Subject: RE: [SIP] Powerpoint presentation of Diversion I-D

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:29:02 -0400

As I recall, the SIP WG chairs pressured the SIP WG to not accept additional
work items.  Presentations such as the Diversion I-D were given 3 minute
slots to briefly touch on new draft ideas.  There was not time for
discussion of the drafts and any discussion which was started was abruptly
cut off by the SIP WG chairs.  Therefore, I'd definitely say that the
softarmor site is overstating the WG reaction.  
 
After each of the presentations, the room was asked for their reaction.  The
results on the site represent the chair's
determination of that reaction.  You can argue that the entire WG was not in
the room, you can argue that 
you did not get sufficient time to present the ideas.  You cannot argue that
we overstated the reaction.
At the time, the people in the meeting did not consider the draft very
interesting.
 
In the future, there will NOT be an opportunity to present a draft that has
not recieved significant positive
reaction ON THE LIST, or for which there are significant issues that could
be resolved on the list.
Not even 3 minutes.   
 
We have not officially rechartered, but when we do, there will also be an
attempt to stick to
the charter.  So the process (always has been, but rarely enforced):
 
1. Raise new ideas on the list, or write an I-D and start discussion on the
list.
2. Chairs will rule on the list if the item is out of charter
3. If significant positive reaction is determined on the list, keep going,
        move the discussion along, revise the I-D, ...
4. If issues arise that need face time in a meeting, ask for a slot.
                Don't summarize the idea, just the state you are in and the
                issue(s) that must be resolved
 
                Present all the ideas on the table
 
                Propose a resolution
5. When the I-D is getting solid, ask that it be put on the "last call
calendar"
6. Follow through until WGLC is reached and passed.