Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-01.txt

From: Gordon Ledgard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:37:24 -0400

Agree.
 
There isn't anything inherently un-SIP like about providing some set of
common network
or user notification features.  The danger, as Venkatesh points out, is
making them application
specific, like jumping to the conclusion that I want to turn on a light, or
dictating how that
notification is to be interpreted by the recieving endpoint.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Bogdanovic [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 1:52 PM
To: 'Wai Wu'; 'Jay Batson'; Venkatesh Venkataramanan; 'Jean-Francois Mule';
'Rohan Mahy'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-01.txt

Wai
I would disagree with you. Audio/visual notifications are important to end
user and I belive giving some extensions to SIP will help the adoption by
the endusers. As Jay had mentioned it

Regards 

Dean Bogdanovic 
MCK Communications 
phone:(617)454 6165 
fax:(617)454 6101 
___________________ 
"the answer is 42" 

-----Original Message-----
From: Wai Wu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 10:40 AM
To: 'Jay Batson'; Venkatesh Venkataramanan; 'Jean-Francois Mule'; 'Rohan
Mahy'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-01.txt

I think features normally found on a PBX phone (e.g. message waiting)
shouldn't be part of SIP at all. If we put all these things in SIP, it will
make SIP not much different from a "standardized PBX protocol". 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Batson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 3:37 PM
To: Venkatesh Venkataramanan; 'Jean-Francois Mule'; 'Rohan Mahy';
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-01.txt

My comments aren't timely, so my apologies.

Venkatesh's comments are also consistent with typical IETF protocol /
application design.  Example:  Neither SMTP nor POP/IMAP specify how the
email "user agent" (Eudora, Netscape, Outlook) provides visual indication of
email message priority (X-Priority).

The creator of a given user agent defines its own user interfaces to
information that is provided in the standardized lower later protocol.  End
users then choose among available user agents (and behaviors) to get their
desired interaction.

Applications at either end of a transaction may want to agree on
Experimental extensions to show more information, such as the type that
Jean-Francois suggests.  In fact, this is how X-Priority came into being in
email!  Eudora just up and did it one day, and everybody else did what they
did!

-jb

At 03:29 PM 4/26/01, Venkatesh Venkataramanan wrote:

I would think that the functionality of SIP ends when it delivers the
requested Notification. What the phone/the entity does with it(light a lamp,
render the same on a display, provide stutter dial tone or audible
notification et al) is more a matter of the local policy (depending upon the
capabilities of the end point).

Venkatesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Francois Mule [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 12:42 AM
To: 'Rohan Mahy'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-01.txt

Hi,
The I-D mentions audible/visual message waiting indications in the
introduction but then remains silent on this.
Has there been any considerations to include the type of mwi
(audible/visual) as optional in application/simple-message-summary?
Jean-Francois Mule.
Clarent

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

-------------
PingMe!
Jay Batson
CEO
Pingtel Corp.
mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
781-938-5306 (office)

---

From: Jay Batson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:45:17 -0400

Exactly.  The protocol is responsible for encoding the underlying 
information, the user agent is responsible for the "presentation" of that 
information in whatever manner is appropriate for that product.  Indicating 
that a high priority message should be displayed is different for a UA with 
no light or display, or for a UA built for deaf or blind users, or 
....  That's why we *have* distinctions between encoding and presentation 
layers.

-jb

At 02:37 PM 6/20/01, Gordon Ledgard wrote:
>specific, like jumping to the conclusion that I want to turn on a light, 
>or dictating how that
>To: 'Wai Wu'; 'Jay Batson'; Venkatesh Venkataramanan; 'Jean-Francois 
>Mule'; 'Rohan Mahy'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>shouldn't be part of SIP at all. If we put all these things in SIP, it 
>will make SIP not much different from a "standardized PBX protocol".
>email "user agent" (Eudora, Netscape, Outlook) provides visual indication 
>of email message priority (X-Priority).
>
>information that is provided in the standardized lower later 
>protocol.  End users then choose among available user agents (and 
>behaviors) to get their desired interaction.
>
>Jean-Francois suggests.  In fact, this is how X-Priority came into being 
>in email!  Eudora just up and did it one day, and everybody else did what 
>they did!
>
>-jb
>
>
>
>>From: Jean-Francois Mule [mailto:[email-masked]]
>mailto:[email-masked]
>781-938-5306 (office)

-------------
PingMe!
Jay Batson
CEO
Pingtel Corp.
mailto:[email-masked]
781-938-5306 (office)