Subject: [SIP] SIP Conference-Discovering Participants Identities

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 08:07:40 -0600

Have a problem with the strict requirements that for secure and confidential
business conferences, the identity of all authenticated participants should
be clearly be known and preferably displayed at all times during the
conference.

However, the I-D on "Models for Multi-Party Conferencing in SIP" states:
>4.5 Discovering Participant Identities
>   The identities of other participants in the conference are
>   NOT known through SIP.

Using RTP to display user identities seems broken, since an unwanted
listener can have no RTP packets sent.
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-conferencing-models-00.t
xt

Any other solution to display all participants?
How could a conference bridge signal to users who else in participating?

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body.

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 09:57:21 -0500

> How could a conference bridge signal to users who else in participating?

SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY may be an appropriate mechanism. However, nothing
prevents a participant from having others listening in, so this isn't a
foolproof mechanism.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs