Subject: RE: [SIP] Re: Location information

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:31:00 -0500

>    I don't see what the problem is here. The proxy that
>    suppresses caller id is a trusted third party. Part
>    of the implicit agreement between my UA and the 
>    proxy is that certain entities -- 911 centers, etc, --
>    will always have access to my caller id. If you 
>    don't like that service, then don't use that proxy.
> 
This is a protocol issue because there are three entities,
the UAC, the outgoing proxy, and the incoming proxy (or UAS)
at the emergency center.  There has to be additional
specification that details how this works.  The spec probably
needs some MUSTs.  Some of the issues are:
	How does the UA indicate to the outgoing proxy that
	this is an emergency call?  What are the minimum
	requirements for caller identification and location
	that must be delivered from the UAC to the Proxy Server?

	How does the outgoing proxy server identify "right"
	emergency server?  What is the minimum requirement for
	caller identification and location that must be
	delivered from the outgoing Proxy Server to the center?
	Are there some minimum requirements for protocol options
	the emergency center (or proxy or gateway) must implement
	in order to provide the service needed?

It's not entirely clear to me that this is an IETF matter,
but it HAS to be done, somewhere.

Brian

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 03:05:03 -0800

I'm hoping that my 911 draft, either in its current form or a revised
version, will address the 'find the emergency response center'. There
are several parts to this question.