                                                 (Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:42:07)
>    Suppose  there  are  two  SAPs   between  MTP3  and  M3UA each for one
>    network. Is this possible ?
>    If  yes  then how MTP3 will deliver the message to appropriate network
>    as it does not have any information
>    regarding network.

On the contrary, Q.752 provides a Network Indicator as part of the MTP-SAP.
It may just be that your implementation is limited.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/