Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP in small adhoc and Pico networks

From: "Ashutosh Dutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:18:50 -0500

Michael, would you assume each Piconet member in the same subnet (broadcast
domain), can we define a well defined multicast address to get the listing of
the users with SIP UA enabled in the neighborhood, and their contact address,
may be by using something  like SAP/SDP.

Thanks
Ashutosh

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body.

---

From: "Michael O'Doherty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:15:04 -0000

Ashutosh,

I may have misunderstood the question, but I think there are a couple of
concepts involved here.

To allow all SIP clients in a particular broadcast domain know about each
other, the 'Hello' message approach (or register message acting as a 'Hello'
type of message) is probably the simplest and lowest message overhead.

If there is a desire to allow devices within a broadcast domain know about
multicast sessions available in the domain then SAP/SDP could be used,
although it would probably be worth investigating how multicast applies to
adhoc networks - this discussion is probably not appropriate for the SIP
list.

Cheers,

Mick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashutosh Dutta [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 02 February 2001 19:19
To: O'Doherty, Michael [MDN05:MD01:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP in small adhoc and Pico networks

Michael, would you assume each Piconet member in the same subnet (broadcast
domain), can we define a well defined multicast address to get the listing
of
the users with SIP UA enabled in the neighborhood, and their contact
address,
may be by using something  like SAP/SDP.

Thanks
Ashutosh

---

From: "Ashutosh Dutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:17:45 -0500

Mick, I was not  suggesting for  multicast sessions, rather ability of these
adhoc clients to annouce that they are SIP UA capable and they can do so by
announcing their parameters in a well  known multicast address (pre-provisioned)
by use of SAP/SDP so that other clients  in the neighborhood can figure out
about the existence of SIP clients. Only thing in this method is that , the
adhoc clients should be multicast capable.

Thanks
Ashutosh