Subject: [Sip] TEL-URL questions

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:16:38 +0300

Hi,

A couple of questions related to TEL-URL use in SIP:

Q1.

When SIP-URI is used, if we include any uri-parameters we MUST put
brackets around the uri.

example:

To: <sip:12345;user=ip>

Also, I assume that the same applies for TEL-URL, ie if any tel-url
parameters are present brackets must also be used.

example:

To: <tel:12345;param=value>

Now, the TEL-URL also defines "isdn-subaddress" and "phone-context".
They are not defined as parameters, but as optional parts of the number
itself, even if they "look" like parameters from a SIP point of view
(since they are separated by ";"), so I would like to clarify if
brackets still must be used with those (otherwise the SIP parser will
treat them as header parameters), even if they are not defined as uri
parameters.

example:

To: <tel:12345;phone-context=123>

...instead of...

To: tel:12345;phone-context=123

Q2:

Which of the SIP-URI parameters (transport, ttl, user, method and maddr)
are valid also for TEL-URL? They are allowed from a ABNF point of view
(as tel url parameters), but I would like to clarify if they (or, at
least parts of them) shall be treated in the same way as if they are
received in a SIP-URL.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Stephen James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:32:40 -0500

According to RFC 3261, 20.20.

"... the "name-addr" form MUST be used if the "addr-spec" contains
 a comma, question mark, or semicolon."

That says to me if the "isdn-subaddress" and "phone-context"
are part of the URL then the "name-addr" form MUST be used.

> treat them as header parameters), even if they are not defined as uri

Don't know the answer for Q2.

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:52:53 +0300

Hi

> are part of the URL then the "name-addr" form MUST be used.

True. Thanks!

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:32:48 -0400

Please take a look at 19.1.6 of RFC 3261. It describes how tel URIs are 
mapped into SIP URIs. Note that the tel URI parameters appear in the 
user part of the SIP URL.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:54:15 +0300

Hi Jonathan,

> user part of the SIP URL.

My issue is more related to how SIP-URI parameters are mapped into TEL-URI
parameters, and if SIP-URI parameters can be used also in TEL-URIs.

The only SIP-URI parameter 19.1.6 mentions is the user parameter, ie when a
TEL-URI parameter is mapped into a SIP-URI then user=phone.

But, what about the ttl-, method-, lr- and maddr parameters? How shall they be
handled if received within a TEL-URL? I guess some of those can't be used, and
can simply be ignored, but there may be some that should be treated the same
way as if received within a SIP-URI. Or?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland