Subject: [SIP] SIP URL comparison

From: David Kasujja <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:26:25 +0100

According to the SIP draft section 2.1: "scheme names ("sip"), domain 
names, parameter names and header names are case-insensitive, all other 
comparisons are case-sensitive."

 From my understanding this results in that the following (taking an 
example from the draft) are 3 different SIP URL's:

[email-masked], [email-masked] and [email-masked]

My mail client doesn't differeniate between the 3 (Not sure if it follows 
the mail draft), so the question is if the comparison of the user shouldn't 
also be case insensitive and if not why?

David

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:35:39 -0500

> also be case insensitive and if not why?

Before deducing proper behavior from an implementation, please consult
RFC 822 on email:

local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
                                                 ; case-preserved

This does not mean that every local system has to interpret case. It may
well map JDoe into jdoe, but that is no different than a local mapping
from j.doe or j_doe or john_doe into user name doe. The latter does not
mean that the protocol treats all of these the same.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Grant McSheffrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:41:59 -0500

If a client sends an INVITE request containing a Timestamp header,
should the Timestamp be echoed back in both provisional responses and
the final response, or should it only appear in the first provisional
response that is sent?

It seems to make sense that since it used to calculate timing, it is
only needed in the first response but I have a developer who seems to
think differently.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Grant McSheffrey
Test Engineer
EmpowerTel Networks

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:03:48 -0600

The timing of an IP network can naturally change over
time. If you are interested in using the Timestamp:
header, I would recommend using Timestamp: values
from all responses that you receive (with some
*intelligent* averaging mechanism).

/sean