Subject: [SIP] Proxy and Redirect Servers

From: "Divya Nath" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jan 2001 12:21:18 -0000

Hi ,
     In section 4.2 of the internet draft 
ietf-sip-rfc2543-bis-0.2ps the following is written 

"Proxy and redirect servers treat all methods other than 
INVITE and CANCEL in the same way, by forwarding them accordingly"

Can anybody clearify how proxy and redirect servers treat all other methods in the same way?

Thanx and regards
Divya

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:50:31 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Divya Nath [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 7:21 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] Proxy and Redirect Servers
> 
> 
> Hi ,

THe primary job of a proxy and a redirect server is message routing. That
is, they receive a request, look at the request URI, and then based on some
logic, figure out the next hop SIP URL, and then forward (or redirect) the
request there. What this sentence is trying to say is that this processing
is method independent. A proxy routing should be done identically for
INVITE, OPTIONS, and FOOBAR.

The text is a bit confusing since:

1. ACK treatment is also different; ACK and CANCEL are almost always special
as they are associated with another transaction
2. Its really just the routing for which proxy and redirect servers treat
all methods the same way. A proxy will treat OPTIONS and INVITE in different
ways from a retransmission and reliability perspective.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com