Subject: [SIP] OPTIONS method

From: "Vijeth D" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jan 2001 10:26:10 -0000

Hi,
  I just wanted to know as to what is the actual use of OPTIONS method. The capabilities of the end user will anyhow be conveyed in a 200 response to an INVITE request ( in the payload ). 

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:35:37 -0000

> Hi,
>   I just wanted to know as to what is the actual use of OPTIONS 
> method. The capabilities of the end user will anyhow be conveyed 
> in a 200 response to an INVITE request ( in the payload ). 

Yes, however, that implies that you've set up a session.  Also,
information is not just returned in the payload (think: Allow,
Accept.*, Supported).

OPTIONS enables querying of capabilities regardless of whether
any related session(s) exist or not.

HTH,

 - Jo.