Subject: [Sip] Question regarding 300 Redirect Response

From: "Chen, Xin (Xin)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:47:09 -0000

My quesition is: 

If a UA sends an INVITE, and this INVITE reaches a redirect server which
sends back a redirect response. My question is, can a proxy server on the
path issue the INVITE towards the new address on behalf of the UE when
recieve this redirect response?

I didn't find such information in Bis-05.

Thanks

Xin Chen

Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 883137
Mobile: +44 7799 034668

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:40:12 -0600

Jonathan: question for you buried towards the end...

> recieve this redirect response?

Yes, it can.  A proxy can "recurse" on a 3xx response, alleviating the UA
from doing so.

> I didn't find such information in Bis-05.

Doing a quick search on -05bis yielded some verbiage in section 16.6, Step 
3, last paragraph.	

Jonathan: is it a good idea to add some stuff in section 16.6, step 5 
"Choosing the best response" dealing with 3xx recursion for proxies?  -04
bis spelled it out a little more distinctly than -05 does.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184