Subject: [Sip] Inconsistency in bis draft

From: James Undery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:22:08 -0400

Hi,
Section 1.5.2 states in the last paragraph

    "User agents SHOULD implement both UDP and TCP transport. Proxy,
registrar, (sic) and redirect servers MUST implement both UDP and TCP
transport."

Section A1 says

    "User agents and stateless proxies MUST support UDP and MAY support
TCP or other transport protocols, stateful proxies MUST support both UDP
and TCP."

Also I'd note stateless proxies shouldn't use TCP as a server SHOULD NOT
close a TCP connection until it has sent its final response (Section
14.2). Although the removal of the CANCEL semantics of closing a
connection would allow this I guess, provided a UA can handle a response
on a new TCP connection. (Although the FAQ says a proxy must be stateful
if it uses TCP I guess this might have changed see
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/faq/cache/36.html)

James Undery

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip