Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA/IPSP: can peer IPSPs use different Traffic Mode Type values ?

From: "Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:47:13 +0200

Hello,

In IPSP mode, should peer IPSPs use the same Traffic Mode Type, or can they use different modes ?
For instance, one side being in OVERRIDE mode, while the other side would be in LOADSHARE mode ?
My understanding is that this is not allowed.

The only configuration where this could be "acceptable" to me would be when the LOADSHARE AS would be in 1+k redundancy model.
Any other "n" value would not allow this config to work:
only 1 Active IPSP can exist at the OVERRIDE side, while "n" (with n>1) are required for the LOADSHARE AS to move AS_Active.
Correct ?

However, would it work with n=1 at the LOADSHARE side, provided that the IPSP accepts an ASP_ACTIVE message with a Traffic Mode Type 
that is not the one that he woudl send in an outgoing ASP_ACTIVE itself ?
I'm assuming we are in IPSP-SE mode here.
In IPSP-DE mode, it would mean that both IPSPs would exchange ASP_ACTIVE messages with different TrafficMode Type values, and both 
would accept.

If that is acceptable, then i suppose that the IPSPs in the LOADSHARE AS should handle a received NTFY[Alternate-ASP-Active] message 
as in the OVERRIDE case, i.e. consider themselves to be moved to ASP_INACTIVE state, just as if they would have received an 
ASP_INACTIVE, correct ?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Best regards
Pascal Bouveron
www.netbricks.com

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran