Subject: [SIP] Product naming (was: SIP voicemail server)

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 13:46:16 -0700

May I suggest that

- "is there a SIP implementation that does foo?" belongs on the
sip-implementors list or, better yet, on the SIP Forum mailing lists.

- secondly, that vendors do not answer the questions in public, as
tempting as this may be. There are a number of SIP implementation web
pages out there (I happen to maintain one of them, as does the SIP Forum
and other vendor-neutral organizations) which will gladly add a pointer
to your implementation, free of charge. 

Thank you.

(No, I'm not the moderator, but with the number of SIP products out
there, I hope there's agreement we don't want to turn this list into a
marketing event, I would hope. The problem is that once one vendor
"announces" their product, every other vendor's marketing group feels
obligated to do the same.)

Henning

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 14:59:15 -0500

Thank you, Henning.

I would like to reinforce this request. Distribution of commercial product
information is considered in rather poor taste by the IETF (we try to be
non-product and vendor independent, remember?). Notice that I don't even use
my employer's email addressing when working here, because we have product in
this sector.

Your efforts in helping to maintain purity here will be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Dean