Subject: [Sip] Re: reason code in BYE/CANCEL (was[Sip-implementors] another problem related to multiple call l egs at UAC)

From: "Ashhar Farhan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 2001 17:05:13 -0000

a message code alone is a better option rather than a text alongwith it too. the reason is internationalism.

telephony, by definition involves spanning distances and geographys and cultures. therefore, an english message explaining the reason for call rejection (like 'Needs Payment') may not make sense to an arab or a japanese. however, reason code is easily localised to local dialects and sensitivities. (in my city hyderabad, getting a message like 'you dont have money in the bank to make this call' will be considered very rude).

if the text message that goes along with a message is customisable from message to message, it will effect definitive interpretation of the reason code. on the other hand, if the text message is not adding more intelligence to the reason code, it is best to localy generate it on the UA.

as per the original rosenberg-henning vision, SIP is not concerned with presentation layer, therefore, i dont see the need for text messages. For instance, how do you interpret these text messages to a display-less device like a POTS phone?

- [email-masked]

____________________________________________________
Buy Feng Shui Package for Rs. 151/- only, at http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/fengshui_mailer.htm

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:31:12 -0400

Do you mean to say that all such local-specific messages must be hard-coded 
into the end-device?  Could the protocol define a means of carrying a 
message, but leave the content to be generated by a geographically local 
proxy serving the end user?  Such a display text could be provided when the 
terminal can do such and ignored otherwise.  For POTS phone it could be 
converted to voice.  For more sophisticated terminals, it could be a 
voice-mail file.

Mike

At 05:05 PM 6/28/2001 +0000, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
>telephony, by definition involves spanning distances and geographys and 
>cultures. therefore, an english message explaining the reason for call 
>rejection (like 'Needs Payment') may not make sense to an arab or a 
>japanese. however, reason code is easily localised to local dialects and 
>sensitivities. (in my city hyderabad, getting a message like 'you dont 
>have money in the bank to make this call' will be considered very rude).
>
>if the text message that goes along with a message is customisable from 
>message to message, it will effect definitive interpretation of the reason 
>code. on the other hand, if the text message is not adding more 
>intelligence to the reason code, it is best to localy generate it on the UA.
>
>as per the original rosenberg-henning vision, SIP is not concerned with 
>presentation layer, therefore, i dont see the need for text messages. For 
>instance, how do you interpret these text messages to a display-less 
>device like a POTS phone?
>
>- [email-masked]
>
>
>
>Buy Feng Shui Package for Rs. 151/- only, at 
>http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/fengshui_mailer.htm
>
>
>
>

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:33:01 -0400

All good points. The Reason header is modeled after the Warning response
header which includes both a numeric code and text. Both of these match the
format of the status line of a response. The text is just informational. The
numeric code is what SIP servers should look at and act on.

(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ashhar Farhan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: reason code in BYE/CANCEL (was[Sip-implementors] another
problem related to multiple call l egs at UAC)

cultures. therefore, an english message explaining the reason for call
rejection (like 'Needs Payment') may not make sense to an arab or a
japanese. however, reason code is easily localised to local dialects and
sensitivities. (in my city hyderabad, getting a message like 'you dont have
money in the bank to make this call' will be considered very rude).
message to message, it will effect definitive interpretation of the reason
code. on the other hand, if the text message is not adding more intelligence
to the reason code, it is best to localy generate it on the UA.
presentation layer, therefore, i dont see the need for text messages. For
instance, how do you interpret these text messages to a display-less device
like a POTS phone?