Subject: [Sip] SCTP address in draft-ietf-sip-sctp-00

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:49:31 -0800

I think SCTP is an excellent transport for high availability SIP proxies.

A SCTP destination can consist of a list of IP addresses and a port.
Imagine that I want to send an invite to a proxy that is listening at
24.1.1.20 and 24.1.1.21 on port 5061 over SCTP. What is the syntax to do
this?
Should we have a syntax for this or just rely on everyone using DNS to
specify a SCTP address?

Thanks, Cullen

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:31:48 +0200

Hello,

we have submitted a new version of the draft some days ago. Until it
appears in the archives you can fetch it from:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~gonzalo/draft-ietf-sip-sctp-01.pdf

> 24.1.1.20 and 24.1.1.21 on port 5061 over SCTP. What is the syntax to do

The peer usually gives you a list of IP addresses and host names at
association establishment time. So you can use DNS to discover the host
name or IP address of the server (SRV records will tell you than it
supports SCTP). Then, in the SCTP four-way handshake you will get a set
of IP addresses to be used in case the principal one goes down.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]