Subject: Re: [Sip] Missing Phrase In RFC 3261 Sec. 23.2 (S/MIME)?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:46:57 -0400

Old mail, but I want to make sure we capture any possible bugs in the 
spec. Responses inline:

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
> Section 23.2 of RFC 3261 has this text: 
> 
> When a UAC sends a request containing an S/MIME body that initiates a 
>    dialog, or sends a non-INVITE request outside the context of a 
>    dialog, the UAC SHOULD structure the body as an S/MIME [sic, no
> period] 

I'm confused. In my version of the spec, it does in fact read properly:

When a UAC sends a request containing an S/MIME body that initiates a
    dialog, or sends a non-INVITE request outside the context of a
    dialog, the UAC SHOULD structure the body as an S/MIME
    'multipart/signed' CMS SignedData body.  If the desired CMS service
    is EnvelopedData (and the public key of the target user is known),
    the UAC SHOULD send the EnvelopedData message encapsulated within a
    SignedData message.

Are you sure you are looking at 3261, and not bis-09? This was an error 
in older versions of the draft, but it was caught.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:41:56 -0400

I see it's correct in the on-line version.  Not sure what happened, and
sorry to waste your time.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 2:47 PM
> To: Taylor, Tom-PT [CAR:B602:EXCH]
> Cc: [email-masked]'
> Subject: Re: [Sip] Missing Phrase In RFC 3261 Sec. 23.2 (S/MIME)?
> 
>