Subject: RE: [Sip] New version of SIP DHCP draft

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 20:39:57 -0000

Could we have a bit more explanation of the discussion with the DHCP folks
and the ADs as to what the issues were (even if it is just a copy of some of
the exchanged mails).

The only discussion we have seen on the main SIP list is that there is an
incompatibility in one area of coding space, which would surely be a fairly
simple fix.

Your response however implies a new draft that would require significant
technical discussions.

Note that one of the 3GPP options requires this draft, but of course from
the UE, 3GPP is using IPv6.

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

> ----------
> From: 	Henning Schulzrinne[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	23 November 2001 15:43
> To: 	Miguel A. Garcia
> Cc: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	Re: [Sip] New version of SIP DHCP draft
> 
> After discussion with the DHCP folks and the ADs, it was decided that
> IPv6 in DHCPv4 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It would indeed be
> nice if somebody would step forward and write a draft extending the
> DHCPv4 SIP option to DHCPv6. However, to avoid further delays for this
> long-suffering draft, I would strongly suggest that this be a separate
> effort.
> 
> "Miguel A. Garcia" wrote:
> > 
> > Henning:
> > 
> > May I ask if there has been some discussion regarding the support for
> > IPv6 in this draft? I remember some e-mails in the mailing list some
> > time ago, even some volunteer to do the work. Is that work ongoing?
> > In a separate draft, perhaps?
> > 
> > Thanks a lot,
> > 
> >      Miguel
> >
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
> 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:36:56 -0500

> and the ADs as to what the issues were (even if it is just a copy of some of

The issue is relatively simple: Currently, DHCP options are defined
either for v4 or v6, but not both. (All RFC 2132 address-based options
are IPv4 addresses, for example, with no means to indicate IPv6
addresses. There are currently no DHCPv6 options beyond the ones
specified in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-20, as far as I know.)

Thus, including SIP-for-v6 in DHCPv4 would only make sense for rather
strange configurations.

In the simplest case, we can simply inherit the current DHCP-for-SIP
draft and transform it for DHCPv6, by making the option code 16 bits
long and defining a new encoding code for numeric IPv6 addresses.

However, since DHCPv6 is not complete, it would not be a good idea to
create a single document, since that document would have a normative
dependency on DHCPv6. Suffice it to say that DHCPv6 has had a long
history already (the version number provides a clue).

Given that we have now hopefully resolved the basic model for how DHCP
should work for SIP, it should be a simple matter for somebody to take
the current draft, cast it in IPv6 terms and submit it.

> the UE, 3GPP is using IPv6.

I suspect that getting DHCPv6 done is going to be harder thing, compared
to the relatively trivial SIP-for-DHCP draft. Since it will have taken
almost as long to write the draft as to compose this message, I'll do
the substitutions and submit it after the gates open again, unless
somebody else is dying to do this exciting work.

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 12:47:10 -0500

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-00.txt is a
first cut at the v6 version. I intend to submit this after the SLC IETF
when the I-D gate opens again. Comments are welcome.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs