Subject: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-05 released

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:56:54 -0500

Folks: I have released a new version of the SIP overload control
draft, version -05.  (BTW, version -04 did not contain one crucial
consensus item that was hashed on the list, so -05 was released
shortly after -04 to account for this).

This version is a result of discussions since the Quebec City IETF.

More specifically, the following changes have occurred between -05
and -03:

- Editorial and typo nits.
- An expanded Section 5 to encode general behavior.
- Addition of S5.1 (Handshake to determine support for overload
   control).
- There was some confusion in Section 4.2 where -03 was ambiguous
   on whether or not a client should include "oc-algo" parameter.
   This has been ironed out in the first paragraph of S4.2.
- The client orders the overload control algorithms in the "oc-algo"
   parameter by decreasing order of preference, however, the server
   is not bound to pick the most preferred algorithm if it does not
   want to (new text in Section 4.2) [1].
- Clients continue to include all overload control algorithms in
   the "oc-algo" parameter even after the client and server have
   converged to mutually agreeable class (next text in Section 4.2) [2].
- Pushed the burden on re-negotiation to server instead of client
   (diffs in Section 5.8) [2].
- Specified a default (and reference) algorithm for loss-based
   overload control (Section 6.3).

-05 is available in [3], and a diff against -03 is available in
[4].

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00666.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00672.html
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-05
[4] 
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-03.txt&url2=http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-05.txt

Please let me know if there are any further issues with the draft.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/