Subject: [Sip] heads up: status of MESSAGE method draft

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:30:26 -0700

Hi Folks,

I wanted to give everyone a quick heads up on the MESSAGE draft.

In response to IESG requested changes, Ben just submitted version -07 of 
draft-ietf-sip-message. In general, the IESG response to the draft was 
very good. Most of the requested changes were very minor. The only real 
significant change, was to make implementation of SMIME a MUST to allow 
folks to have end-to-end protection of their messages.  Note that this 
does not require folks to always *use* SMIME, just that it needs to be 
available in implementations.  This is following a general policy of the 
the Security Area (with the blessing of the IESG and IAB) that newly 
standardized protocols, or newly standardized usages of protocols, need 
end-to-end security. I'm sure the IESG will require the same thing of 
the Jabber community for XMPP as they did for us, and as they required 
of the BEEP community for APEX.

Now before anyone complains, I would like to remind you all that it is 
extremely unlikely that we could get MESSAGE approved without some 
end-to-end security mechanism. Feel free to bring the issue up on the 
saag list or in Atlanta if you feel strongly that the Security Area is 
out of line.

Once the new draft appears in the archives, I expect that the IESG will 
approve MESSAGE shortly.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip