Subject: [Sip] Bis-05: Registration and authorizing outgoing requests

From: "Shieh, Hugh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:40:57 -0800

In section 4, line 491-493, it says that "it is important to note that in
SIP, registration is used for routing incoming SIP requests and has no role
in authorizing outgoing requests. Authorization and authentication are
handled in SIP either on a request by request, challenge/response mechanism,
or using a lower layer scheme as discussed in Section 20." This sounds like
an important and strong statement to me even though the beginning of section
4 says that "this section ... does not contain any normative statements." 

Anyway, my view of SIP Registration is a little bit broader than just
"routing incoming SIP requests". I view SIP Registration as  means to
provide SIP user mobility as we claimed. Specifically Registration may play
roles in setting up Security Association between the UA and the proxy that
the UA is roaming to, so that the authorization and authentication on per
request base can be performed and SIP user mobility is provided by a SIP
mechanism. In a mobile environment, a UA may visit a lot a proxies and it's
very difficult for the UA to have pre-configured Security Association
between the UA and all the proxies it visits. 

Comments?

-Hugh

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:57:48 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Shieh, Hugh [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 8:41 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sip] Bis-05: Registration and authorizing outgoing requests

>In section 4, line 491-493, it says that "it is important to note that in
SIP, registration 
>is used for routing incoming SIP requests and has no role in authorizing
outgoing requests. 
>Authorization and authentication are handled in SIP either on a request by
request, 
>challenge/response mechanism, or using a lower layer scheme as discussed in
Section 20." 
>This sounds like an important and strong statement to me even though the
beginning of 
>section 4 says that "this section ... does not contain any normative
statements." 

Its not normative in that it doesn't contain MUST, MAY, SHOULD or other
protocol behavior. Its merely a statement of the general role of register. 

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:44:22 -0000

Perhaps we could however delete the words "It is important to note that" and
start the sentence with the remaining words, as this preamble is superfluous
and in fact self contradictory (if it is important why am I only noting
it?).

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

> ----------
> From: 	Jonathan Rosenberg[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	08 November 2001 5:57
> To: 	'Shieh, Hugh'; [email-masked]'
> Subject: 	RE: [Sip] Bis-05: Registration and authorizing outgoing
> requests
> 
> 
> 
>