Subject: [SIP] What method should be used?

From: "Rami Lehtonen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:58:53 +0200

Hi all!

The SIP specification and the extensions defined for the SIP give a lot of
possible methods to be used for transferring parameters between two
end-points. In our case we are interested in transferring stream parameters
to an end-point (B) that starts the session with some third end-point (C),
see the figure below:

A  --parameter transfer-->  B  <===session===>  C

So should we use the methods like INVITE or MESSAGE (or even NOTIFY) to
deliver the parameters from A to B? Or should we define a new method for
that like JOIN, if we also want parameter negotiation between A and B?

Comments appreciated.

BR, Rami Lehtonen

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:54:23 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rami Lehtonen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 7:59 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] What method should be used?
> 
> 
> Hi all!
> 
> deliver the parameters from A to B? 

I do not know what a stream parameter is. SIP is not an RPC protocol nor a
means of generic data messaging between any two entities. If you are
interested in having some user A cause a call to be established between B
and C, you can use the REFER method:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-02.txt

or third party call control:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-01.txt

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com