Subject: Re: Please push the pound key ( was RE: Comments on draft-camarillo-mmusic-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt)

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:31:33 +0000

>Please forgive me for "not getting it", but why can things not be kept
>simple along the reasoning by Matt Cannon and others: If an IP telephony
>gateway terminates calls to a PSTN network with numbering plans having
>different digit string lengths, it can just insert a voice message: "Please
>push the pound key when you have finished dialing". Are there any problems
>with this approach?
>
>Thanks, Henry
>
Hello all,
  Amusing as this particular discussion is, I do wonder what most of the people
over here in the U.K. would think if they heard such an announcement.
If they aren't on strike, I'd dearly love to hear BT's call center agents
explaining that the "pound" key is not one with a Sterling symbol on it.

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd pay me for them"    |
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:52:33 -0500

OK, that's not so bad as what might happen 'way down south on this side of
the pond if the message said "press the HASH key".

Or how many people would freeze and say "duh?" if the message said "press
the octothorpe key".

Gee, maybe that last is a good idea, because while the poor sod sits
wondering what the f... an octothorpe is, the digit timer would have expired
and the call completed!

Dave.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Lawrence
> Conroy
> Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 8:32 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Please push the pound key ( was RE: Comments on
> draft-camarillo-mmusic-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt)
>
>