Subject: [Sip] asserted-identity-02

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:39:38 +0300

i have the same problem as before with this document, i.e., that the
concept of an identity of a user and the user's sip uri are not clear
and not necessarily the same thing.  when a proxy authenticates a user,
for example, using digest authentication, the proxy finds out the user's
identity, but that is not what the proxy places in the p-a-i header.
the header should be called-asserted-uri rather than
p-asserted-identity.

what comes to "hinting", as i have said many times before, i don't like
the term at all.  if the proxy doesn't agree with p-preferred-identity,
the document should say that the proxy SHOULD reject the request.
otherwise the whole thing would be dangerous to the user.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:39:06 -0700

Hi Juha,

> the header should be called-asserted-uri rather than

Your objections are noted.  Other than your individual objections, we 
have very strong consensus on the draft, so IETF is publishing it.  
You've made a lot of other comments that the WG has agreed with and have 
been incorporated.  The WG just didn't agree with you on that one.

> otherwise the whole thing would be dangerous to the user.

I agree that that is a very good policy to configure in your network and 
its equipment. I would recommend similar policies, but there are other 
folks who want to use different policies to satisfy different 
requirements.

If you want to write an Informational document describing SIP privacy 
policies that benefit the end-user, I will give it agenda time in 
SIPPING. I'd personally like to see such a document published.

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:04:12 +0300

forgot one more thing:

the preferred-identity (should be preferred-uri) header should not be a
p-header, because it solves a general problem in sip, i.e., sip today
doesn't have a means for an anonymous user to tell which calling party
number it prefers to use when the proxy forwards the request to pstn.

-- juha