Subject: [SIP] 3GPP current needs from SIP drafts

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:25:22 -0000

Hannu has circulated a summary of the last 3GPP discussion on the use of
SIP.

As there was a discussion in the IETF SIP WG ad-hoc on what drafts 3GPP was
currently looking at from the IETF, I undertook to provide the current list.

Before I give the list, I must stress that it is preliminary. The basis for
the list is the flows that currently exist in 24.228, and the elements of
signalling that they use. Therefore the list is probably incomplete because
24.228 is incomplete, and may be wrong, because 24.228 is still at a stage
where comments can significantly change its contents.

We are intending contributing significant parts of 24.228 to the SIP WG for
you to analyse, discuss, pull apart, comment on or whatever.

The list is currently as follows:

draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis		SIP: Session Initiation Protocol
draft-sip-manyfolks-resource	Integration of resource management and SIP
draft-ietf-sip-100rel		Reliability of Provisional Responses in SIP
draft-ietf-sip-privacy		SIP extensions for caller identity and
privacy
draft-ietf-sip-call-auth		SIP extensions for media
authorization

The N1-010273 that was referred to in previous discussion on this list, is
the 3GPP work item description. This document evolves from meeting to
meeting (changing tdoc numbers as it goes!!!!), and will be used to maintain
the list of areas where we are dependent on IETF work. 3GPP intends to keep
you directly informed as that list changes.

Keith 

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:14:28 -0500

Please see the following URL where you will also see couple of SIP I-Ds that
deal with mobility in SIP:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Drage, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 5:25 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [SIP] 3GPP current needs from SIP drafts

Keith 

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:42:56 -0000

If I understand your point correctly, and which drafts you are referring to,
then I have to reply that 3GPP are not looking at SIP for mobility, merely
to use SIP for session control in a mobile environment.

Mobility management in 3GPP release 5 will be handled by the underlying
General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) alothough more other IP strategies are
being looked at for future releases.

Also the mobility related drafts expired some time ago, and I have not noted
much interest in reviving them (a comment that is invariably a prelude to
screams of protest!!!).

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

> ----------
> From: 	Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	23 February 2001 15:14
> To: 	Drage, Keith (Keith); [email-masked]'
> Subject: 	RE: [SIP] 3GPP current needs from SIP drafts
>