Subject: [SIP] Tel-Url query

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:58:35 +0530

Hello,

I have a query regarding the usage of "Tel" URLs specified in
the RFC 2806 as a part of the Addr-spec within the SIP Headers.
The ABNF for the Tel URL includes

token-char = (%x21 / %x23-27 / %x2A-2B / %x2D-2E / %x30-39
                / %x41-5A / %x5E-7A / %x7C / %x7E)
               *(%x21-3A / %x3C-7E)

which is a part of "private-prefix". These characters include
"<", ">" among others.

Do these particular characters need to be escaped if the URL
appears as a part of the Addr-spec within a SIP header, like 'From'?

For example, if we recieve a message with
From: <tel: +3585551234567; phone-context=<fghijkl>>
Is such a From header valid?

Or should it be like:
From: <tel: +3585551234567; phone-context=%3cfghijkl%3e>

For a SIP URL, the RFC mandates that characters like "<" be escaped.
Is the same valid for Tel URLs within SIP Headers too?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards,
Mahesh

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip