Subject: [Sip] General Issues on draft-manyfolks-resources

From: "Alan O'Neill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 08:37:22 -0500

Working Group / Authors,

Firstly, I fully recognise that these e-mails have missed the
draft-manyfolks-resources last call due to my late arrival into this work
area and other work commitments. However, I hope that the authors and chairs
will bear the following points and the associated extended mechanisms in
mind during their deliberations. I am happy to take private e-mail if you
would prefer not to further burden the list with these contributions. I
intend to submit the associated preconditions work as a separate
internet-draft.

The existing draft-manyfolks-resources etc is primarily designed to support
VoIP services (and associated set-up concerns as discussed in the draft) and
appears to be optimised for host based QoS signalling (eg CableLabs / 3G
RSVP models).

However, SDP is used by a wide range of multimedia applications and
signalling protocols. The ability to set preconditions on the progress of a
session is a very worthy aim but needs be done in a way which is useful to a
wide range of applications, and is capable of mapping onto a wide range of
QoS mechanisms and network scenarios. 

This draft requires extensive end to end message exchanges even in quite
simple scenarios and I believe could more efficiently support non-signalled
(preconfigured) QoS and early precondition completion which is useful in
many commercially important scenarios. 
 
I believe that draft has limited though very important applicability in its
existing form and its progress may hamper alternative or more generally
applicable schemes to be developed to provide SDP preconditions. It would be
better if the important requirements and mechanisms identified in this
draft, and the wider requirements, could be combined into a single framework
and/or at least designed to efficiently interwork. I do however recognise
both the age of the work/draft, my very late contributions to the subject,
and the commercial pressures and necessities that warrant its rapid
progression.

I have therefore included some issues and suggested modifications in
associated e-mails for the authors that I hope are helpful for the immediate
draft. I hope these modifications may also help better support the broader
picture and I will be submitting them as an internet-draft in the very near
future when detailed comments may be more appropriate.

Regards, Alan O'Neill

----------------------------------------------------------------
Notice Regarding Intellectual Property Rights

Flarion's submissions will conform with RFC 2026.  Flarion may seek patent
protection on some or all of the technical information submitted by its
employees in connection with the IETF's standards process.  If part(s) of a
submission by Flarion is (are) included in a standard and Flarion owns
patent(s) and/or pending patent application(s) that are essential to
implementation of such included part(s) in said standard, Flarion is
prepared to grant a license on fair, reasonable, reciprocal (license back)
and non-discriminatory terms on such included part(s).

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip