Subject: [SIP] Multiple SIP URLS for same proxy server.

From: "Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:48:19 +0100

Hello everybody.

A SIP proxy can be addressed with a SIP URL, and via the URL the IP address can be found.
If I am a crazy network provider who wants to give the same SIP Proxy server different SIP URLS, i.e. 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
etc.

This should be possible as long that the domains and names are owned by me.
In this case if [email-masked] is looked up..the IP address will be located, which is the same one if [email-masked] is looked up.

So, as long that the SIP Proxy server registers all the SIP URLs at the registrars. This should be possible to pull off.

Is that right? Or am I forgetting something? Has this already been looked at and perhaps decreed as an illegal act? (like registrar only allowing the newest registration with the same IP address)

Thanks for your time

Greetings

Arnoud van Wijk
_______________________________________________________________
ERICSSON EUROLABS NETHERLANDS BV
Arnoud van Wijk
Research & Development (ELN/V)
Fax: +31-161 247569
_______________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:14:45 -0600

Anoud, I believe the speficiation allows the behaviour that you are
describing. However, some proxy implementations may not allow it.

Personally, I believe that a user-service proxy should be able to map
multiple URLs (a@b, c@d) to a single user profile, which may REACT
differently to the request depending on the original request-URI. But that's
just may, and implementations will vary.

Implementation-specific discussions should of course be deferred to the
sip-implementors list.

--
Dean

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 9:48 AM
Subject: [SIP] Multiple SIP URLS for same proxy server.

> In this case if [email-masked] is looked up..the IP address will be
located, which is the same one if [email-masked] is looked up.
>
> So, as long that the SIP Proxy server registers all the SIP URLs at the
registrars. This should be possible to pull off.
>
> Is that right? Or am I forgetting something? Has this already been looked
at and perhaps decreed as an illegal act? (like registrar only allowing the
newest registration with the same IP address)