Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP MGCP i/w

From: "Info Van" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:56:22 -0400

hi matt,

>>"Q. What is the relationship between MGCP and SIP?" 
...
>>document (draft maybe) is available to help with the interworking ?

>Why is such a document needed? This is not something that needs 
>standardization, especially at this stage. Anyone can build an IWF that 
>speaks MGCP out one interface and SIP out another. How they choose to make 
>sense of each message is up to them. Let's not try to reproduce Q.699.

do you think the DSS1/ISUP I/W document was unnecessary or not upto it's mark ? why i am asking this is because, i need to ascertain and justify to me and my peers that the task that's assigned to me, is really not worth "standardization effort". any arguments would help.

thanks,
iv.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:21:53 -0700

At 07:56 AM 5/16/2001, Info Van wrote:
>do you think the DSS1/ISUP I/W document was unnecessary or not upto it's 
>mark ? why i am asking this is because, i need to ascertain and justify to 
>me and my peers that the task that's assigned to me, is really not worth 
>"standardization effort". any arguments would help.

Q.699 is a fine document, but it serves as a standard for traditional ISDN 
switches in a fixed, regulated environment. We are creating IWF's that go 
in devices such as Softswitches that are not at all fixed, and must worked 
in both regulated and non-regulated situations. We want the flexibility to 
evolve SIP and MGCP (same goes for SIP and H.323) interactions. This is 
very important as the utilization for SIP progresses to newer applications.