Subject: [SIP] Bis03 section 20.2

From: Baniel Uri-CUB001 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:14:17 -0500

In this example Bob is being invited to a multicast conference. As the mcast
IP addresses show, the mcast addr (239...), which is being used to
distribute the Invite is totally different than the one, which will be used
for the conference itself (224...).

As a matter of fact Bob could be invited to the conf call by unicast means,
right?!
So my question is: Is there any ratio to multicast an invitation to a
multicast session rather than unicast it? or it just happened that the
example had both mcast elements?

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:48:19 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Baniel Uri-CUB001 [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 9:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] Bis03 section 20.2
> 
> 

That should almost always be the case.

> As a matter of fact Bob could be invited to the conf call by 

Indeed, this was the very purpose for which SIP was initially conceived.

> example had both mcast elements?

I think you mean "reason" and not "ratio" above. 

If I want to INVITE some group of people to an Mbone conference, and those
people are available via multicast, then the INVITE is sent to the multicast
group that those people are available on. Of course, I can also send an
INVITE using normal unicast, and this INVITE can describe an Mbone session
as well. There is nothing that mandates that an invitation to a multicast
session be itself multicast. It depends on who you are trying to INVITE.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com