Subject: [SIP] questions on stateless vs. stateful proxy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:15:53 -0700

Hi, 

I have two questions on the concept of stateless vs stateful proxy. Based on
my reading of RFC2543bis-02 and FAQ on www.cs.columbia.edu, state in
stateful/stateless proxy refers to a transaction state. A call can consist
of multiple SIP transactions. So, 

(1) A stateful vs stateless proxy should be understood on a transaction by
transaction basis. Am I correct?
(2) A physical proxy can act as a stateful proxy for some transactions
within a call, and as a stateless proxy for some other transactions within
the same call. Am I correct? (Quota from FAQ: "These are also logical
entities; a physical proxy is likely to act as a stateless proxy for some
calls, stateful for others, and as a redirect server for even others." Here
it only mentions calls instead of transactions.)
Thanks in advance.

Jin-Gen Wang
Level 3 Communications, Inc.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:16:52 -0000

> (1) A stateful vs stateless proxy should be understood on a transaction
> by transaction basis. Am I correct?

Yup.

> the same call. Am I correct?

Yup.

> (Quota from FAQ: "These are also logical

Hmmm...using the word "calls" here (instead of "transactions") is
perhaps a little unfortunate.  It's not wrong, of course, but
"transactions" would have been more explicit.

HTH,

 - Jo.