Subject: [SIP] OPTIONS request

From: "Vijeth D" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 2001 07:26:29 -0000

Hi,
  If I am a UAS and i recieve an OPTIONS request on what basis do i decide whether or not to send a response? 
Should all OPTIONS requests be authenticated?

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:30:38 -0600

> whether or not to send a response?

Well, a UAS that believes it can contact the user MAY respond with a 
capability set of the user (codecs, etc.).  Even if a UAS does not want to 
return a 2xx to OPTIONS, it should return a non-2xx final response; a 501 
with an Allow header would be appropriate.

This is really discussed in the RFC.

> Should all OPTIONS requests be authenticated?

No.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184

_______________________________________________
"This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip
to subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body"