Subject: [SIP] Extracting a call flow from a trace?

From: "'M. Ranganathan'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:27:33 -0500 (EST)

Hello and greetings!

Hopefully, this message is not directed at the wrong mailing list!

As I understand it, SIP is a stateless protocol. If all the messages from
a call flow are available to me from a set of log files that are ordered,
would it be possible to deduce the call flow (i.e. causal sequences of
messages) from just looking at the message logs (with no additional
information than the SIP Messages themselves) or is further information
required?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Ranga.

-- 
M.Ranganathan
NIST Advanced Networking Technologies Group,
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8920, Gaithersburg, MD 20899. 
Tel: 301 975 3664 Fax: 301 590 0932

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementer's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe sip-implementors" in the body.

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:32:08 -0600

> information than the SIP Messages themselves) or is further information

I would presume so; and further, you may be able to re-create the causal 
sequence of message flow based on the logs of only a UAC, UAS, or a R-R'ed 
proxy (as opposed to the logs of a UAC AND a UAS).

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184