Subject: Re: [SIP] draft-ietf-sip-handoff-00pre8.txt

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:32:49 -0800 (PST)

I just love this spirit of cooperation :(

> 1) the HANDOFF proposal is an individual submission to the SIP working
> group.  People can propose whatever names they like.  The IETF WG as a
> whole had nothing to do with the selection of the method name.

Correct, but given that this I-D seems to have a fair amount of thrust, I
*assumed* that it will perhaps some day make it as a WG document. Of course,
if your intention is to leave it as an individual contribution, then please do
ignore all my comments.

> 
> 2) We are beginning to run out of names to describe the various features,
> and even the different variations on some fairly basic functionality.
> Someone has a problem with every name which is proposed, so please propose
> an alternate, 

Rohan, if I actually understood enough about your I-D to propose an
intelligent name, then I would. It does concern me that more than one person
has commented on the fact that the name is not appropriate, and in both cases
we were dismissed.

However, in order to get some closure on this one, how about I do propose a
name, which again may not be what you really want (or even what this I-D
does), and my proposal would be "transparent call transfer".

> or understand that the english language is full of words with
> multiple, somtimes confusing names, and that is just the way it is.

Right, but with the Oxford English Dictionary containing over half a million
words, I don't see much of an excuse of abusing known terms.

PatC

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body.