Subject: RE: [SIP] Issue with BYE

From: Sekhar Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:59:00 -0800

Hi Vijay,
	It will surely have the address but it wont tell me anything about
the user right. I would like somehow to know that is is user agent C that is
sending the BYE message. Is there a way to get that detail from the message
?

Thanks

Sekhar

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay K. Gurbani [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 6:37 PM
To: Sekhar Banerjee
Cc: SIP List
Subject: Re: [SIP] Issue with BYE

Sekhar Banerjee wrote:
> 
> Hi All,
>         I have a wierd issue that I am facing in my call flows. While
trying
> to implement call forwarding I have come across a particular case which I
> would like the experts to look at.
> 
>         If phone A is trying to call phone B which has been forwarded to
> phone C. When C hangs up the BYE from C to A doesnt have anything in the
> message that would indicate that the message has come from phone C. Is
there
> any way in which we cna figure out where the message is comming from by
> looking at the message ?

The topmost Via in the BYE from C->A will have C's address.

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software/IN Architecture Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713
0184

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: William Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:51:37 -0500 (EST)

You might take a look at draft-ietf-sip-privacy-00.  The Remote-Party-ID
header is intended to tell A the identity of the subscriber that actually
answered (in your case, C) in the first non-100 response to the INVITE.
Of course, this is subject to various privacy restrictions, like whether
C wants their identity blocked, or whether B wants the forwarding 
information revealed.

But, all that information comes in the INVITE.  In the BYE message itself, 
best clue is the Via values.

Bill Marshall
[email-masked]

-----original message-----
From: Sekhar Banerjee <[email-masked]>
To: SIP List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [SIP] Issue with BYE
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:10:25 -0800

Hi All,
	I have a wierd issue that I am facing in my call flows. While trying
to implement call forwarding I have come across a particular case which I
would like the experts to look at. 
	
	If phone A is trying to call phone B which has been forwarded to
phone C. When C hangs up the BYE from C to A doesnt have anything in the
message that would indicate that the message has come from phone C. Is there
any way in which we cna figure out where the message is comming from by
looking at the message ?

Thanks

Sekhar

---

From: Itamar Gilad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:10:24 +0200

When C accepted the call it sent a Contact header in the 2xx response (this
is a MUST in bis-02). The Contact is "indicating the SIP address under which
it is reachable most directly" (2.6).

  Itamar

> From: Sekhar Banerjee [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sat, January 13, 2001 3:10 AM
> To: SIP List

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:52:23 -0500

> From: Itamar Gilad [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 10:10 AM
> To: 'Sekhar Banerjee'; SIP List
> Subject: RE: [SIP] Issue with BYE
> 
> 

Correct. The caller preferences spec also allows that Contact header to have
some parameters to tell you characteristics of the device. For example:

SIP/2.0 200 OK
Contact: sip:[email-masked];feature="voice-mail"

would tell you that you've contacted a voice mail server.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com