Subject: [Sip] Review of draft-ietf-sip-refer-02

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:42:21 -0500

Here are my comments on the refer draft. I apologize if some of these items
have been raised before.

1) section 1. "SIP" is repeated in the second sentence.

2) section 3: I think the fact that the recipient's response simply accepts
the request and that a subsequent notification indicates that "the recipient
was able to contact the third party" should be expressed in the first
paragraph. I realize this is explicit later in the draft, but a "success
response" might be misinterpreted.

3) section 3.1: I suggest replacing "It provides a URL to reference" with:

    "The URL in the Refer-To header provides the contact information
    (i.e. the target of the reference) to the recipient."

in order to make a direct connection to the "contact information" mentioned
in section 3.

4) section 3.1: should this section reference RFC 2396 for valid URLs? Are
there any types of URLs which are invalid?

5) section 3.1, next to last para: s/end-end/end-to-end/

6) section 3.2, last para: s/end-end/end-to-end/

7) section 3.5.1 should explicitly mention the usage of the method parameter
in a SIP URL. It is not clear what a SIP INVITE URL is. I assume it is a SIP
URL with method=INVITE parameter or no method parameter (thus defaulting to
INVITE).

8) Question: is it legal for a Refer-To SIP URL to identify an existing
dialog that the recipient is a party to for the purposes of causing the
recipient to send a request for that dialog?

9) section 3.5.3.3, 1st sentence: s/identifers/identifiers/

10) section 3.8.2, 1st sentence: s/existance/existence/

11) section 3.8.2. Might want to point out that the cseq parameter in
present in message seven to distinguish the notification.

12) section 3.9. If it is legal to identify an existing dialog in a Refer-To
SIP URL, there should be some discussion of the possibility of a malicious
third party injecting requests (such as BYE) into an existing dialog.

13) section 4, 3rd para: s/referrenced/referenced/ (2 times)

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip