Subject: [Sip] Over SIP Timer

From: Manuel Moreno Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:25:30 +0200

Hi

Are the SIP timer B, F and T4 necessary with reliable transports (TCP,
SCTP)???

Why??

Thanks

Manuel

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:42:48 -0400

inline.

Manuel Moreno Martín wrote:
> Are the SIP timer B,

According to 17.1.1.2:

  For
    any transport, the client transaction MUST start timer B with a value
    of 64*T1 seconds (Timer B controls transaction timeouts).

So, yes.

> F

Yes.

  and T4 necessary with reliable transports (TCP,
> SCTP)???

T4 is not a timer, its a constant. Timer K is set to zero for reliable 
transports, T4 for unreliable.

B and F still need to be set, because even though a TCP connection is up 
to the downstream element, it doesn't mean it is sufficiently alive to 
generate a response.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com