Subject: [SIP] RFC 2543 - SIP Protocol Properties

From: Gaurav Taneja <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:42:09 +0530

Hi,

This is with reference to RFC 2543 (March 1999), page 19, section 1.5.2
"Lower-Layer-Protocol Neutral" . The last line in para. 2 states that
"TCP allows easier passage through existing firewalls".  Could someone
elaborate on how TCP supports this?

-Gaurav

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:09:40 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gaurav Taneja [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 9:12 AM
> To: SIP WG Mailing List
> Cc: Gaurav
> Subject: [SIP] RFC 2543 - SIP Protocol Properties
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 

Its the other way around. TCP doesn't support firewalls, firewalls support
TCP. They often let TCP connections through, but almost never UDP.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip