Subject: [Sip] query on record-route and route treatment

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 03:34:41 -0500

Folks,

As all of us are painfully aware, the route/record-route operation in SIP is
one of the things that has undergone the most change since rfc2543, and
continues to be the primary source of interop problems. This is coupled with
the fact that we have additional requirements on what we want to do (loose
source routing) which may require further specification.

To assist in a reasonable resolution of this that maintains backwards
compatibility, it would be very helpful to have a sense of what people have
actually implemented. If, for example, all proxies copy the request URI into
the record-route, and add an maddr param with their IP address, there is
room for some interesting mechanisms to support loose source routing which
would not break backwards compatibility.

So, I would request that implementors send me a note with answers to the
following:

For UAs
-------

1. do you reflect URL parameters and record-route header parameters in the
record-routes in a 2xx response to INVITE (i.e., not JUST the user@host
portions of the URL)
2. how does your UAC construct the route set? does it implement whats been
specified in bis-03-05, or the solution which was documented in -01 through
-02 of merging the contact and record-route URLS?
3. how does your UAS construct the route set? does it implement whats been
specified in bis-03-05, or the solution which was documented in -01 through
-02 of merging the contact and record-route URLS?
4. when you send a request to the top element in the route set, if it has an
maddr, do you include that maddr in the request URI, and also send it there,
or do you strip the maddr and then send it there?

For proxies
-----------

1. how do you compute the value of the RR that gets inserted into the
request?
2. do you modify the RR in the response? If so, how?

Please send replies privately; I will aggregate the information and
summarize in a post to the list.

THanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip