Subject: [SIP] Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-04 (out-of-band subs)

From: "Petri K. Koskelainen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:01:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

A comment about draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-04:

In page 8:
   ", the UA receiving the REFER SHOULD notify the agent sending 
   the refer using the NOTIFY mechanism.." 

I can imagine many situations (also outside of CC draft) in which the client
in some cases wants to be notified and in some cases does not want to be 
notified.

Is there any way to define this optionality in REFER ?
(other than new header)

I was thinking about caller prefs mechanism but it does not seem to allow
that possibility either.

I'd prefer that UAC sending REFER (or other non-SUBSCRIBE) method does 
not have to be automatically prepared to receive NOTIFYs (of course there 
is same Call-ID required but it is still inconvenient in some cases). 
Instead, the willingness to receive NOTIFY would be defined in
the non-SUBSCRIBE method itself (like in REFER).
 
Also, minor issue is that this is yet-another-extra-SIP-request/response 
which should be avoided in certain environments (e.g. wireless user in 
some cases may want to avoid unnecessary notifications).

This seems to be more general SIP issue, not limited to CC draft..

--
Petri

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.