Subject: [Sigtran] SCTP Heartbeat

From: "Srinivas Murthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:14:49 +0530

Hi,

I have a confusion in Section 8.3 of RFC 4960.

As per the RFC it says,

   "Only one heartbeat should be sent each time the heartbeat timer 

   expires (if multiple destinations are idle).  It is an implementation

   decision on how to choose which of the candidate idle destinations 

   to heartbeat to (if more than one destination is idle)."

Does that mean if we have an association with say 2 destination
addresses and both are idle, we have to send heartbeat to only one of
them per heartbeat interval? and as the selection is implementation
decision we can choose any one of them to send heartbeat to.

In this case if my implementation always chooses the same destination
address then how will we know about the health of the other destination
address?

Regards,

Srinivas Murthy

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:05:36 +0100

On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:44 AM, Srinivas Murthy wrote:

>    “Only one heartbeat should be sent each time the heartbeat timer
>    to heartbeat to (if more than one destination is idle).”
>  
> Does that mean if we have an association with say 2 destination addresses and both are idle, we have to send heartbeat to only one of them per heartbeat interval? and as the selection is implementation decision we can choose any one of them to send heartbeat to.
> In this case if my implementation always chooses the same destination address then how will we know about the health of the other destination address?
Hi Srinivas,

first of all: SCTP issues should be discussed on [email-masked].

The intention of RFC 4960 is that all idle paths are checked. So
always choosing the same idle path is a bad implementation decision.

I'm also wondering if it really is a good choice to send a HB every
HB.timeout+RTO+jitter. It make much more sense to do this for
every idle path every HB.timeout+RTO+jitter.

Best regards
Michael
>  
> Regards,
> Srinivas Murthy
>  
> _______________________________________________
> Sigtran mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran