Subject: [Sigtran] Regarding hostname/ip address based routing in SUA

From: "Ashish Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:55:35 +0530

Hi,

I  have two questions regarding the hostname/ip address based routing in
SUA, about which the RFC doesn't talk about.

Q 1) I believe that hostname/ip address  based routing will be of use in
the All-IP network, i.e. IPSP-IPSP mode of communication. Hence, the
SSNM messages generated by SUA layer in this scenario will be the result
of the invocation of the N-STATE primitive only (having affected
hostname/ip address  and SSN). Unlike, the SG-ASP mode of communication
where the SSNM messages will also be generated as a result of invocation
of the N-PCSTATE primitives. Please clarify if my understanding is
correct.

Q2)Inline with the previous question, since hostname/ip address based
routing will be used by SUA-USER in only ALL IP domain, so what, if at
all, would be the usage of network appearance in this scenario. As
network appearance parameter has the primary importance of identifying
the point code format in the SS7 interworking domain. I believe that SUA
can refrain from using network appearance parameter in this scenario.
Please clarify if my understand is correct.

Thanks,

Ashish

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:08:56 -0700

Ashish,

Hostname/IP address in SUA is broken and underspecified.  Further
it attempts to extend SCCP which is outside the scope of the RFC.
I fully expect it to fall out of use.

--brian

Ashish Gupta wrote:                          (Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:55:35)
> 
>    Hi,
> 
> 
> 
>    I  have two questions regarding the hostname/ip address based routing
>    in SUA, about which the RFC doesn't talk about.
> 
> 
>    Q 1) I believe that hostname/ip address  based routing will be of use
>    in the All-IP network, i.e. IPSP-IPSP mode of communication. Hence,
>    the SSNM messages generated by SUA layer in this scenario will be the
>    result of the invocation of the N-STATE primitive only (having
>    affected hostname/ip address  and SSN). Unlike, the SG-ASP mode of
>    communication where the SSNM messages will also be generated as a
>    result of invocation of the N-PCSTATE primitives. Please clarify if my
>    understanding is correct.
> 
> 
>    the point code format in the SS7 interworking domain. I believe that
>    SUA can refrain from using network appearance parameter in this
>    scenario. Please clarify if my understand is correct.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>    Thanks,
> 
>    Ashish

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/