Subject: [SIP] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-isup-01.txt

From: Romel Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:25:49 -0400

A few questions/comments on ISUP to SIP mapping draft:

1. How this draft ties with "SIP Extensions for Caller Identity and Privacy"
needs to be addressed. The sip-privacy draft can be used for transporting II
digit information and presentation restriction information which is
important if the termination is a SIP endpoint.

2. Sec. 12, pg 47: Talking about ANSI ISUP, it has been stated "the
recommended behaviour is sending REL in response to CRM". Rather, shouldn't
the recommended behaviour following GR-394 (which will not actually result
in sending SIP Invite until the IAM finally comes)? There could be SIP GWs
in USA which interfaces using SS7 using SS7 with PSTN Access Tandem switches
that follow GR-394 and could potentially send CRM. 

3. In up front sections such as sec. 6.2.1.1 tel URL has been mentioned in a
way to make me think that SIP URL is not allowed (until I read further on).
Won't it be clearer to say statements such as "telephone number in the tel
URL" as "telephone number in the tel URL or SIP URL"

4. Sec. 6.2.6, last sentence: Shouldn't ACM also be included in the body of
the 183 response? Only 180 response is mentioned.

5. In sec. 6.2.1.1, page 16, 3rd para.: a set of parameters are called
"immediately useful". Why is Called Party Number (CPN) missing from this
list?

Thanks.

Romel Khan
Ph: (732)-363-0213, x241

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:12:30 -0600

Thanks for your comments. Some responses below.

Jon Peterson
Level(3) Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: Romel Khan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 9:26 AM
To: 'Gonzalo Camarillo'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [SIP] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-isup-01.txt

<JFP> I agree that the relationship between these two needs to be clarified.
Our draft should adhere to any general SIP privacy mechanism that is defined
by the WG. It doesn't seem unlikely that the work represented in the DCS
sip-privacy draft could evolve into such a mechanism, but today it isn't
clear that the entities on which sip-privacy relies are required for the
operation of SIP-T. </JFP>

<JFP> The point here is that it doesn't make any sense for a SIP gateway to
receive a CRM from the SS7 side. If it does, it is probably the result of a
network configuration error, since CRMs are only used in MF-SS7 interworking
points (which is why they are discussed in 394). </JFP>

<JFP> Since a SIP URI is potentially partially composed of a tel URL I don't
find this particularly misleading. </JFP>

<JFP> The preceding paragraph in that section mentions a couple of cases in
which 183 would be sent rather than 180. </JFP>

<JFP> This is a list of optional parameters. The preceding paragraphs
discuss the role of mandatory parameters like the CPN. </JFP>

Thanks.

Romel Khan
Ph: (732)-363-0213, x241

---

From: Romel Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:32:09 -0400

Thanks for the response. 
Regarding the CRM handling (item 2 below), I would like further
clarification. Doesn't the following scenario hold (if not, why not?): 
SIP GW (in this case analogous to an IXC) connects to an ILEC Access Tandem
(AT) using SS7. The ILEC AT may connect to one of the ILEC's class 5 end
office using MF. In this scenario, AT will send the CRM to SIP GW as per
GR394.

Thanks.

Romel Khan
Ph: (732)-363-0213, x241

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 6:13 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-isup-01.txt

Jon Peterson
Level(3) Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: Romel Khan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 9:26 AM
To: 'Gonzalo Camarillo'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [SIP] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-isup-01.txt

Thanks.

Romel Khan
Ph: (732)-363-0213, x241