Subject: [Simple] XCAP server over SIP

From: Daniel-Constantin Mierla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:35:53 +0200

Hello,

I added an XCAP server (supports basic operations by now) to open source 
SIP servers Kamailio (OpenSER) and SIP Express Router (SER).

Being embedded in the SIP server makes possible to transmit the XCAP 
documents via SIP (UDP, TCP, TLS, SCTP) as well -- HTTP/S support is 
there, but might be useful for (custom) phone implementations that don't 
have a HTTP client stack.

My first question is related to the XCAP doc URL, since the SIP URI is 
pretty different than HTTP, using a special header would be a better 
alternative? ie,:

XCAP-URL: /xcap-root/pres-rules/users/alice/index

Also, what request type to use for transporting the documents? There was 
a draft extending SIP REGISTER to carry payloads:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lennox-sip-reg-payload-01

Looks expired, couldn't find quickly a rfc for it. Does anybody know 
newer versions or other options? The draft specified Content-Disposition 
header extensions to store/remove documents. It is still implemented in 
our SIP server for transport of CPL documents (RFC3880).

Out of my curiosity, are here any sip phone developers that consider 
carrying XCAP documents over SIP is good in any way?

Thanks,
Daniel

-- 
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio (OpenSER) Advanced Training
Miami, Fl, USA - June 21-23, 2010
http://www.asipto.com/index.php/kamailio-advanced-training/