Subject: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:21:22 +0200

Dear all,

The latest 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting dealt with a contribution about
co-operation between IETF and those 3GPP working groups which are working on
SIP protocol.

First a brief introduction of these 3GPP groups for those who are not
familiar with the organisation: SA2 is working group 2 in TSG (Technical
Specification Group) SA (Services and System Aspects). They are responsible
for the overall system architecture. CN1 is working group 1 in TSG CN (Core
Network) responsible for the Gm interface, i.e. the one between the terminal
and CSCF. CN1 is the WG which is most involved in 3GPP SIP work.

Tdoc N1-010233 titled "Feedback from IETF interim SIP working group meeting"
summarises the proposed 3GPP originated contributions and communication
between IETF and 3GPP meetings.

It became clear during the discussion on this document that the main reason
for lack of 3GPP originated contributions has been that the 3GPP delegates
have wanted to get the main 3GPP specifications more stable before
contributing them to IETF meetings.

However, it was also seen that sufficient stability is being reached and now
it is appropriate to start closer co-operation between the relevant working
groups of IETF and 3GPP. This needs to be done to provide IETF the
understanding of 3GPP decisions related with mobile SIP and to collect the
valuable comments and hints from the IETF SIP experts.

The following decisions on necessary 3GPP actions were made during the
discussion:

1. Chairman is asked to distribute a summary of CN1 SIP related discussions
and decisions to the IETF SIP mailing list.

2. The dependency between IETF RFCs and 3GPP TSs needs to identified. The
list of IETF SIP specifications which will be referred to will be
communicated to IETF SIP group by the rapporteur. This will be the list of
RFCs that are prerequisite for the publication of 3GPP specification as a
standard.

3. The work on the draft specifications is twofold: 3GPP needs to review and
comment on the IETF SIP drafts which are relevant for 3GPP, i.e. the ones
which are referred to by 3GPP specifications AND

4. Call flows defining the 3GPP related enhancements need to be contributed
to IETF by 3GPP members. This was addressed in the meeting by a drafting
group of 3GPP CN1 and SA2 members to draft an extract of 24.228 signalling
flows for IETF review and comments. 

An executive summary of the chairman's meeting report is attached. The full
report and the meeting documents are available in 

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_CN/WG1_mm-cc-sm/SIP_meetings/CN1_SA2_03_(New%20J
ersey)/

With Best Regards,
Hannu Hietalahti
CN1 Chairman
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:45:49 -0600

Hannu,

Where is the attachment containing the executive summary of this meeting?  
I checked the URL you included and was unable to determine from the
tdoclist, which document contained the executive summary.  Is this located
elsewhere?  

Thanks,
Mary H. Barnes
IMS Solutions Standards Strategy
[email-masked]
972-684-5432

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 6:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting

Dear all,

With Best Regards,
Hannu Hietalahti
CN1 Chairman

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:59:58 -0600

Hannu,

I apologize for the pedantic postings, but I've looked at the N1-010233 tdoc
you reference.  Is that the "Executive summary" to which you refer?  I'm
just trying to clarify for folks that aren't familiar with the 3GPP document
numbering process (i.e. IETF likes more user friendly words (for drafts) and
we all know SIP does too).  I'm thinking that instead of attaching the
"Executive summary", you included it inline.  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Mary Barnes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [RICH1:B602-M:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting

Hannu,

Thanks,
Mary H. Barnes

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 6:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting

Dear all,

With Best Regards,
Hannu Hietalahti
CN1 Chairman

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:03:38 +0200

Dear all,
 
I am sorry for this inaccuracy of my posting yesterday. I am still learning
the netiquette of this mailing list.
 
I had my message typed assuming there would be an attachment, then realised
that huge attachments might not be liked very much and changed it to a link
to the main 3GPP website. But I forgot to remove the mention about
attachment, sorry!
 
If you follow the link to 3GPP meeting documents, you should find folders:
Agenda  - agenda items for the meeting, this should be available before the
meeting
Invitation - How & when to get there, provided by the host
Report - Minutes of the meeting separated here to tell it apart from the
other meeting documents
Tdocs - all tdocs proposed to the meeting
Templates - CR-cover page, tdoc request form, etc.
 
The executive summary I first intended to attach is Summary-NewJersey0102
and the full report containing the decisions and discussion on all documents
in the meeting is NewJersey0102.zip. 
 
When reading either report you get a pointer to the actual meeting
contributions which are all in Tdocs -folder.
 
Some 3GPP WGs publish their report as tdoc but I don't do that because such
a tdoc would be difficult to find among hundreds of other tdocs from a
meeting. It would also need to be revised several times as I distribute an
interim report with the status up to closing of business every day during
the meeting.
 
The naming convention for all 3GPP meetings is:
MN-yy####, where
M = 3GPP TSG or TSG working group meeting
N = number of working group or P for TSG plenary
yy = year (note that we used to have 3 digits for year during 2000 but then
we had to hex code tdoc 
       numbers towards the end of the year)
#### = running number of the tdoc in this meeting (plenary or WG) since
beginning of the year
 
So e.g. N1-010223 is the 0223th tdoc during year 01 in TSGN (Core Network)
working group 1.
 
BTW, if you wish to follow 3GPP CN1 SIP activities more regularly then why
not add a bookmark to 
 
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_CN/WG1_mm-cc-sm/
<http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_CN/WG1_mm-cc-sm/> 
 
which is the folder for CN1 related meetings, both dedicated SIP meetings
and regular CN1 meetings covering GSM and UMTS issues additinally to SIP.
 
Regards,
Hannu

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22. February 2001 17:00
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: Hietalahti Hannu (NMP/Oulu)
Subject: RE: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting

Hannu, 

Thanks, 
Mary Barnes. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Barnes, Mary [RICH1:B602-M:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:46 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]' 
Subject: RE: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting 

Hannu, 

Thanks, 
Mary H. Barnes 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 6:21 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [SIP] Minutes of 3GPP CN1-SA2 SIP joint meeting 

Dear all, 

SIP protocol. 

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_CN/WG1_mm-cc-sm/SIP_meetings/CN1_SA2_03_(New%20J
<http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/TSG_CN/WG1_mm-cc-sm/SIP_meetings/CN1_SA2_03_(New%20
J>  
ersey)/ 

With Best Regards, 
Hannu Hietalahti 
CN1 Chairman